A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How to fight ticket for 70-in-a-65 (LIDAR)... [more]

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-1999, 12:01 PM
Josh

Default How to fight ticket for 70-in-a-65 (LIDAR)... [more]

Radar has been proven inaccurate for < 10% over limit. LIDAR, however, is another monster, and I'm concerned there is no way out 5MPH over is 5MPH over and therefore a $200 ticket in Connecticut... Any ideas?<p>-josh
Old 06-03-1999, 12:12 PM
joemamma

Default Re:how about using the accuracy of O.E. speedometer

/
Old 06-03-1999, 12:15 PM
Jon

Default Calibration of the unit? When it was last serviced and the accurrcy verified? Also, make the point...

to the judge that speedo error makes it almost like you were doing 2mph more or even less than what you though.... It should probably get dismissed if you go. I can't believe actually paying for a 5mph ticket! Unless your record is bad... that may weigh against you...<br>Jon<br>'96 A4qs
Old 06-03-1999, 12:36 PM
Tony

Default Cars have a Plus or Minus 5 mph speedometer accuracy. Plead "not guilty" and tell that to the judge.

It's possible that your speedometer read 65 when you were acually doing 70. If the Judge still find you guilty, Appeal the decision and find a Liar, oops I mean Lawyer. <p>Most of the time when you plead not guity the judge lowers the infraction to something with less points.
Old 06-03-1999, 12:49 PM
chris murphy

Default Re: LIDAR inaccurate if moved even slightly

There was a court case on this a number of years ago where an attorney got nailed and so he took up the fight. The state tried to settle the case because of course they didn't want it going to court - if they lost, they'd lose LIDAR.<p>Well in court he used the same equipment the state was using it and was able to show that the wall in the courtroom was going something like 10 miles an hour. By using the angle of the wall and moving the point from far away to a point closer to him, the LIDAR equipment saw it as a moving target.<p>Anyway, the state lost the case. LIDAR is a lot more susceptable to this than RADAR.<p>Chris Murphy<p>
Old 06-03-1999, 12:52 PM
knh

Default Actually...

...I remember reading awhile back that cars have a biased accuracy measure as per US DOT regulations. They're allowed to overstate speed by something like 10%, but not understate it. Thus, you might be going slower than you think, but not faster.<p>Can anyone confirm this?<p>Of course, the judge might not know this.<br>
Old 06-03-1999, 12:55 PM
Jon

Default Happened in NJ...(more)

one attorney for the defense was playing with the gun during recess. Shot the wall and jerked the gun, and the readout said the wall was doing 10 mph or so. New Jersey had to stop using guns for a while (6 mos or so) and "test them" in real word use. They now use them again...<p>Jon<br>'96 A4qs
Old 06-03-1999, 01:04 PM
T2

Default Re: How to fight ticket for 70-in-a-65 (LIDAR)... [more]

I think R&T publishes the speedometer reading vs. measured in their car reviews. Maybe you could use some of that data to your advantage?<p>Tom<br>
Old 06-03-1999, 01:17 PM
Bullseye

Default Re: What is LIDAR? please enlighten (nt

NT
Old 06-03-1999, 01:22 PM
KLHI

Were you speeding? If you weren't, fight it. If you were, then just pay the ticket.

Quick Reply: How to fight ticket for 70-in-a-65 (LIDAR)... [more]