A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

the latest automotive news from europe (more, long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-1999, 04:44 AM
KLHI

Default the latest automotive news from europe (more, long)

<B>Well, I've been in Europe for the last few days I've made <B>A LOT</B> of observations, the majority of which I have noted. After flying over from Boston, I had a long layover in London, where I had a chance to peruze the magazine stand. At the stand, I browsed through and, of course - being the cheapo that I am, did not buy three English carmagazines: <I>WhatCar</I>, <I>Car</I>, and <I>AutoCar</I>. From those, and in no particular order, are the following tidbits:<B><p>1) Here, Honda's are far more sporty-looking. They come withe goddies like body-kits and alloy wheels. On the North American Civic, I believe they are unavaliable.<p>2) The 3-Series Coupe is avaliable now in the UK.<br> <br>3) As many of you now know from my FrontPage article, the Cadillac Catera is essentially a re-badged Opel. Well, in Britain, a high-performance version of this car is sold. Previously, it came with a 5.7 liter V8. Now, the Opel has been fitted the the aluminium 5.7 lier V8 used in the Chevy Corvette. Now that is one FAST Opel. Please note, I believe though I am not certain, that - south of the 5.7 liter V8 - the most powerfull engine on that Opel is a 200 hp V6 (the engine used in the Catera).<br> <br>4) One magazine included a timeline of new models to be released. It had a table, with one column for each monht and the models set to be released listed in that column. Three Audi models were on the list: The Audi S3, the Aud S6, and the 225 hp 1.8T TT - in that order. Though I can't exactly remember the months, I believe the S3 will be released sometime this Fall in the UK, the S6 this spring, and 225 hp TT in late spring.<p>5) Honda has some sort of interesting looking Compact SUV. It's about the size of the CR-V, but it's much more attractive - I'm suprised they don't release it. Given the current SUV craze, I'm sure it would sell well.<p>6) Subaru has released sport models of both it's Impreza and Legacy (MY2000 - the new model) models. They both look far more aggresive - and fun-to-drive, than the American models. If they were released, they would most-likely be aimed straight at the 1.8T. A jab to the heart, if you will :-).<p>7) The Next-Generation 5-series will, according to one article, use aluminium <U>very</U> extensively. It seems to be that that BMW has taken a page from Audi's book with the A8 here. There were released dates listed, but I'm sorry to say they slipped my mind. I believe, however, that it was somewhere around calendar year 2003.<p>8) I saw a comparison between the new Mercedes S55 AMG and the Audi S8 (hmmm . . . what's missing here . . . hmmm . . . oh ya, a BMW M7 - that's right). Though it did not produce a winner to my knowledge, I was intrigued by an interior picture of the S8. It showed a 3-spoke sterring wheel slightly different from that in my Sport-Steering-Wheel equipped 2.8. Though I certainly may be hallucianating here, it seemed to me that the top of the stering wheel was more curved. Strange isn't it.<p>9) The Ford Contour, known as the Mondeo is Europe - has been redesigned. The new design looks similar to the old, though it clearly looks more aggresive and European. The magazine compared it to the BMW 3-Series and Honda Accord Type R (see below), both of which it tied. The Contour, however, has been clearly improved.<p>10) The Honda Accord Type-R is actually a car I had heard about before. It is, of course, the high-performance version of the Accord. I found out about it at an enthusiast webiste for one of those modidied fine East-Asian Automodiles - if you get my lead. In any event, it looks very cool with all the normal aftermarket modificatons (195 hp VTEC engine from the prelude, body kit, alloy wheels, exhaust, spoiler, sport seats).<p>11) The car which, I believe, the current G20 is based on, has recieved updates from Nissan. The G20 will also likely recieve these updates. Now, I can't realy tell you if this included powerplant modifications (I was skimming the magazine, not reading it in detail), but it would certainly be a logical chage.<p>12) The Alfa-Romeo 156 has recieved a diesel engine. I highly believe this will boost sales powerfully as diesels are quiete common in Europe.<p>13) Major revisions have been made to the Porsche Boxster. They give it more power and, I believe, styling which makes it more resemble the concept car it is based on and less resemble the new 911 convertible. Not much of a suprise there.<p>14) A3's seemed quite prominent in the magazines. They were mentioned many a time and, indeed, a great deal more than the A4.<p>15) Generally, both interior and exterior stylign seemed very bold - though especially interior syling. There was a total lack of Japanease and even American-syle blandness. It even seemed as if the recent sucsess of Japanease autos is because they have sucsedded in making their cars more bold sytylinticly. The most bold interior, however, came from Rover. One of their future models had a incredibly beautifull retro interior.