A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How to get rid of that floaty feeling in an A4??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get rid of that floaty feeling in an A4??

I don't know what to do and need some advice. I recently bought an Audi Assured 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro from an Audi dealer. I can't believe how soft the suspension is. It doesn't have the sport suspension package but it's hard to find a super clean used car and when I found this one I jumped on it. (Found one with the sport package but it had scratches & swirl marks all over the paint finish and looked as if it had really been beaten up by the previous owner.) I figured, "Hey, it's an Audi sports sedan so it's gotta have a firm suspension." I sure was wrong. I did insist that the dealer swap the 16" wheels and tires off of a sport package equipped A4 and install them on mine. The car has surprising grip at it's limits but the problem is everyday driving. I ease into the brake pedal as gently as possible and still, when the car comes to a halt, i get lurched forward in my seat and then slammed back against the seat back. This brake dive is significantly more profound than in the Ford Taurus company car I sometimes drive. What's up with that? How can I fix it? Also, the car has a really bouncy motioned, floaty feeling when driving at high speeds down lumpy New England back-roads. This is in comparison to my stock '91 Accord EX which has 120,000 mile on the original stock suspension. (The Audi has far more grip at the limits but I'm not tackling a slalom course here. I'm just high speed cruising down a relatively strait rural route.) I thought that this was the type of driving Audi's were meant for. What gives? I'm not bashing the car. As a matter of fact, I love it. I love the classy interior and the great looking sheetmetal. I am willing and eager to upgrade the suspension but need advice. I don't want to "slam" the car (I need to commute in heavy snow and over NYC and New England potholes). I also don't want to have a jarring or harsh ride when I hit these potholes. What should I do to make the Audi more stable? Please help or I will have to start taking some dramamine or other motion-sickness medication before getting behind the wheel.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Well, I think you know what to do.

You know its floaty because you didn't get the sports suspension, so do something about it. Get a new suspension. A low drop doesn't necessarily equal a stiff spring rate.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

also...stop delivering helium balloons for the florist...
Old 12-21-2001, 09:54 AM

Default Rear sway bar, and upgrade suspension.

The sway bar is a pretty easy upgrade and the results are pretty impressive. The A4 tends to understeer and the sway bar takes care of most of this. Also, upgrading the suspension will help a lot. Try looking for a stiffer spring/strut combination that doesn't lower the car too much.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he is asking which particular suspension will give him the performance he needs.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean you didn't drive the car before you bought it?
Old 12-21-2001, 09:59 AM

Yep........Better fix an apointment with Dr.Coil-over.....!!
Old 12-21-2001, 09:59 AM

Get the oem sport springs, shocks & sways put on by your dealer.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:15 AM

Default That should help with dive, but...

the sport suspension is floaty too. I think that if he's going to replace the suspension, he should go with aftermarket parts.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:20 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yes, but he wants to retain a degree of comfort.

If I read his post correctly, he's looking for a more aggressive suspension, while still allowing him to enjoy the car on pothole ridden New England backroads. IMHO, the factory sport suspension was very well tuned. It tightens up the car as much as possible, without making the ride harsh at all. That seems to be exactly what he's looking for!

Any aftermarket suspension upgrade is likely to be stiff enough to make those potholes unbearable after a month. If he is not willing to make a compromise in ride comfort for performance, it seems his best option is the factory sport suspension.

Quick Reply: How to get rid of that floaty feeling in an A4??