A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Knocking Noise While Braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking Noise While Braking

Hello all. I own a 2000 Audi A4 Avant 2.8 5MT. I have owned it for about 8 months now and it has been great so far. One issue that has popped up since my ownership is that starting about a month ago, it will make a soft clunking/knocking noise while braking under about 15 mph. The noise is coming from the front driver side and happens about 50% of the time I am braking. The clunking happens while going straight and while turning. The noise does not happen at any other speed over 15 mph and the brakes feel relatively strong during braking. The noise corresponds with a slight pulsation in the brake pedal, so I believe that it has to do with a brake, axle, or control arm issue.

The brakes (pads and rotors) are in fine condition, with plenty of life left and no rust. The rotor doesn't seem to be warped as during higher speed braking, there is no vibration. The caliper piston seems to be moving freely and the pad sliders seem to be free of debris or roughness.

The control arms have about 60,000 miles on them, but from what I can tell, seem to be functioning properly.

The cv axle has about 40,000 miles on it and the boots (inner and outer) don't have any cracking or sign of wear.

It's kinda been driving me crazy the last couple of weeks and I want to get to the bottom of it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Alec
Old 11-30-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B5_2000
Hello all. I own a 2000 Audi A4 Avant 2.8 5MT. I have owned it for about 8 months now and it has been great so far. One issue that has popped up since my ownership is that starting about a month ago, it will make a soft clunking/knocking noise while braking under about 15 mph. The noise is coming from the front driver side and happens about 50% of the time I am braking. The clunking happens while going straight and while turning. The noise does not happen at any other speed over 15 mph and the brakes feel relatively strong during braking. The noise corresponds with a slight pulsation in the brake pedal, so I believe that it has to do with a brake, axle, or control arm issue.

The brakes (pads and rotors) are in fine condition, with plenty of life left and no rust. The rotor doesn't seem to be warped as during higher speed braking, there is no vibration. The caliper piston seems to be moving freely and the pad sliders seem to be free of debris or roughness.

The control arms have about 60,000 miles on them, but from what I can tell, seem to be functioning properly.

The cv axle has about 40,000 miles on it and the boots (inner and outer) don't have any cracking or sign of wear.

It's kinda been driving me crazy the last couple of weeks and I want to get to the bottom of it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Alec
Motor mounts?
Old 11-30-2018, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by B5_2000

Thanks,
Alec
Long shot but it could be an improperly torqued wheel.If so that would be very dangerous. At higher speeds (>15 mph) the dynamics can be different and road noise can more readily mask the knock. Something like that happened to me.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Moris39 good thought. I had this once and drove to shop, they test drove and confirmed the knock and wobble. Lifted the vehicle and tested everything except shaking the wheels. Could not identify the source. Drove home and put jack under to raise car again to look myself. Only then did I find loose wheel nuts. So simple yet so dangerous. I would raise vehicle, grab the wheel and see if it moves in any direction. Grip firmly and try to move the wheel in all directions. If nothing, then remove wheels and inspect all components, again trying to move them. If nothing, try the center drive shaft seeing if it has any excess movement at the joints, then remount and torque wheels and test drive.