A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Leaking Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is possible
It is also possible that I did not take notice of what kind of metal was previously used, and replaced it with what they gave me at auto zone. But I am leaning towards the possibility that i recognized copper and replaced it with copper. Dont remember.

However, i installed it with a different bend, It seems sturdy enough to me that it wont rupture in the position it is. I hope you are wrong on this one. Plus wont I have to bleed the system again if i open it?
I pray I dont have to.

I wont get a chance to play with the steering till tomorrow, but heres something I just learned, and i hope its not an issue, at least not a big one. Apparently we use a green mineral fluid for steering, i have been topping ( there is actually only clear fluid in the rez) off with clear fluid over the last week or so as it leaks out. Problem?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by old96A4
I had to double clamp my hoses on the plastic resovior. look and see if you have any bubbles in the resovior or does your car whine. If you do it could be because of the leaking or the seals are gone on the steering rack. Also check the end boots that cover the tie rods. if they have fluid in them your rack is shot. I had to replace mine after 80K miles. Found one for a Passat at the junk yard. Not to bad to replace. Most of the problems effect the same year models
Had the same issue with my ps hose to the reservoir. I took the old crimp clamp off and put a worm drive clamp
Old 07-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

could you see it leaking there?
i wish this is the fix but the oil is connecting under the other hose I described.

if this was not bad enough, i am loosing motor oil, and just now some smoke came out the tail pipe.
Should i just try and get some cash for it and get something else?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Monroe
could you see it leaking there?
i wish this is the fix but the oil is connecting under the other hose I described.

if this was not bad enough, i am loosing motor oil, and just now some smoke came out the tail pipe.
Should i just try and get some cash for it and get something else?
Maybe so. If there is too much wrong with it, you might be better off getting something in better condition.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I cant get the hose job done, i contacted a mechanic says hell do it for $100 the hose and oil i ordered, and the brakes he says hell bleed for an additional $100.
is this fair pricing?

I think if i order a pressure bleeder and do it myself it will be cheaper and i have a pressure bleeder.......thoughts or suggestions on any of this?
Old 11-08-2018, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Update for the future: If you're not an idiot, replacing a power steering rack on these cars is easy peasy. The job take about 5 hours, you have to jack up the car, undo the tie rods, undo the power steering rack, the banjo bolts and drop the subframe. take the old stuff off the old rack and put it on the new rack along with a new powerflex steering bushing (it's $20 and well worth the upgrade), then unbolt the banjo hoses, bolt the banjo bolts back on, rehook the hoses, attack the rack, rebolt the subframe and put everything back together. I bought a new rack off ebay for my TT and it was $187 shipped. Mechanic wanted $750 for for the repair. All in all I saved $500 and it cost me only a saturday. Do the work yourself.