A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My Greedspeed K04 experience!

Old 12-10-1998, 10:38 AM
Terence

Default My Greedspeed K04 experience!

Well, FIRST a little background, I HAD a Wett chip (1 bar) installed in my car for about a month but after seeing that Greedspeed was selling the K04 for $1450 I decided it was a better value. I figured it would be nice to have the bigger turbo, especially when you compare the price of the Wett chip to the Greedspeed K04 Kit, it's only about $800 difference and for that $800 you get the K04 Software, K04 Turbo, new thermostat, fan switch, and spark plugs. Besides (don't flame me for this!) I didn't think the Wett chip was <br>Worth $650 let alone $480 better than a Neu/Greedspeed chip! <p>That said… here I go!<br>I had the turbo installed at the dealership I work at (VW) so I figured these guys would know how to install it, and besides I know and trust these people (not to mention a very low hourly rate being an employee and all ;o) very straightforward installation, but plan on an oil and coolant change! When the installation was complete, I drove down to Camarillo (about 6 hours away) with the K04 and the stock program to meet Anthony (Greedspeed). The turbo and stock program definitely work together, and the turbo feels well… damn near stock, it feels like it spools up a bit more eagerly and the throttle response seems a bit quicker than the K03. After the chip was installed, I went for a spin around the block (to make sure the ECU was Okay) and I must say it felt GREAT. Boy, amazing power and pull from this combo. Impressed is an understatement. With the Wett chip, power came on REALLY strong initially and then fizzled away, with the K04/Neu chip power comes very evenly, a nice linear pull to redline. For those of you with K03 1bar chips, you know what I'm talking about when I say that first gear is waaaaay too short, now with the K04, it seems like 1st AND 2nd gear are too short! The car just pulls and pulls, I must say that in my opinion linear (Neu) feels MUCH MUCH better than non-linear! I remember that part-throttle response with the Wett chip felt the SAME as stock… the only power surge was with the pedal to (or at least near) the floor. I asked about this and I was told that you only feel the significant power above 11-12 psi. With the K04, the car feels MUCH more gutsy even with the pedal at half throttle. On the way back to the Bay Area, with my girlfriend driving my car, an Acura Legend (V6) was between lanes and cutting everyone off trying to get ahead in traffic. Anyway, I told my girlfriend to just pass him, so she leans on the go-fast pedal… he obviously sees us accelerating and he floors it, we're dead even and pulling at the same rate, but something was wrong, we didn't PULL past him we were just accelerating… I asked her "Are you FLOORING it?" she said "No, but I'm already at 105, I didn't need to" (when she hit 110, I told her to back off and let this psycho pass, if he wanted to get ahead that badly let him)<p>The car feels great!!! The K04 is more vocal than the K03 and you know he means business. All I can say is, for $1450 it's DEFINITELY worth getting. I was content with the Wett chip, but I always had questions: for $650, is this worth it? Is my turbo going to be okay? All I have to say is I don't have those concerns any more, and there's no question that that there's MORE power than just a chip, and now, there's potential for more power than the chip alone! I was also told that with the K03 an exhaust is worth about 10 more hp, and with the K04 it's closer to 15, so now I'm waiting for the Neuspeed exhaust (supposedly it's the only exhaust with a flex-joint, like the stock one). <br>I hope this helps some of you out there, if there are any questions feel free to email me!<p>Terence<br>1.8TQMS Greedspeed K04!!!
Old 12-10-1998, 11:05 AM
Spieks

Default Re: My Greedspeed K04 experience!

Nice write up Terence. Do you think that the K04 will put more stress on your engine than the Wett chip did? It seems that the extra power comes on earlier (less throttle) because the turbo reaches higher pressure sooner and runs at higher pressure for longer periods. Any thoughts?
Old 12-10-1998, 12:26 PM
charlie

Thanks for the post. I'm interested in this kit. Were you advised to upgrade the turbo hoses (or anything else) with this setup?
Old 12-10-1998, 12:46 PM
Christian

Default Is this setup OK for the Tiptronic? Or does it not make any sense?

NT\
Old 12-10-1998, 02:02 PM
stevebrown

Tip is rated for around 230hp &amp; 230 ftlbs torque....you decide...
Old 12-10-1998, 02:38 PM
HermanH

Default Off the subject: IS Sunnyvale VW going to install Neuspeed chips or ...

did they decide to back off for warranty reasons? You talked about it back in August but haven't heard from you since.<p>Getting back to the K04, man, now you got me wondering, but I think for my usage, I'll settle for just a Neuspeed at 11psi.<p>HermanH<br>98.5 Passat 1.8tm
Old 12-10-1998, 06:36 PM
Scott K

<br>MTM is the exhaust...it has the flex, but it is quite large, 2 3/4 ". It may not match up with your program. It does need to be hooked up to a modified Cat.
Old 12-10-1998, 07:27 PM
Enzo

Default Turbo lag?

I was wondering,<br> Common sense tells me that a larger turbo will take longer to spool up due to lots of factors (larger mass of the impeller, more exhaust needed to fill the larger volume of the turbo yada yada...) but you mentioned that the K04 seems to feel about stock (with power starting at about 2000 RPM?) and ever "more eager to spool up" much to my surprize.<br> Please elaborate on this! My biggest hangup to getting a larger turbo (besides the fact it's my wife's car is that I don't want it to turn into a lagging, peaky, turbo car reminiscent of the 80's. Ever drive an old Mitsu Starion? Lag lag lag lag then BAM! shift...... lag lag lag lag BAM! You get what I mean? How close to stock is it in drivability? Other than the gears have seemed to shrink a little.<p>Grazie!<p>Enzo
Old 12-10-1998, 08:50 PM
Alan

How much boost you got after you installed this? Full time 1 bar or more?
Old 12-11-1998, 02:18 AM
Terence

I really don't think that stressing the engine is as big a deal when you're under 350hp.<br>I was talking to Anthony @ Greedspeed (VERY knowledgeable guy) and he said that<br>basically engines are designed to take 2 to 3 times their rated HP, so I figure since the<br>engine is originally designed with 180hp in mind, it should be fine to at LEAST 300hp...<br>Besides I think the biggest concern is blowing the turbo itself, not the engine, so with <br>the K04 no problem with blowing the Turbo, it's designed for the higher boost...<p><br>Terence<br>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Greedspeed K04 experience!