A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I have a dead A4 in my garage! Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-1998, 05:40 PM
Sergio C.

Default I have a dead A4 in my garage! Any ideas?

My car would not start this morning, I tried several times and eventually did, the Engine Light went on, the idle was rough, let it sit for about two minutes, started backing out of the garage and it stalled.<p>I tried re-starting it but it wouldn't, I left with my wife's car, 6 hours later we came back, tried again to start the car and no luck. Called Roadside Assistance and they are flatbedding my car to the dealer tomorrow! Any Ideas so I have something for them to look for?<p>Some History:<p>Car with 700 miles, didn't want to start after 3 days parked, after 3 tries, it did, no Light, I just assumed was cold.<p>Car with 10,000 miles, driving, 70 mph, the engine loss all power, Check Light went on for about a second, then power came back, light went off. Took to the dealer, they could not found any errors. I assumed, it could be bad gas?<p>Last week, Same thing as today, but the car started, the engine light came on, got to my office, called dealer and made appointment, left to a client, ligh was still on (Solid, not blinking) was there for about 3 hours,started car, Engine Light went off, everything back to normal, called dealer, told him about it, and they told me not to worry, it was probably OK, and that they will check on next visit if codes were present.<p>Now, a week later, the same thing this morning, but the car won't start anymore. Any Ideas? The car ran fine before I parked last night, It was a long ride (to the airport and back). I did the same thing I do every morning. The only thing out of the ordinary was that last night, it was so foggy coming back from the airport, that you could not see more than 30 ft ahead. Humidity?<p>Anyways, any info or ideas are appreciated. I need some sleep tonight! ;-)<p>Sergio.<br>98.5 dead 1.8TMS
Old 12-27-1998, 06:45 PM
Cool Craig

Default Re: I have a dead A4 in my garage! Any ideas?

Well, I aint no ASE technician, but I have popped my Ck Engine light on at Road America, while racing with the Quattro Club. Ivor at TAP put the VAG tool on my car and it noted some misfires on three of the four cylinders, more than once per cylinder. The Knock Sensor may be doing its job, by sensing the improper activity within the cylinders, perhaps this happens before the ignition has a chance to physically fire a plug?? Have you been foolish by changing the factory oil too early?? The piston rings may not be seated correctly if you did not allow the rings to seat with the factory oil, although i dont think that would give you the no start symptom as for humidity...i though it only affected Land Rovers & Jags???. <br>I hope you find the problem and can enjoy your car. <br>
Old 12-28-1998, 02:43 AM
KevinL

Default My experience.....

Similar thing happened to me after a spirit drive by my brother.. what happened was that the clamp that connects the hose from intercooler to throttle body somehow got loosed... well.. I got a clamp from a local shop.. put it back on.. no problem...<p>Chipped 1.8TQMS
Old 12-28-1998, 02:30 PM
MEL

Default You may have more then one problem.

I am not sure what tell you about the starting problem, I'm sure the dealer will have an answer for you before you read this. <p>Now, the total electrical failure at 70mph is interesting. It's like flying dead-stick. There have been a number of others who have experienced the same problem and the common link is that it always happens around 70mph. It also happens on a vw passatt. Interesting. I have been trying to figure this one out for 5 months and there is no trace that it happened and no way to duplicate it. But it will happen again. Sorry. The weak link is the electronics.