<p>16) I can't quite fathom what BMW is doing with Rover. They are positioning it clearly upmarket. It seems to me as if they are trying to position Rover's top-of-the-line models above BMW and it's cheaper models below BMW. As for the midsize and midprice market, I think BMW is trying to eliminate Rover's offerings there.<p>17) Generally, I found 3-spoke sterring wheels to be undiniable common. I susect that this may be do to the lack of airbags in many cars, hencemaking it easier to build a 3-spoke wheel. I found it strange because, in America 4-spoke wheels are the undeniable king.<p>18) <I>WhatCar</I> has driven the 225 hp TT coupe. I believe that they have published a test report, though I did not see it<p>19) S8 has interesting trim and suede inserts. I really liked the suede because it was the same color as the seat. Generally, I don't much like the blue suede that is all to common in many cars as I find that a bit tacky. But the black suede/cloth combination really worked for me and I'm sure I would enjoy the extra gripping power of suede. The trim was strange. I didn't realy get a chance to indetify it. It look a lot like Carbon Fibre but I couldn't shake off the feeling that it was some sort of exotic grey wood.<p>20) The new S-Type tied the E-Class in a comparison.<p>21) A new Bugatti will be powered by (get this) an 18-cylinder engine. The car, a sedan - which I thought had an uncanny resemblance to the Jaguar S-Type, will be powered by an engine in the W-layout. That is, 3 of VW's VR6 engines will be lined up. By my calculations, that will prouce approximately 600 hp if the upcoming 200 hp version of the VR6 is used.<p>22) I saw one little article which I didn't get a chance to read, which stated that VW was in some sort of legal trouble. In any event . . .<p>23) The 180hp 1.8T A3 has just been released.<p>24) One article says that VM is "finally focusing on diesel".<p>25) There was a review of the Honda S2000, I didn't get to read it though.<p>26) IT seems to me like the both USA-style minivans and SUV's are begninging to catch on. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing but . . .<p><B>While I was on my plane and in the airport, I spotted a few interesting things:<B><p>I -Alfa-Romeo's and VW Golf's are the cars used in mainly by the Airport (Gatwick, in this case).<br>II -My plane flew RIGHT over Venice. It was beatifull. Actualy, usually the plane takes a route over Yugoslavia and (suprise) Kosovo. I supect the recent/current (depening on your opinion) war has verred planes away from the site.<br>III -My plane also flew over a good section of Southgern Germany and, to my delight, I saw little piece of highway through the clouds. Might it perhaps be the autobahn? I shall never know.<br>IV -I saw an Italian highway, upon which people often drive at similar speeds.<br>V -At the airport, I saw a small flash of an orange car. I have a nagging suspiccion that this might be a India Red VW bora. If it was, I can now publish my comments on this board. I thought it looked really cool, far more orange in person that in the picures I have seen. It's very flashy and if it catches on, I wold not be suprised if it becomes the new "Arrest-Me-Red".<br>VI -For the first time, I saw a Land Rover discovery which had not been turned into luxury car by the process of importing it into the US. To me, it semmed like the total essence of what the new Nisssan X-Terra is. It even had the same buldge in the rear as the X-Terra, though this one was actaully a depression but moving on.<br>VII -As I walked by a racing arcade game I noticed that the cars one could race with were listed on the top. To my suprise, two of the four were sprort-sedans. One was a Mercedes-Benz C-Class AMG (don't ask for the engine size - it wasn't listed) and the other I can't remember.<br>VIII -My taxi to the Airport was a Cadillac DeVille and I was actually suprised by the quality of the car. In recent years, I began to respect Cadillac as a luxury car manufacturer, if one whose products I would never buy for various reasons. When I stepped in the car, I was shocked my relative noise of the engine (louder than my 2.8 in the front seat), brake sqeal (no kidding), and lousy fit-and-finish (fake wood, etc). Furthermore, it was clear to me that the car was targeted to people in their 60's, most clearly by the northstar system. I finally discovered what the Northstar system is: a glorified version of OBD II - no kidding.<br>IX - At the airport terminal, I encountered what I believed to be the Candaian (eh) national soccer team. I was probably wrong but I didnt have the guts to ask one of the players (darn).<p><B>Well, now I'm in Athens, and drivig around I have been counting my spottings of the following cars:</B><p>Audi A3: 22<br>Audi A4: 28<br>Audi A6: 2 (plus one last-generation model)<br>Audi A8: 0 (I'm not sure if it's sold here, but that has little to do with the number of sightings. I've only seen a half-dozen or so in Boston)<br>Audi TT: 2 (I've only spotted that many in Boston)<br>Alfa-Romeo 156: 13<br>Audi 90: 39 (there are lots of these here)<br>Lotus Elise: 2 (no kidding)<p><B> Now I'll Post Some Comments on The Automotive situation in Athens and elborate on the Tasty Tidbits Above</B><p>-As soon as I got out of my plane, I spotted a Volvo V40. Since then, I've seen half-dozen or so of these. The Sedan's (S40) look much better than the wagons IMHO. The rear of the V40 looks like that the Mercedes E-Class wagon - yuck. The Sedan looks a bit like the S80, though less rounded.