AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   How does NJ DMV Inspection work with Quatro!? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/how-does-nj-dmv-inspection-work-quatro-250272/)

Mark B 97 A4Q 02-11-2004 09:49 AM

How does NJ DMV Inspection work with Quatro!?

Hey everyone,
I just bought my Audi two weeks ago and I will need to get it inspected soon. NJ has the emissions test where they put the car on the dyno. Since I have quattro, this type of inspeciton wont work, Right? Wouldnt the car try to send power to the rear wheels if they put the dyno on the front wheels? And visa-versa.

Or am I just wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Mark B

faust92 02-11-2004 09:50 AM

You are right, we get off easy.

njskier (A4i) 02-11-2004 09:54 AM

They use an ODB2 connector and just run diagnostic tests.

No more dyno.

Silver Streakin' 02-11-2004 09:56 AM

yeah, and make sure the inspection station knows you have Q.

I recall people running into the shops screaming: "I HAVE QUATTRO!" as the tech puts their car on the 2-wheel dyno.

njskier (A4i) 02-11-2004 09:57 AM

They are not using the dyno for any car with ODB2 now

It's being phased out all together.

Silver Streakin' 02-11-2004 09:58 AM

define "They". There are always places behind the times with old school techs.

Digit@lex 02-11-2004 10:01 AM

"They" are currently the NJDMV inspection stations. I don't know about the independents though.

It's supposed to affect all of them. I know what you mean though. Sometimes they phase out a majority and leave a few stragglers behind.

Audi4orce 02-11-2004 10:02 AM

We NJ/quattro owners get lucky!!

If u look under the hood of your car, U'll find a sticker that exempts it from getting on a 2 wheel dyno. NJ DMV just hooks up the OBII connector and checks for emissions codes, then they do the smog test by reving the car to 2000RPM's for about 30 seconds...basicly u will pass with out any problems.
Now, something to watch out for, When u hand your car over to the INspection line, Make sure u tell them where the OBII connector is located(yours is located behind the center consel) and U better tell them your car is ALL WHEEL DRIVE!!!(NOT to put it on the DYNO) or else them idiots will line it up on the dyno...and the next thing....u can have the car jump off the dyno go sideways..cause damage....etc YOU GET MY POINT!!
It happen to my fathers toyota all-trac...

DG

Mark B 97 A4Q 02-11-2004 10:04 AM

GREAT.. So how many millions did NJ spend on those Dynos.. To use them for 3 years?...

That pisses me off. Those dynos are expensive. The NJ Government paid ALOT of money to put them into the inspection stations. That was only 3 years ago. WHAT A WASTE!

njskier (A4i) 02-11-2004 10:05 AM

What Dig said. :-) I meant the NJDMV stations.