A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Jerking problem with my 1.8T Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-1999, 06:09 PM
Kevin B.

WOW! How much is it going to cost you?
Old 01-31-1999, 06:24 PM
don't know whether to be jealous

Default Why did you post this? It's non-informative and useless.

d
Old 01-31-1999, 11:37 PM
Jimbo

Default Wrong. The post is informative. It says that if you have real money,

which most 1.8T owners don't have, you can drive a real car like the S4. That way you don't have to put up with an underpowered econo-box like your A0.
Old 02-01-1999, 05:58 AM
Steve S.

Default Thanks for sharing Jimbo

No wonder BMW owners don't get along with Audi owners. I can really see the logic in calling a $27-29K 1.8T an econo-box, and your lofty $34K BMW not. <p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 02-01-1999, 08:56 AM
Jeff J

Default Re: Bringing a S4 into the country in a month's time thru privately...Cant wait!

I'm curious, as a United States Customs Broker, how are you going to clear and register the car and pass it through DMV. As far as I know the S4 has not yet been certified and the only legal way to do this is a TIB or Carnet on a temporary basis, registered in a foreign country and foreign Insurance (with a hefty bond attached). I've seen lots of cars come into the United States for shows and races, in other words, not street legal.<p>If you aren't aware of this please email me and I'll try and offer you what advise I can. If you've found a way to import and drive the car legally, other than what I've mentioned, please let me know.<p>best,<br>jeff
Old 03-03-1999, 09:51 AM
JC M.

Default Jerking problem with my 1.8T Quattro

I have a Manual 1.8TQ 98.5. My problem is during traffic driving. when enguaging into first or second gear (problem always occurs in 1st gear) and when you are maintaining a rev below 2 the car seems to jerk. i would apply little throttle to creep up to the next car but when letting go of the gas as in decelerating the car would jerk. you can literally see the rpm needle bounce up and down 100 rpm's. Any one else with this probelm? I am thinking that it is the Turbo's Internal wastegate it is not opening and releasing the pressure. <p>Any info would greatly be appreciated<p>JC M. 1.8T with many mods<br>(AMS/ABT stage 2, ABT filter, Oettinger/Sebring Cat back, H&R race/ Bilstein Sports, and last but not least PHAT 18" wheelies =)
Old 03-03-1999, 10:27 AM
Paul Cormeir

Default I have similar behavior with Garrett Stage 1

Low rpm, time to build boost, let off throttle before rmps get above 2,500 rpm, car lurches. Almost like there is a compressor bypass valve issue (not a wastegate issue).<p>Wrote garrett, no response, busy guy I guess.<p>Wonder if other 1.0 Bar chips exhibit this behavior?<p>Paul C.<br>Silver 98.5 A4tqms gchip/K&N<p>
Old 03-03-1999, 10:29 AM
CraigB

I notice the same thing on my chipless 1.8T.
Old 03-03-1999, 11:40 AM
steve moyle

Default Re: add a blow off valve and you wont have the problem.

x
Old 03-03-1999, 11:51 AM
Paul N.

Default I have experienced the same problem with my 98 2.8 QMS

I have experienced a similar jerking problem in my 98.5 2.8 QMS. When accelerating from first gear sometimes it jerks. The solution has been shift to second, or let off the gas, wait, and start over. Tried to duplicate the problem for the service tech, but it would not do it!<p>Paul

Quick Reply: Jerking problem with my 1.8T Quattro