A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

More about installing CD changer (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-1998, 09:34 AM
Andrei D

Default More about installing CD changer (long)

I read the FAQ, this post is about giving a little more info on installing the Panasonic 6 disk changer on a 98.5 sedan.<p>First of all, in case you're holding your breath, I succeeded in installing the CD changer from Clair. It did have all the screws and bits, so no problem there. Here is what I discovered while installing it.<p>First, for those of you out there with skilled fingers, you may not need to remove the side lining in the trunk. There is a big cross-shaped cut in the bottom tool "pit", about 1 third from the back of the car. You can access the DIN cable by poking in that cut either with your fingers or with a screwdriver (careful not to stab anything to death . If you succeed, then there's no need to remove the black plastic sheet (otherwise, in order to get the lining out, you'd have to do that).<p>Most important: you may run into a problem while trying to screw in the long metal bracket to the black plate on the trunk floor. Normally, the black plate should have 2 nuts welded in the right places (front and back) - but mine DIDN'T. So, if this is happening to you, just go to your hardware store and get a pair of 1/4 x 1 screws with matching nuts (I got nylon-capped nuts) and of course a matching wrench. You can hold the nuts at the bottom with the wrench while you screw in from the top.<p>Fortunately the fix is simple, but I just wanted everybody to know that such a possibility exists. There is an easy way to discover whether you'll have this problem or not - just lift the bottom trunk liner in the left corner of the car and "feel" the black plate with your fingers (you're looking for 2 welded nuts under the plate, at the very front and back).<p>Just wanted to give back a little to this forum - it's not earth-shattering advice, but it's all I have so far.<p>Andrei D<br>1.8T QMS red