A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A MUST READ! More info on S4, A6 2.7T, and A6 4.2....

Old 06-24-1999, 03:21 PM
Corey S

Default A MUST READ! More info on S4, A6 2.7T, and A6 4.2....

<font color="#FF0000">Again, this info was obtained from an Audi dealer, published by AoA on 5/28/99.</font><p><br><font size=+2><u><b>Audi S4</b></u></font><p><b>Powertrain:</b><br>2.7L V6 bi-turbo engine with Double Overhead Camshafts (DOHC), 5-valves per cylinder, variable intake valve timing, variable geometry intake manifold, twin KKK K03 turbochargers, twin charge air intercoolers and electronic turbo boost regulation.<p><b>Fuel Injection / Ignition:</b><br>ME 7.5 Motronic engine control with electronic multipoint sequential fuel injection, hot film air mass sensor, solid state direct ignition with multiple coils, dual knock sensors with cylinder selective knock control, electronic throttle operation and fully adaptive controls.<p><ul><br><li>2.7 liter bi-turbo 250hp V6 engine<br><li>A choice between a 6-speed manual transmission or a 5-speed automatic with Tiptronic (delayed availability)<br><li>quattro all-wheel drive: Torsen center differential, EDL front and rear<br><li>Unique bumpers, front grill, body trim and identification<br><li>Xenon high-intensity discharge headlights (low beams) with automatic self-leveling<br><li>17" cast alloy wheels in the "Avus" design<br><li>225/45R17 high performance tires<br><li>Full-size spare tire and alloy wheel<br><li>Sport suspension, lowered 20mm<br><li>High performance brake system including ventilated rotors at all four wheels and powerful HP2 4-piston calipers at the front<br><li>Power-operated sport seats for the driver and front passenger<br><li>Silk Nappa leather upholstery<br><li>Sport steering wheel with the S4 logo<br><li>All-new Symphony radio with a larger, easy to operate faceplate and controls, plus integrated single CD and cassette players<br><li><b>Front Suspension:</b> Sport tuned independent four-link with virtual steering axis and tubular anti-roll bar, twin-tube gas-filled shock absorbers, coil springs, spring rebound stops, guide arms with hydraulically damped bearings<br><li><b>Rear Suspension:</b> Sport-tuned double wishbone fully independent suspension with anti-roll bar, twin-tube gas-filled shock absorbers, separately mounted coil springs.<br><li><b>Brake System:</b> Four-wheel disc brakes, diagonally split dual circuits, ventilated rotors front and rear, four-piston high-performance HP2 calipers at the front, plus ABS and electronic rear brake pressure proportioning.<br></ul><p>0-50mph: 4.6 (manual) / 4.8 (Tip)<br>0-60mph: 5.9 (manual) / 6.5 (Tip)<br>1/4 mile: 14.4 (manual) / 14.8 (Tip)<br>Top speed: Limited to 143mph in North America<br>Weight: 3594lb (manual) / 3704lb (Tip)<p><br><font size=+2><u><b>Audi A6 2.7T</b></u></font><p>To compete with the BMW 528I or Mercedes-Benz 320.<p><b>Powertrain:</b><br>2.7L V6 bi-turbo engine with Double Overhead Camshafts (DOHC), 5-valves per cylinder, variable intake valve timing, variable geometry intake manifold, twin KKK K03 turbochargers, twin charge air intercoolers and electronic turbo boost regulation.<p><b>Fuel Injection / Ignition:</b><br>ME 7.5 Motronic engine control with electronic multipoint sequential fuel injection, hot film air mass sensor, solid state direct ignition with multiple coils, dual knock sensors with cylinder selective knock control, electronic throttle operation and fully adaptive controls.<p><ul><br><li>2.7 liter bi-turbo 250hp V6 engine<br><li>A choice between a 6-speed manual transmission or a 5-speed automatic with Tiptronic (delayed availability)<br><li>quattro all-wheel drive: Torsen center differential, EDL front and rear<br><li>Unique suspension tuning: firmer spring and shock absorber settings<br><li>7J x 16 cast alloy wheels with 5-spoke design<br><li>215/55R16 all-season tires (Continental CH95)<br><li>Full-size spare tire and alloy wheel<br><li>Inflatable "SIDEGUARD" curtain air bag supplemental restraints<br><li>Unique "2.7T" nomenclature<br><li>All-new Symphony radio with a larger, easy to operate faceplate and controls, plus integrated single CD and cassette players<br><li><b>Front Suspension:</b> Independent four-link with virtual steering axis and tubular anti-roll bar, twin-tube gas-filled shock absorbers, coil springs, spring rebound stops, guide arms with hydraulically damped bearings<br><li><b>Rear Suspension:</b> Double wishbone fully independent suspension with anti-roll bar, twin-tube gas-filled shock absorbers, separately mounted coil springs.