A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Its official...... the 12v is a bitch to port and polish

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its official...... the 12v is a bitch to port and polish

I've already done the throttle body, I enlarged both openings, the small one still has a little bit more to go, but its coming along nicely. I was shocked at how restrictive the design is. Really not audi's finest design.

I hate the intake manifold, it gets hotter than HELL sitting atop the god damn heads. So I'm making some Silicone gaskets that will prevent the heat transfer and keep my intake temperatures much lower.

The intake manifold was FUGLY dirty, I mean it was 100% brown/black **** coated. The EGR port was clogged up So was the EGR thermometer port.

This car badly needed this manifold cleaned out. The Throttle body was filthy too.

Truly fascinating is the complexity of this intake manifold. The upper half of the manifold has a set of 6 butterfly valves that open and close together, this is how it alters the volume of the intake manifold, when these are open the intake manifold's volume is increased greatly, but when shut it is reduced considerably, like 50% or something. The complexity of german engineering will never cease to amaze me.

Getting the manifold off was the SUCK. I dont even wanna go into how long it took to get it off even with the help of Joe and Jon.

By the way, I love my S4 office chair.... after beating myself up over my car and ****, nothing makes me feel better than this chair.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

At least its your gettin it done
Old 07-14-2003, 06:52 PM

Default yes.... I will finish it tomorrow

with the fresh silicone gaskets.... I expect to recouperate 5-10hp by the end of the day tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wasn't it fun to remove the EGR temp sensor? :-P [EDIT]

I recently took the intake manifold out, because the valley pan was leaking like hell. As it turned out, the intake manifold-to-head gaskets had been leaking, too. Took me like 4 1/2 hours from beginning till everything was cleaned out and put back together. My motor's running much better now, though.

You should occasionally check the 12v forum. Someone's still trying to figure out a way to mod the variable intake switchover valve for better performance. It might interest you.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:31 PM

Default Hmmm.... Its vacuum operated.....

however its a vacuum operated servo, **** I could put a normal motor driven servo on it to open/close it whenever I please.

As I understand it, that opens up when the engine reaches higher RPMs or WOT maybe? I havent really researched it yet, maybe next month I will.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:35 PM

Default Oh that EGT sensor...... Yeah I just clipped the 2 zip ties that were holding it short.... then

rotated the manifold so it was accessable with a spanner. Off it came. The kinky part was the EGR valve thing, you know the faucet from the exhaust pipe, LOL! WTF is that all about?

Argh I should probably replace the valley pan gasket too shouldnt I?

Also I'm gonna port the intake holes on the head, just for my own personal amusement.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, replace the valley pan gasket!

It's the same cheap green material the TB gasket is made from. Some of the damn valley pan cover bolts were so loose I could unscrew them with my fingers. The new gasket stopped all my oil leaks! And they said it was the heads. The part number for the valley pan should be the same as for my '96: 078-103-771, costs $16.

Anyway, don't overtorque the intake manifold bolts. If you do, you will lift the heads off the block and get a nasty head gasket leak.

I didn't touch the EGR valve (it's fairly new).
Old 07-14-2003, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, but the actuator is ECU-controlled

UrS4 is working on something. Check the 12v forum. We got all sort of nifty toys over there. Silicone intake hose kits, stage 3 throttle bodies, modded MAF housings, velocity stacks, EFK's, possibly a new exhaust is coming soon.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:56 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Have you contacted UrS4 regarding the TB mods?

I don't know much about the 2.8's, but Mance did some tinkering with the TB's (not sure if it was 30V only, or if it was applicable to 12V as well). The end result was a carefully machined TB would give you an increase in HP, but if you were off from an "ideal", it was going to cost you.

What are you using to do the machining work on the TB?
Old 07-14-2003, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default His custom-made pieces look awesome

Cool stuff with nice performance gains, and all for the 12v. :-)

Quick Reply: Its official...... the 12v is a bitch to port and polish