A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just got my car back from a friend, multiple problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto Mick, maybe sunroof open in rain? ouch
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by loba
You have an image? I'm assuming you mean on the side?

My alarm is going off now too :-/ Anyone have a full wiring diagram? I do much better with those
Don't have a pic, they moved it around during model years. Seem to remember it has some foam around it.

Could be just in front of the passenger tail light in that "well" there.

This is what it looks like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CENTR...Q5fAccessories

See this post similar symptoms.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...p?h=0&t=487712
Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any luck on the wiring diagram? I could do a lot better if I could see what I was trying to figure out.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Any luck on the wiring diagram? I could do a lot better if I could see what I was trying to figure out.
Sold my Bentley manual with my A4.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

PM'd you with it Loba.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Perfect that's exactly what I needed to see. Thank you. Multimeter time this weekend!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm probably going to just bite the bullet and order the part. In hindsight it seems like it's been doing some wierd stuff since before this all started. Alarm would randomly go off. Guess that was a hint.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To the 3 people that are reading this thread, here's what I've learned.

Pulled the Central locking pump, looked at the controller. Had some carbon build up on one of the resistors, possibly blown didn't bother checking without a schemetic. All the connectors were beautiful and free of corrosion.

While the pump was detached I hooked up VAGCOM, was able to get readings. But not off the instrument cluster, which I assume is because of the wires that go through the pump to the cluster (sidenote, do 99 Audi's even have instrument clusters that can communicate with vagcom?). Hooked the pump back up, tried vagcom again, lost all controllers. So the pump is a pretty safe bet. Have another on order (100$) and hopefully this does that trick.

If I can get a schematic I'm going to try to repair the other pump and see if I can either have a spare, or turn around and sell it to get my money back.

Should have the pump next week, then I'll have it installed and being awesome.

ALSO, I'm going to try and hotwire my window (one that's stuck partially down) to see if I can roll it up before it starts raining. I'm going to jumper a couple connectors at the central locking pump and see if I can make it happen. Thanks everyone for the help and I'll keep you updated.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

To the 3 people that are reading this thread, here's what I've learned.

Pulled the Central locking pump, looked at the controller. Had some carbon build up on one of the resistors, possibly blown didn't bother checking without a schemetic. All the connectors were beautiful and free of corrosion.

While the pump was detached I hooked up VAGCOM, was able to get readings. But not off the instrument cluster, which I assume is because of the wires that go through the pump to the cluster (sidenote, do 99 Audi's even have instrument clusters that can communicate with vagcom?). Hooked the pump back up, tried vagcom again, lost all controllers. So the pump is a pretty safe bet. Have another on order (100$) and hopefully this does that trick.

If I can get a schematic I'm going to try to repair the other pump and see if I can either have a spare, or turn around and sell it to get my money back.

Should have the pump next week, then I'll have it installed and being awesome.

ALSO, I'm going to try and hotwire my window (one that's stuck partially down) to see if I can roll it up before it starts raining. I'm going to jumper a couple connectors at the central locking pump and see if I can make it happen. Thanks everyone for the help and I'll keep you updated.
All clusters should respond to VAG.com, even my 96 did however that central locking assembly causes lots of bugs.

You might be able to salvage the vacuum pump and resell it, the pump blades often fail.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
You might be able to salvage the vacuum pump and resell it, the pump blades often fail.
For a look at what Mick's talking about, see this:

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec149.shtml

Quick Reply: Just got my car back from a friend, multiple problems