<br>-As I came to the Taxi Stand I spotted two cars I had never seen before: A Mercedes-Benz 600 SEL (known to many as the S600 or the V12 S-Class) with prominent and clearly aftermarket "V12" badges in several locations; and a Lotus Elise - which is absoluely drop-dead gorguoes, my mouth is watering at the thought. A few minutes later, I saw another (it was a different color) at an inerection. Whoa! What luck.<br>-I've seen two Audi-dealers, both of which are clearly styled in the European tradition of big glass panels and constant lighting to 'make the establishment look open'! The latter, I've been told, is the largest in the city. It's not very big actually, about the size of, say Pass and Weisz Audi in Burlington, Mass. Apologies to non-New Englanders. Both have 3 or 4 cars in their showrooms.<br>-There are quite a few roadsters, which is not very supising given the warm climate. Here, they are practically practical (I'm gonna leave that lexical coincidence there for the general amusement of the public)! Along with the usual compliment of BMW Z3's, Porche Boxsters, Mercedes Benz CLK's, and Mazda Miatas, there are many Fiat (styled a bit like the old MB 300SL coupe with the wheel arches and so on) and even MG roadsters. The MG is a new model, which is - much like the others, making me lust for it. It's a great car, I think Mid-Engine.<br>-I saw my first Jaguar S-Type.<br>-I've seen a couple MB A-Classes.<br>-Most models a very boldly styled. I feel however, that every car needs a trunk to balance out the proportions a bit. EVery car would be far more atractive were it a sedan.<br>-The A3 is very cool in person. It looks a lot like the VW Golf in terms of proportion, but it has these many subtle, cues and general lines which make it look more sporty and muscular. It looks like a rocket, and the people who drive them certainly make it seems like that. Most are 1.8T's, and I believe 150 hp models. I haven't been able to spot the red-lines within the 1.8T badge which signify the engine to produce 180 hp. BTW, has anyone with a chipped 1.8T though about ordering and installing a set of red-line 180 hp 1.8T badges. It would'nt be posuer if your car produced 180 hp or more.<br>-Manual transmisisons are norm here - automatics are the exception. I just love this. Everyting is manual - even taxi's and renter-cars. Interestingly, you can rent an E36 BMW 3-Series here. Most people are good shifters - if horrible and extremely aggressive drivers. Taxi drivers are by far the best. Their shifts, even with a 3-cylinder 1.1 liter diesels (I asked the driver of one) are smooth, precise, and <U>very</I> quick.<br>-The drivers are very agressive. Accleration from stoplights is usually a "pedal-to-the-metal" outing for those in the front. Tire marks are common and speeding is rampant. In small streets, people drive quickly (up to 35 kmph) in roads where people often walk - this is a dangerous city for pedestrians.<br>-One car, the Rover 416 si, looks incrdibly like the Honda Civic.<br>-There are many modiied VW Golf's.<br>-Aftermarket wheels changes are very common - as is lowering.<br>-THere are many Audi 90's. Not only are they a common taxi (sorry, but still no A4 taxis' - darn - I think the interior is too small), but many private drivers own them.<br>-There are a lot of cars here which encourage <B>R</B>est <B>I</B>ce <B>C</B>ompression and <B>Elevation</B>. Yes, we have them too. Most are Honda Civic Hatchbaks.<br>-Many motorbikes here.<br>-High performance tires are common here, mainly becase their only downside it tread wear (Rain is rare). THey are more common on motorbikes than cars though. Indeed, on motorbikes they are the norm.<br>-All the exhausts sound great. It sounds as if everything is a cat-back exhaust. Real cool - especially on motorbikes. On motorbikes, however, they only sound good if the engine is of a sufficent size. Small engines, sound a bit ratty and annoying while larger engines have a great beffy tone.<br>-Refiment is totally lacking in engines.<br>-I've seen two IS200's, one under a tarp and the other for a split second. As a result, I haven't really formed an opinion yet.<br>-I saw some sort of mid-engine sportscar. It look very Ferrarrish, but I didn't see that horsie (hehehe) so I can't be sure.<br>-All cars ride firmly, though some more that others. A Toyota Corona taxi, for example rides significantly softer - if still firm, than the Mercedes C-Class (which is very common - especially as a taxi).<br>-There has been an infusion of Japanease cars recently. A year ago, there were no Honda's and only a few Toyota's were used as Taxi's. In a year, I suspect Japanease companies have capures 30% or 40% of the market - no kidding.<p><B>I've been without my A4 for just 4 days and, in conclusion:</B><p><FONT SIZE=+2><br>I Wan't My Baby Back<br>Baby Back <br>Baby Back <p>I Wan't My Baby Back <br>Baby Back <br>Baby Back<p>oh Audi's quattro A4<br></FONT><br> <br><I>Sung to the Tune of the Chili's 'Baby Back Ribs' Song</I><p>KLHI<br>klhi@ibm.net<br>Melange/Onyx Cloth (no mods)
Old 07-14-1999, 04:47 AM
KLHI

