A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Low Resale Value

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-1998, 08:28 AM
Giri

Default Low Resale Value

I have currently ordered a 2.8 quattro sedan and am waiting for the car. I was studying the<br>resale value of the car... it seems to drop significantly ( comparing with Japanese cars).<br>With so much advancement in the technology in this car, I dont understand why it does not<br>hold on to its value. Any comments?<br>Also why are there so many guys wanting to sell their A4s?? Are these unhappy customers?<br>Please look at my question objectively.<br>Thanks<br>giri<br>
Old 10-27-1998, 09:11 AM
hans

My thoughts exactly!
Old 10-27-1998, 10:20 AM
J.Russ

Default Well...

I personally have not seen that many A4s for sale on the used market, though I can say that their depreciation is higher than other makes and models, including bimmers and benzes.<p>A lot of this has to do with the perception, and lack thereof, of Audi in the US market. Most folks just don't know enough about Audi in general and the A4 in particular. All they know is that its not a mainstream marque, again like bimmers and benzes. I think reliability and snob appeal are what drives a lot of the used market. The A4, though reliable, just hasn't wedged itself in US consumer consciousness, yet. Give it a few years.<p>Anyway, who are you buying this car for? You, or its next owner?
Old 10-27-1998, 10:22 AM
richardb

Default depends on who you talk to, where you are

I was helping my sister-in-law shop for a used foreign luxury car this weekend. (She's into the Lexus/Infiniti thing.) Anyway, when the owner of the used car place saw what I was driving (96 2.8 QM), he told me A4's were the hottest car in the auction market. Said he could hardly get them, and that even if he could, he'd have to pay $21K (wholesale) for a 96, which means he'd want to get $24K. He said resale values for Audi, and demand, are both up, and given that I paid only $28K almost 3 years ago, I'd have to agree.<p>Demand seems to vary regionally though. Hottest on both coasts, I think.
Old 10-27-1998, 11:19 AM
Nick g

Default Re: Low Resale Value

i had a 1996 a-4 q loaded. my local dealer called me and asked me to come in . he was interrested in my auto. the largest audi dealer in south florida. he had no ore owned audi a-4. he cut me a great deal on a new a4 and the sedan we traded was gone by the next day. after 2 and a half years of a4 ownership that car traded for $2000. less than i bought it for....real dollars not trade in dollars. i must say i cant understand how values are so different. my 2 cents says so far so good on the a4...by the way we love our avant ...<br>
Old 10-27-1998, 11:20 AM
Nick g

i had a 1996 a-4 q loaded. my local dealer called me and asked me to come in . he was interrested in my auto. the largest audi dealer in south florida. he had no ore owned audi a-4. he cut me a great deal on a new a4 and the sedan we traded was gone by the next day. after 2 and a half years of a4 ownership that car traded for $2000. less than i bought it for....real dollars not trade in dollars. i must say i cant understand how values are so different. my 2 cents says so far so good on the a4...by the way we love our avant ...<br>
Old 10-27-1998, 11:20 AM
Nick g