AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   Miles to Next Service Indicator is off. Possible that my odometer was tampered with?? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/miles-next-service-indicator-off-possible-my-odometer-tampered-62178/)

ChrisTK 01-29-2001 07:55 AM

Miles to Next Service Indicator is off. Possible that my odometer was tampered with??

New A4 show miles to service about 800 miles sooner than it reaches 10,000. Is it possible that my new car was driven and odometer reset by dealer ?

Ed at Work 01-29-2001 08:50 AM

No. The Odo is fairly tamperproof. A new one allows for a one time reset...

and from what JamesR posted a little while ago, also has a code flag to indicate that the odo was maually set. Additionally, the service indicator is only a countdown from the time it was reset; in other words, if you had the service completed at 4200, then it's gonna say the next service is due at 9200.

Ed at Work 01-29-2001 08:50 AM

No. The Odo is fairly tamperproof. A new one allows for a one time reset...

and from what JamesR posted a little while ago, also has a code flag to indicate that the odo was maually set. Additionally, the service indicator is only a countdown from the time it was reset; in other words, if you had the service completed at 4200, then it's gonna say the next service is due at 9200.

dimitristx 01-29-2001 08:51 AM

Since you asked, can the odometer be disconnected? Is there "protection" against doing so?

dingster 01-29-2001 09:19 AM

I had a problem with my Passat.

Basically coolant got onto the speedo connector on the tranny and both the speedo and odometer was running irradically. At times both doesn't register. I had to clean the rust off the connector and there was a DTC registered(Soemthing like "speed sensor intermittent") I was able to clear the DTC but I don't know if there are other hidden blocks that records these kind of things.

So in a word, I guess you can disconnect the connector, but I don't know if a permanent flag will be stored in the ECU or some other storage device.

Stang Guy 01-29-2001 02:10 PM

Owners manual says this is normal (more)

It states that service reminder will come on approx 10 days or 600 miles prior to service being due. You've got nothing to worry about.

Stang Guy 01-29-2001 02:23 PM

You can disconnect it......

but the airbag light will come on when you plug it back in, and a trouble code is stored in the ECU. This code can be cleared by the dealer and odo can be plugged back in.

In case you are wondering, I had a problem with the cluster and had to drive to the delaer with the odo unplugged - I'm not monkeying with my odo.

Bob Petruska 01-29-2001 03:55 PM

The dealer sets the intervals......

They can dial in anything they want to force you to come in early. Plus all mileage intervals are entered in kilometers not miles. So some dealers mess up on this conversion!