A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Need some Horsepower Information.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Horsepower Information.

Hey Guys,

It is been a long time since I have owned/driven an Audi. My last Audi was a 1990 200 Turbo Quattro. Since my Audi and I have parted ways, I have been driving an Alfa Romeo 164-Sport. Given that I am in the USA and parts are getting harder to acquire for the Alfa Romeo, I am looking again at Audi.

My needs dictate an A4, and I am interested in that 2000-2003 range. I have been looking for Horsepower ratings between the two cars and I am coming up short.

I like spirited driving which is why I had my original Audi, and currently the Alfa Romeo. My current car has just over 200HP w/ a 5spd manual so I am looking for something similar in the horsepower range.

I am asking here because I want to begin making a list of cars to look at, so any information that you folks feel I should know before meeting with dealers would be helpful.

Thank you greatly in Advance.

Cheers
Martin.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Either way you go you can easily hit 200whp
What style do you like?
2000 is a little awkward on tuning. If I were to do it again 2001 + or 1999 and earlier.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Shawfm,

Thanks for the reply. I have been hearing many comments on which platform is better... e.g. the 1.8T or the 2.8 V6, are there any opinions on which is the better car?

I am looking for performance as well as sensibility. Also, while I know I can tune either car up to 200+ HP, I am curious which of the two platforms has the higher torque and stock power.

I know this may get some scorn on a German car forum, but I am truly an Italian car guy, so when it comes to tuning and racing I will save that for my Alfas. I want to keep the Audi pretty much stock save for suspension and maybe a performance chip upgrade.

Thanks again for your advice and help.

Cheers
Martin.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 90Audi200TQ
Shawfm,

Thanks for the reply. I have been hearing many comments on which platform is better... e.g. the 1.8T or the 2.8 V6, are there any opinions on which is the better car?

I am looking for performance as well as sensibility. Also, while I know I can tune either car up to 200+ HP, I am curious which of the two platforms has the higher torque and stock power.

I know this may get some scorn on a German car forum, but I am truly an Italian car guy, so when it comes to tuning and racing I will save that for my Alfas. I want to keep the Audi pretty much stock save for suspension and maybe a performance chip upgrade.

Thanks again for your advice and help.

Cheers
Martin.

The 1.8t is the better choice because the 2.8 is very limited to what can be done to it to increase the power. A chipped 1.8t is going to be quicker then a 2.8 and from there anything added to the 1.8t just makes it quicker. Also take into account the 1.8t is a bit lighter too.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

600whpA4,

Thanks for the reply. What kind of mods are we talking about to the 1.8T to give it more oomph...and what kind of power range can I get? I am not looking for anything drastic mind you since this car has to be my daily distance driver, however the "weight issue" as you put it has been in the back of my mind.

I dont want something that will be front heavy and boggy going into turns, but then again I dont want to try to "Tune the car" and end up blowing the bottom end prematurely.

I know my next question may get a few biased responses... but I will ask it any way... How "bullet proof" is the A4. As stated above I am really an Italian car guy and I know them well. I have driven and worked on Alfa Romeos all of my driving life. My only previous experience with Audi was a 1990 200 Turbo Quattro which was an amazing car when it was in good tune. That car ran like a battle tank and pulled out of some of the deepest snow that not even my SUV could get loose from.

So that is my overall opinion of Audi which is why I want another one! But I dont have time to really be tinkering with it. I need a car that is 100% reliable "Turn Key" if you will.... something that needs only the NORMAL amount of tinkering e.g. planned V.s. unplanned on a roadside or inconvenient time e.g. winter. My work takes me to places where the nearest dealer is 1.6 hours away so if something were to happen, I would hate the towing expense. What ever Audi I buy.. I will be ramping up the handling but I just want to know what I am getting into.

Granted, with the Alfa I was S.O.L when it came to mechanics so I always carried tools with me.. but this next year will be very hard to do that which is why the Audi comes to mind.

Thanks again to every one for the replies. They are truly helping my decisions with which Audi to buy.

Cheers
Martin.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default B5 Typical issues

Timng belt
Wheel bearings
Control arms

I am on my 2nd B5 and that seems to be the issue's that has come up both times for me. Besides that they are a tank in my opoinion and this comes from personal experience of putting them through chicago, wisconsin winters and loving to beat on my cars.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Depends on the year of the 1.8t, you can get 190+ hp with just a chip and get way better gas mileage at that level then with the 2.8. A great setup for the 1.8 is the ATP elim kit which you can get 320-350hp at the crank and is a great daily driver setup.