A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

a little help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-1999, 11:25 AM
Jeff

Default a little help?

I currently have a bmw 325is, it has 112k miles on it. And now I'm looking for a new car, and I really like the A4 . It has great styling and enough room for 4 people on a long trip. I test drove one a few months ago, it was a 1.8t quattro with the tiptronic trans. The power was more that adequate, with a nice flat torque curve, but what the hell is up with the steering?!?! it felt like my grandfather’s 71 Caddy. Is there any way to thghten it up?

thanks
Old 11-19-1999, 11:36 AM
RickM

Default You obviously didn't test drive one with the sports package.(more)

But even if you drove a standard suspension setup, I'll venture to say that your characterization of it feeling like your "grandfather's 71 Caddy" is waaaaay off. Yes, there is a certain remoteness to the standard Audi road feel. But there's a huge difference between isolation (which is what you experienced) and sloppiness (which you did not experience). If you drove the car, you must have noticed that although the steering was relatively light, it was still precise. Having said that, if more road feel and tighter ride is what you want, test drive a 1.8 with the sports package. It makes a big difference, and it's a bargain.

Rick
Old 11-19-1999, 11:56 AM
RPF

Default Re: a little help?

Did you test drive more than one example, whether with or without the sports package? Is it possible the tire pressures were off? The steering on my A4 feels just fine - direct, linear, with good feel.

Bill Houston
99.5 2.8 Avant QMS
Old 11-19-1999, 11:56 AM
GregB

Default I know what you mean...

I had a 96 A42.8QM without sport package and the steering was very quick and precise. I traded for 99.5 2.8QMS and while the overall handling is much better, I noticed a definite lack of quickness in the steering. Wish I knew how to tighten it!
Old 11-19-1999, 12:01 PM
Ted K

Default I agree, steering feel is not the A4's forte...

I have a feeling this results from the multilink front suspension geometry. While
reducing torque steer to near nil, Audi has lost the "tug" you get in your hand when you
progressively increase cornering forces in a turn. I think this is due to caster, but I'm not
100% sure. I find it a little unnerving to have to resort to tire squeal and seat g-forces to
communicate the adhesion limits of the car. A nice steering feel will communicate a
gradual tug as g's increase, and then lessening of that tug when you are beginning to
lose traction at the front end.

The handling of the car, though, is quite excellent, especially for a front-driver.
(non-quattro owner). Steering precision is not affected by this, IMO, just feel.

Ted
Old 11-19-1999, 12:33 PM
Drew S.

Default I blame the stock tires regardless of sports package

If you drove the base 1.8T, then it had 195 tires (on 15" wheels). Even the sports package only brings the tire width up to 205 (16"), which is what my 98 2.8 came with.

This summer I bought some 225/50-16 tires and they made all the difference. They were also Z rated so that helped a lot too. Now I am back on 205/55-16's for the winter and I definitely feel the difference.

Don't blame the A4 for the weak steering feel. Blame the tires. This is easily corrected with the tire of your choice.
Old 11-19-1999, 12:47 PM
Frank B

Default Re: a little help?

I have a 99.5 2.8 Q,S and love the steering. It probably is not quite as precise as the BMW's, but it has a great feel as you turn into a corner which I would not trade for the BMW's. The steering is one of the many reasons I chose the Audi. I don't drive it at the limits of adhesion as there are virtually no places where you can do that on regular roads with enough line of sight to stop if someone or something is in the road around the corner. So I can't comment on the feel at the limits.

Frank B
Old 11-19-1999, 01:50 PM
Ray Calvo

Default I would agree with this

My 98.5 Avant with sport pkg. nicely steering car - fast response, reasonable feedback. Not like my 993, but better than my old Coupe Quattro.

Drove my cousin's mid '90's 325i sedan a few months ago. Steering felt deader/slower than the A4.
Old 11-19-1999, 02:18 PM
BDW

Default I hope the people going in the backseat on long trip are ...

SMALL. Like kids or vertically challenged adults. I love my A4, but honestly, the backseat is a joke (I bought mine knowing and accepting this, and the new 3-Series rear accomodations are only marginally better).

I would not subject normal sized adults to long sentences in the back of an A4. Two kids, no problems until they hit puberty.

Just my .02.

BDW
Old 11-19-1999, 02:21 PM
Adam S

Default Base (non-sport) is actually 205/60-15. But yes, Eagle LS have poor steering feel....

and mediocre grip. They are very quiet though, and are really just "boulevard cruising tires". Now that I've chipped, I really see the limitations of the stock rubber.

99.5 Avant 1.8tq-tip Silver/Onyx Autothority

Quick Reply: a little help?