Default sorry about the formaating errors - my bad

nt<p>KLHI<br>klhi@ibm.net<br>99.0 2.8QM Melange/Onyx Cloth (no mods)<br>
Old 07-14-1999, 05:11 AM
Mark P

I love the word &quot;peruze&quot;, especially when spelled correctly (PERUSE). Not to nit-pick, just defending the word.
Old 07-14-1999, 05:30 AM
JonathanD

Default this has got to be some kind of record for the longest post...good info though

k
Old 07-14-1999, 06:08 AM
T2

Saw a 323Ci (coupe) at local dealer... it's a nice looking car.
Old 07-14-1999, 09:10 AM
Tom

Default A couple of things to add...

The new Honda mini-ute that looks like the CR-V with only 2-door is called the HR-V in both Europe and Asian. I remembered one of the UK mag says Honda is so surprise that this mini-ute can sold that good there.<br>Did the Mercedes A-Class flip over when you saw them? It will definitely will flip over if they are the first shipment of middle of 97.<br>The Rover 416 indeed is a Honda Civic-based Rover. All the interior starks and power window controls are all directly from Honda Civic. Its not a true Rover, but its a "Honda" Rover.<br>What's the engine displacements most people driver? Or are all of them diesel?<br>Tom<br>97 A4 1.8TQMS<br>99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0
Old 07-14-1999, 09:18 AM
PhilH

One of the best things about travelling outside the US is watching traffic Thanks for the report
Old 07-14-1999, 09:21 AM
DrBimmer

The rover looked like a honda because it is- Honda makes alot of cars for Rover
Old 07-14-1999, 10:09 AM
kjk

