A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My car is sold - now it's Stage3 A4 or Stage 2 S4 (Avants) - Your opinion/help requested...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2001, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My car is sold - now it's Stage3 A4 or Stage 2 S4 (Avants) - Your opinion/help requested...

I had planned on getting a new A4 Avant and putting a Stage 3 kit on it, along with a few other things. I noticed that I was getting close to the S4 Avant pricetag, so I checked the pricing of that as well. The results are below, but now I'm stuck deciding A vs S? Please offer some rational (or not so rational) thoughts...

A4 Avant:
Stage 3 (280HP)
Exhaust
S4 side skirts, S4 rear, Oettinger front, painted, installed
Custom paint

S4 Avant:
Chip/Exhaust (320HP)

The above items make these cars pretty similar. What started out as a ~$11,650 price difference between the A4 and S4, is down to ~$4100 (it costs ~$4100 more for the S4). Other things to add in still...

Other things that come into play, financially, are:
Insurance: $275/6mos more ($916 vs $1191)
Gas: about the same, considering I drive cruise control on the highway a lot (6th gear will help)
Luxury tax: 5% on amt of car over $38k - ~$129 in my case
Dealer mark-up is more on the S4, but I have already included that in the $11,650 # above

taking into account the luxury tax, along with some other items (adding brakes to both cars, FMIC to A4, suspension to both cars, labor for Stage 3, etc)...I did not include the insurance diff yet, as that is an ongoing thing, where as these others are the one-time cost issues.
And thus we are now at a cost of $2381 more for the S4.

Pro's and Con's:

(Pro S4): Smoother engine (in the 300HP range)
(Con A4): Higher reving 1.8T - not that bad of a thing, just different

(Pro S4): Less concern about warranty (Closer to stock)
(Con A4): with engine parts changed, warranty claims may be a hassle, depending on the affected parts.

(Pro S4): Resale value is higher (Closer to stock) - But I plan to keep this car a long time, so I'm not that concerned
(Con A4): There is a very select group that want to buy a highly mod'd car - But I plan to keep this car a long time, so I'm not that concerned

(Pro S4): Alcantera, power seats, alum roof rails & mirrors - are those pros?
(Con A4): it's damn good just the way it is - no con

(Pro S4): 6th gear highway cruising sure to help gas mileage
(Con A4): 3400rpms at 75mph is ok on gas, but does rev high

(Pro S4): More room from additional HP, should I desire it in the future (mmmmmm Stage 3 S4)
(Con A4): Not maxed out yet, but I don't see me going any further than Stage 3 in the A4.

(Pro A4): Less expensive
(Con S4): More expensive

(Pro A4): This would be one seriously unique car, and would kick *** at the few car shows I'd enter it in
(Con S4): Just a mildly mod'd car, but that's just because it comes nice already.

(Pro A4): Gas mileage, at least around town is better
(Con S4): around town is worse

(Pro A4): Weight - 350 lbs lighter - better in corners and on track (I might track it once/yr?)
(Con S4): Weight - 350 lbs heavier - not as good in corners

Other Pros/Cons you can come up with?

If and when I did chip the S4, I'd probably get a spare ECU for convenience sake. For a Stage 3 A4, I don't know if I would or not. If I don't on the A4, that widens the price gap by an additional $500. (now $2881)

Let me hear your thoughts. I'm going to order one or the other on Monday
Old 04-13-2001, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (con S4) Forum (pro A4) Forum.

Im not kidding either. Its so much fun on this side of the world. (Audi world).

Plus a Stage three A4 has great accel, and you dont have to worry about the engine failing on you. Stage 3's run great!
And you can use that 5,000 difference on recaro seats, ( like the euro rs4!!!)

That would be KICK ***.
Old 04-13-2001, 12:02 PM
Rest In Peace

Default As much as I hate to admit it - I think I'd take the S4 Avant.

If it were sedans, the race would be a little closer, but in Avant form, S4 hands down. More unique, better looking, and less risk associated with simple chip and exhaust than big mods.

That being said, I'm sure I'll love my widdow Stage Fwee Afowe when I get it done.
Old 04-13-2001, 12:03 PM

Default I have to say......

S4. You can have SOOO much more with an S4 and the overall performance lost is only 350lbs! The seats, the extra turbo, 17s stock, 6 speeds, Less strain on the engine because of less mods. Higher resale value, not as many on the road. And If I had the money for a $40,000 car, $400 a year extra for insurance isnt that much, and what maybe $2-300 more a year for gas, not very noticeable. S4 time I say!
Old 04-13-2001, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Gotta agree with you there. S4 forum is troll city! That spills over into the regulars...

snapping at each other. Why do you think I kept my 1.8T !? <g>

After a while you do get used to it...
Old 04-13-2001, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default All I can say is...wow...

It seems to me you have given this a lot of thought. It also seems that you've covered most of the topics that are important you. I guess the real question is can you justify spending that extra 3K? In the whole grand scheme of things, 3K is small potatoes to 38K or whatnot, but it's still 3K. Would you be content with a stage III A4? or a Stage II S4?

In my opinion, I would go with the modded A4. Simply because it fits my lifestyle. That, and I'm not too fond of the aluminum trims or the front end. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trun my back on a 320hp monster if given to me, but for these purposes I'll stick with the A4. Good luck. Hopefully you'll come and pop in on us every so often if you decide to go with the S4.
Old 04-13-2001, 12:07 PM

I think that I would agree.... if it were sedans... I think that I would go with the A4.
Old 04-13-2001, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

PES Supercharged 30 valve Avant. That's all I have to say.
Old 04-13-2001, 12:10 PM
Rest In Peace

BTW Mark - I'm sure you could find someone to trade normal mirrors for those tacky alu ones.
Old 04-13-2001, 12:11 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Definitely giving up reliability there though. IMHO

Audi reduced the displacement of the 2.8 to strenghthen it for forced induction - I think that means something.

Quick Reply: My car is sold - now it's Stage3 A4 or Stage 2 S4 (Avants) - Your opinion/help requested...