<br><li><b>Brake System:</b> Four-wheel disc brakes, diagonally split dual circuits, ventilated rotors at the front, solid at the rear, plus ABS and electronic rear brake pressure proportioning.<br></ul><p>0-50mph: 4.6 (manual) / 4.8 (Tip)<br>0-60mph: 5.9 (manual) / 6.5 (Tip)<br>1/4 mile: 14.4 (manual) / 14.8 (Tip)<br>Top speed: Limited to 143mph in North America<br>Weight: 3594lb (manual) / 3704lb (Tip)<p><br><font size=+2><u><b>Audi A6 4.2</b></u></font><p>To compete with the BMW 540i (282hp) or the Mercedes-Benz E430 (275hp).<p><b>Powertrain:</b><br>4.2L 300hp V8 engine with Double Overhead Camshafts (DOHC) and 5-valves per cylinder, variable intake valve timing, magnesium 3-stage variable geometry intake manifold, roller camshaft followers, 5-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic.<p><b>Fuel Injection / Ignition:</b><br>ME 7.0 Motronic engine control with electronic multipoint sequential fuel injection, hot film air mass sensor, solid state direct ignition with multiple coils, dual knock sensors with cylinder selective knock control, electronic throttle operation and fully adaptive controls.<p><ul><br><li>4.2 liter 300hp V8 engine featuring 5-valve technology<br><li>5-speed automatic with Tiptronic<br><li>quattro all-wheel drive: Torsen center differential, EDL front and rear<br><li>Revised front end appearance and front structure adding 40mm in overall length<br><li>New front fenders and hood, both in aluminum<br><li>Door sill panel extansions<br><li>Flared wheel openings<br><li>8J x 16 cast alloy wheels, 6-spoke design<br><li>235/50R16 all-season tires, Dunlop SP5000<br><li>Full-size spare tire and alloy wheel<br><li>High performance brake system including ventilated rotors at all four wheels and powerful HP2 4-piston calipers at the front<br><li>Glass tilt/slide sunroof with sunshade<br><li>Standard leather upholstery including leather door panel trim<br><li>3-position memory settings for the driver's seat, steering wheel and outside rearview mirrors<br><li>Power adjustable tilt and telescope steering wheel with automatic tilt-away for easy entry and exit<br><li>Multi-function steering wheel with audio controls<br><li>All-new Symphony radio with a larger, easy to operate faceplate and controls, plus integrated single CD and cassette players<br><li>Bose sound system, 200 watts, subwoofer<br><li>HomeLink garage door opener and remote control installed in the driver's sunvisor<br><li>Autodimming outside and inside rearview mirrors<br><li>"2 plus 1" contoured rear seat<br><li>Inflatable "SIDEGUARD" curtain air bag supplemental restraints<br><li>Front and rear seat side impact air bag supplemental restraints<br><li>Larger fuel tank, 21.7 gallons versus 18.5<br><li>Unique "4.2" nomenclature<br><li><b>Front Suspension:</b> Independent four-link with virtual steering axis and tubular anti-roll bar, twin-tube gas-filled shock absorbers, coil springs, spring rebound stops, guide arms with hydraulically damped bearings<br><li><b>Rear Suspension:</b> Double wishbone fully independent suspension with anti-roll bar, twin-tube gas-filled shock absorbers, separately mounted coil springs.<br><li><b>Brake System:</b> Four-wheel disc brakes, diagonally split dual circuits, ventilated rotors front and rear, four-piston high-performance HP2 calipers at the front, plus ABS and electronic rear brake pressure proportioning.<br></ul><p>0-60mph: 6.7<br>1/4 mile: 15.0<br>Top speed: Limited to 130mph in North America<br>Weight: 4024lb<p><p>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>I know it's nice getting info directly from AoA about the new Audi lineup. Even though it's not<br>complete (no pricing or dates!!!), but it's better than nothin'.<p>Corey S<br>Wett 97 1.8tqm (with an S4 on order)
Old 06-24-1999, 03:28 PM
Corey S