Default Re: the latest automotive news from europe (more, long)

When I was in Switzerland last summer, I sat in a cafe in Interlaken and just watched a parade of sweet German cars cruising by. In fact, a Porsche club out for a drive came by and I swear one of the turbos sounded like many racing Porsches I have seen on the track--seriously raspy. In Italy I saw some beautiful big Alfa sedans that I would think could sell quite well in the U.S. Oh well, I would assume they all wish they could buy an Expedition--just kidding.<p>KJK 91 M5
Old 07-14-1999, 01:20 PM
Grant

Default A UK view

Interesting to see a US view of what we get to drive over here.<p>A few observations on your observations....<p>(I'll use the same numbering convention)<p>2. The 323Ci and 328Ci were launched last month (a 318Ci will follow later). Top Gear Magazine did a Coupe group test this month: 328Ci v Peugeot 406 3.0 V6 v Mercedes CLK230 Kompressor v Volvo C70 2.5T. Result was in that order first to last.<p>3. The Catera is a Vauxhall Omega in the UK and an Opel Omega on the Continent. The 5.7 V8 is only available here if you buy the recently introduced Australian version as a non-official import. You're right that the most powerful normal engine is a 200hp 3 litre V6.<p>4. The S3 is already out - my local dealer had a test drive weekend two weeks ago. The choice was from S3, A4 1.8T Quattro Sport, S4 Avant, TT 180 Quattro, A6 4.2 Quattro, A8 3.7 Quattro. I took the TT out...<p>The entire 1999 UK allocation of TT's were sold last year. An order today for a 180 will result in Feb '00 delivery - a 225 will be Jul '00. Prices are $43k and $48. Discounts from MSRP are not available :-)<p>5. The HR-V is ugly - big time. It also had the worst TV ads I've seen for a long time - if you've got to call your new model a 'Joy Machine', you're in trouble...<p>6. The Subaru Imprezza Turbo is flying out of dealers at the moment. For $32k, 4WD and 200hp, there is nothing else to touch it (remember an A4 1.8T FWD is $40k here). The lead time from UK dealers is about 7 months at the moment.<p>There are also some 'interesting' rally-type cars to be had at the moment. Mitsubishi have just started officially importing the EVO VI - 280hp and 4.4 for 0-60 in standard trim and only $48k. <p>The Subaru is one of the most popular models here for a recent phenomenon - personal imports. Due to the strength of Sterling, you can import a 'standard' Imprezza from Japan for around $25k and make it street legal for another $1k. Or order a RHD car from a Belgian or Dutch dealer, wait a few months, hop on a ferry to pick it up, pay UK Sales Tax on your return, register it and still save thousands.<p>9. A new Mondeo (Contour) has just been released over here – the ST200 with yep, 200hp. Before this, the top model had 167hp which is what the American SVT has I think. Wonder if you’ll get the new engine?<p>10. The Accord Type-R is actually 209hp from 2157cc. 142mph, 7.5 0-60 and $38k. Another interesting competitor for the A4.<p>12. Alfa 156 2.4 JTD : 136hp, 224lb ft @ 2000rpm, 126mph, 9.4 0-60, $33k. Petrol 156’s are also available with a Selespeed gearbox – no clutch and paddles on the steering wheel a’la F1.<p>13. Boxster S released in October – six month waiting list already. 3.2 litre flat six, 252hp, 0-60 5.8, 162mph, 6 speed manual or 5 speed Tiptronic, $64k.<p>15/16. The Rover 75 replaces two previous models that were in the A4 & A6 market. Prices range from $28k to $45k. Looks (to me) very much like the Jaguar S-Type. Very retro looking inside and out – lots of chrome. Check out http://www.rover75.co.uk<p><br>The Lexus IS200 has just been released here. I’ve seen a few on the road. They are very ‘vertical’ at the front and rear - as if they’ve been squashed. The light surrounds at the front & rear are also very strange, especially on a dark car. Aggressive pricing ($32k to $37k) should see quite a few sales taken from the A4 and 3 series.<br>

Quick Reply: the latest automotive news from europe (more, long)