need help asap. Timing belt job - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page > need help asap. Timing belt job
Notices
A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help asap. Timing belt job

Reply

 
 
Old 09-14-2013, 02:09 PM
  #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
Default need help asap. Timing belt job

Hello, I'm 12 hours into my first timing belt job late on a Saturday night. 1998 A4 1.8L engine AEB. I just did the water pump and Therm and I'm putting the WP/PS belt back together and the new belt is very loose? So is the old belt and I can't figure out why. The site i'm following to do the job said it should be tight but mine has a good inch or two of play in it? the old and new belts are the same size and i don't recall when taking it apart how loose the old belt was?? any advise??
Jim4802 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 PM
  #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Huskerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,155
Default

Originally Posted by Jim4802 View Post
Hello, I'm 12 hours into my first timing belt job late on a Saturday night. 1998 A4 1.8L engine AEB. I just did the water pump and Therm and I'm putting the WP/PS belt back together and the new belt is very loose? So is the old belt and I can't figure out why. The site i'm following to do the job said it should be tight but mine has a good inch or two of play in it? the old and new belts are the same size and i don't recall when taking it apart how loose the old belt was?? any advise??
Are you talking about the 11 x 528 belt? The shortest one of the 3.
Huskerbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:08 PM
  #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Originally Posted by Jim4802 View Post
Hello, I'm 12 hours into my first timing belt job late on a Saturday night. 1998 A4 1.8L engine AEB. I just did the water pump and Therm and I'm putting the WP/PS belt back together and the new belt is very loose? So is the old belt and I can't figure out why. The site i'm following to do the job said it should be tight but mine has a good inch or two of play in it? the old and new belts are the same size and i don't recall when taking it apart how loose the old belt was?? any advise??
Yes, Thats the size I have but it seems very loose. seems I could almost pull it off. I could text you some pics if your familar with how tight they should be?
Jim4802 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:15 PM
  #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Huskerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,155
Default

Originally Posted by Jim4802 View Post
Yes, Thats the size I have but it seems very loose. seems I could almost pull it off. I could text you some pics if your familar with how tight they should be?
I just checked mine and it's fairly tight. I just put it on a few weks ago. I'm going to go take another look and see what I see. I'll be back shortly.

You did have to loosen the PS pump to get the old belt off right?

If not let it loose and then use a short lever to pull it tight.

Three bolts I believe. Probably 2 or 3 different heads too

Last edited by Huskerbob; 09-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Huskerbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:34 PM
  #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Originally Posted by Huskerbob View Post
I just checked mine and it's fairly tight. I just put it on a few weks ago. I'm going to go take another look and see what I see. I'll be back shortly.

You did have to loosen the PS pump to get the old belt off right?

If not let it loose and then use a short lever to pull it tight.

Three bolts I believe. Probably 2 or 3 different heads too
I did not lossen the PS pump. I removed the front of the WP pully that splits in half with 3 6mm bolts. I dont see where the PS is adjustable? i have the front off the car and can see everything pretty clearly.
Jim4802 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:42 PM
  #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Huskerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,155
Default

Originally Posted by Jim4802 View Post
I did not lossen the PS pump. I removed the front of the WP pully that splits in half with 3 6mm bolts. I dont see where the PS is adjustable? i have the front off the car and can see everything pretty clearly.
On mine there are 2 bolts on the top and one sort of behind. I had to loosen all 3. I do not recall splitting the WP pulley.

Just took another look and the 3rd bolt is behind the pulley. 2 on the top pivot points.

Last edited by Huskerbob; 09-14-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Huskerbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:58 PM
  #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Originally Posted by Huskerbob View Post
On mine there are 2 bolts on the top and one sort of behind. I had to loosen all 3. I do not recall splitting the WP pulley.

Just took another look and the 3rd bolt is behind the pulley. 2 on the top pivot points.
Is your motor the 1.8L AEB?? i just cant see where the PS pump is adjustable? I see all the bolts clearly, but nothing to see how to make the belt tighter? I'll look around on the web some more. Please let me know your engine. much appreciated
Jim4802 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:14 PM
  #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Huskerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,155
Default

Originally Posted by Jim4802 View Post
Is your motor the 1.8L AEB?? i just cant see where the PS pump is adjustable? I see all the bolts clearly, but nothing to see how to make the belt tighter? I'll look around on the web some more. Please let me know your engine. much appreciated
Mine is an ATW. Can you snap a photo?
Huskerbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:04 PM
  #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Originally Posted by Huskerbob View Post
Mine is an ATW. Can you snap a photo?
the belt and the bolts holding the PS pump. The brace in the bottom is not adjustable. can u see the slack in that belt? I'm just not sure. Hope I can attach pics
Attached Images
    
Jim4802 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 AM
  #10
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Huskerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,155
Default

Originally Posted by Jim4802 View Post
the belt and the bolts holding the PS pump. The brace in the bottom is not adjustable. can u see the slack in that belt? I'm just not sure. Hope I can attach pics
I see your answer over at audiforums.com evidently there is a spacer on one of the pulleys that if removed will draw that belt up tight. Good luck.
Huskerbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Boosted01tt
1.8T Discussion
5
01-03-2017 05:55 PM
LaserSVT
A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
64
01-19-2016 04:26 PM
rsixxer23
Vehicles For Sale
4
01-06-2016 03:25 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:05 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: