A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Need Advice - Dealer Mishap (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-1998, 01:34 PM
Jim E.

Default Need Advice - Dealer Mishap (long)

Two years ago my girlfriend purchased a 1995 Audi 90 (with 13,000 miles) from Pray Audi in CT. When she bought the car, we were told that it was an "Audi Assured" vehicle. That seemed like a great deal, since it in effect gave the car a longer warranty (to 70,000 miles) than if she had purchased a new A4. Just to make sure we didn't get screwed, I drafted up a contract explicitly stating how the warranties worked, which was signed by the dealership's GM. Now it's two years later, Audi Advantage just expired, and upon bringing the car in for service, we were told that is wasn't covered under warranty (neither Advantage nor Assured).<p>At this point I should give a little background on Pray Audi, and say that they are the worse Audi dealership I have ever dealt with (I'm on my third Audi). Most disturbing is that every body-person that looks at the car says that it had been in an accident. Our sales person promised us several times that that it had never been hit (I should have had him sign something). I guess this would explain some of the suspension ("clinks") and paint problems (cancerous spots keep popping up) we've experienced.<p>Back to the warranty: After talkin to the Pray's management, they said that the car was not sold with Audi Assured, and that it wouldn't be covered. After sending them a copy of the signed contract, they have changed their tune. Now they are saying "Ooops... it was never entered into the system." After pushing them a bit, they have now offered to purchase us a thrid-party warranty. They say that it will be "just like the Audi warranty" but they won't give any details in writting. I don't know if I like the sounds of that. I doubt that the level of protection or service would be the same as with an Audi warranty. Plus, we are planning to sell the car soon (for Grad School), and I question what the third-party (versus Audi)warranty will do the resale value.<p>Becasue of the warranty issue, and becasue of the problems that seem to be as a result of a previous and undisclosed accident, I am considering trying to get the dealership to buy the car back. It is a loaded '95 90 quattro sport with 45,000 miles. She bought it for $24,000. I'd be looking to sell it back to the dealership for $20,000.<p>I am considering the threat of of legal action, and of some serious complaints to AOA. <p>Anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions?<p>Thanks,<br>Jim<br>98 A4 30v qms<br>95 90 qms (a.k.a. "The Slug")
Old 12-17-1998, 01:55 PM
Rob Mack

Default Re: Need Advice - Dealer Mishap (long)

Advice: I bought form Pray. Apart from paying a bit more than usual for my 98 A4 1.8, I have had a good experience with them. My salesman was Jordan Samuelsohn, and he's pretty good. I did meet the "infamous" Malcolm Pray. My advice: find out when he's in, go to his office and DON'T LEAVE UNTIL HE ANSWERS YOUR PROBLEM! If you deal directly with him, you ***might*** get a satisfactory resolution to your mishap. The BBB in CT should know about this incident though: have you contacted them? Pray does have a good reputation though, one that any good owner (Mr. Pray) should take care to keep intact. Keep trying!<p>Rob 98.5 1.8 TQT
Old 12-17-1998, 02:44 PM
What you smoking?

Default You hope to get 20K for a 1995 Audi 90 with 45K , good luck!

nt<br>
Old 12-17-1998, 02:45 PM
klidge

Sell the car for whatever you can get privately, take a bath on the transaction, move on.
Old 12-17-1998, 02:58 PM
JIM H.

Default It's time to cut the bull...

Very simply, your next conversation needs to be with Malcolm Pray. Find out when he'll be there next, gather up all your paperwork, and pay him a visit. I guarantee you that he'll solve your problem quickly and satisfactorily. When he hears your story, things will happen very quickly. Stop debating with the underlings; GO TO THE TOP TOMORROW.
Old 12-17-1998, 03:02 PM
A Long Time Dealer

If you have something in writing, seek counsel and Pray will probably roll over for you....
Old 12-17-1998, 03:27 PM
igor

Tell AoA, take the warranty, sell and run!
Old 12-17-1998, 03:29 PM
steve moyle

Re: Can you stop smoking and put the nt here in the subject so we dont have to click on your post to find out nothings there? thanks
Old 12-17-1998, 03:36 PM
GaryJ

I agree with Jim
Old 12-17-1998, 05:00 PM
Rich D.

Default That does seem optimistic, especially...

...two years and 32,000 miles later. $20K seems higher than full retail price, with '96 A4's often being advertised close to that. Also, are Audi Assured warranties transferrable, anyway?<p>Good luck, though.<p>Rich D.<br>

Quick Reply: Need Advice - Dealer Mishap (long)