Default Oops, put the S4 performance data under the A6 2.7T section. Here's what it should be....

<u><b>A6 2.7T:</b></u><p>0-50mph: 4.7 (manual) / 4.9 (Tip)<br>Don't know why there isn't 0-60 data.<br>1/4 mile: 14.7 (manual) / 15.1 (Tip)<br>Top speed: Limited to 130mph in North America<br>Weight: 3759lb (manual) / 3836lb (Tip)<p><br>------------------------------------------------------<br>Corey S<br>Wett 97 1.8tqm
Old 06-24-1999, 03:51 PM
Canadian Audi information expert

Default Where's the A6 Sports Package?????

The AoA sheet didn't mentioned the optional Sports Package on the 2000 A6 sedans. My dealer told me the A6 Sports package includes the following:<br>3-spoke Audisport steering wheel (with Tiptronic buttons if you are Tiptronic)<br>2 inches lower than the standard package<br>Firmer suspension and spring rates setting<br>Leather sports seats<br>5-spoke Sports alloy wheels on 2.8 version (no news on 2.7T and V8 on which wheels standard on Sports)<br>Here's the "confusing" competitors my local dealer told me:<br>Audi A6 2.8 Quattro Tip vs BMW 528 non-sport vs M-B E320 4--Matic<br>Audi A6 2.8 Quattro Tip Sports vs BMW 528 Sports<br>Audi A6 2.8 Quattro Sports Stick vs BMW 528 Sports stick<br>Audi A6 2.7T Quattro Sports stick vs BMW 540 sports stick<br>Audi A6 2.7T Quattro vs BMW 528 non-sport (conflict with 2.8 regular)<br>Audi A6 2.7T Quattro Tiptronic Sport vs BMW 528 Sport <br>Audi A8 4.2 V8 Quattro vs BMW 540 non-sport vs M-B E430 non-sport<br>Audi A8 4.2 V8 Quattro sport vs BMW 540 sport vs M-B E430 sport<br>Question is: where's the Front Trek 2.8 A6 goes?<br>Tom<br>97 A4 1.8TQMS<br>99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0<ul><li><a href="http://vancouver.a4.org">A4 CLUB VANCOUVER</a></li></ul>
Old 06-24-1999, 04:38 PM
donp

S4 and A6 2.7T have the same curb weight!?!? Can't be... can it?
Old 06-24-1999, 04:44 PM
Audiboy

Uugh yes, it's a new feature just kiding. Look at Corey's correction below!
Old 06-24-1999, 05:26 PM
Steve S.

Default Hey Corey...check out page #3

Did you see that the S4 gets 245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE040 tires? Now, how they gonna fit those under there...and what is the deal with the RE040 tires? Anybody heard of these?<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 06-24-1999, 05:28 PM
Steve S.

Default Don...I got the thing Corey has...and yes..that is what it says.

I think the BTCC is giving the Audi Quattros a weight penalty again.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 06-24-1999, 05:47 PM
britoki (Brian T)

Would smaller wheel width/offset allow those to fit?
Old 06-24-1999, 07:59 PM
Steve S.

I dunno...I just questioned a 245/45/17 on a 17X7.5 wheel myself (it might be a little bloated IMHO) -
Old 06-24-1999, 09:43 PM
Randy Welch

Default Re: A MUST READ! More info on S4, A6 2.7T, and A6 4.2....

Boy, I'd take the 2.7T A6 with a 6 speed thank you very much...<p>A large audi with a manual, got to love it. ( had a 5000 and drove a 100 CSQ with a V6 and manual.)<p>-randy<br>