A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Manual Transmission Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Transmission Questions

Hi everyone. I am new to Audi's. I recently bought a 99.5 2.8 Manual. It currently has 30,000 miles on it. I have some questions regarding the transmission. Maybe we could compare a few things?

#1: Should each gear kinda feel kinda notchy? It seems that each gear has two clicks before it actually goes all the way into the gear position. I don't think that anything is really wrong with the transmission just wondering if this is just the way they are or maybe there is something wrong with the tranny? But that would seem wierd since it does this at every gear.

#2: Second gear seems difficult to get into comfortably when the temperature is low or after the car sits awhile. After awhile it gets much better.

#3: When downshifting into second gear at around 30 mph or so (like turning a corner), if I let the clutch out to high in RPM it seems really clunky in the drivetrain. But if I do the downshift at a much lower speed it seems pretty smooth. But it doesn't seem like I should have to be at such a low speed to downshift into 2nd gear.

Well thatnks for any input you guys can give me on these things. Maybe I'm just being paranoid?
Old 09-24-2002, 07:47 PM

Default my car a 1998 2.8 stick dose the same thing -more inside

If you let the clutch out quick it kinda clicks twice and the whole car jerks forward and back but if you ease into the gears its alot smother.

downshifting on the 2.8 dosent feel realy well- when i down shift from a high rpm to 2 gear i let the idle and gear match befor i let the clutch out
Old 09-24-2002, 07:48 PM

Default 1: most Audi trannys I've driven are notchy

if you are having a lot of trouble engaging a gear, something is wrong.

#2: almost every VAG car I've driven has the cold weather/cold start second gear problem. Some people never have it, and others are plagued with it.

#3: don't know what the problem is exactly but a DTS or snub mount will definitley help that problem.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some answers...

1. Sounds normal... there are two points of resistance on my linkage, one as the selector enters a particular gate and another when the selector reaches the end of the gate. What you're describing is due to the shift linkage more than the transmission itself (remember all forward gears are engaged all the time so the notchiness isn't due to the gears themselves).

2. Every manual I've ever driven does this. I had actually forgotten about it until you mentioned it (I now live in SC and cold mornings are rare). I find that shifting into the neutral position before going for second eliminates the occasional grind you get out of second when its cold. IE instead of going straight to 2nd from 1st move diagonally to neutral and then 2nd.

3. Blip the throttle and match the engine speed to the speed of the rest of the drivetrain to eliminate the lash effect you describe. Use the throttle to speed the engine up to the speed you'd expect in the lower gear. Matching engine and drive train speed will get rid of the rough shift and increase the life of your friction surfaces.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Manual Transmission Questions

Thanks alot guys. Really appreciate your help. I will quit worrying so much and enjoy my new ride!