A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Oil Temperature vs. Water Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-1998, 09:43 PM
Kyle Bailey

Default Oil Temperature vs. Water Temperature

I have always been surprised at how quickly the coolant gets up to normal temperature, but I have noticed that the oil temperature takes a long time to reach its normal temperature. I know that you should not rev the engine too high while it is cold, but should I wait until the oil temperature is up to normal, or is it okay once the coolant is warm? I ask because I live just a couple of miles from a freeway on-ramp, and sometimes I hit it pretty hard when I'm trying to merge with traffic. The coolant is at its running temperature, but the oil temperature is still near the bottom of the gauge range.<p>Thanks,<br>Kyle
Old 11-15-1998, 10:42 PM
Graham

Default Re: Oil Temperature vs. Water Temperature

To be safe its best not to expect the oil to provide as much protection as it can when not at operating temperature.<p>Temper your need to hit the gas on the first on ramp, merge behind that 'other' vehicle then nail the sucker when your oil is up to temperature.<p>Graham
Old 11-16-1998, 05:33 AM
Bill S.

According to the manual, you should take it easy until the engine (coolant) is up to temperature, which as you say does not take long at all. The manual also says you only need to worry about oil temp if it is around 140. I find the oil temperature has risen above that level when the coolant is up to operating temperature.
Old 11-16-1998, 07:34 PM
tHe uNaBimMer

what do you mean by worry around 140? I can drive around for 1/2 hour and the<br>needle still looks dead....only wakes up if at a long stoplight..then maybe 140-160<br>steady.<br>
Old 11-17-1998, 07:46 AM
Bill S.

Mine definitely rises above 140, though not always by much, after a few minutes of driving. I interpret the manual's advice to mean that as long as the needle has risen above 140, you can drive as you like. I do take it easy until the coolant is completely up to operating temp.