A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

The past few days I've noticed a melting plasticy smell after stopping the car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-1999, 10:51 AM
Concerned

Default The past few days I've noticed a melting plasticy smell after stopping the car...

All my fluid levels are OK. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? I'm making an appointment with my dealer, but it would be nice to know what may be causing this...
Old 04-05-1999, 10:55 AM
Steve S.

Is the car brand new?...if so it could be that cosmolene stuff... should be ok...but get it checked anyway.
Old 04-05-1999, 11:11 AM
Concerned

No. It's got about 5000 miles on it. This smell just started. What's Cosmolene?
Old 04-05-1999, 12:15 PM
al

Default fan wiring?...

I've smelled the same thing on different makes (non-Audi), and each time, it was the plastic coating on the wiring for the radiator fan (electric - not driven from the serpentine belt). Can't remember if the A4 has electric rad. fan, but if it does, might want to check wiring.<p>May not help ya, but, then again, it might....<p>Hope ya find it.<br>
Old 04-05-1999, 12:39 PM
markbradford

Default this happened to me......

I was doing some spirited driving (enough to get the muffler piping hot) and ran over a plastic grocery bag. Man, it reeked for days. Have a look under the car and see if there's any residue stuck on your downpipe or anything. Hopefully, that's all it is. Godd luck!<br>Mark
Old 04-05-1999, 12:55 PM
Robert

Default Same thing happend to me

When I stopped the car, I smelled strong palstic smell comng from the turbo's area. I also saw what looked like smoke/steam a few times. Thie went on for over a year. The delear. <p>They never did anything to fix it until I got the turbo repalced. At arounf 21K, my wastegate rod broke. It started to lose power and make all sorts of wierd noises. The dealer repalced my turbo and I haven't have that smell, or sound since.
Old 04-05-1999, 01:39 PM
john emery

Default Re: The past few days I've noticed a melting plasticy smell after stopping the car...

I had the same thing. I plastic bag had wedged by the catalytic converter and melted by degrees (no pun intended). It lasted several weeks until the dealer saw it an literall scraped it off..cured!
Old 04-05-1999, 02:07 PM
ToNyG3

Default It could be (more)..

that a plastic bag got caught in your exhaust system while driving. These happened to me in my old Jetta and had to go to the local muffler shop to remove the culprit. Good Luck<p>Tony G3<br>fort lee NJ
Old 04-05-1999, 04:54 PM
Pat Gray

Default Cosmoline is a grease used to prevent rust. Usually used on firearms

I don't think it is used on cars, although I may well be wrong. Usually it is applied to firearms that are going to be stored for a long time to prevent rust. It's not really a lubricant AFAIK, so I don't see why it would be on a car.
Old 04-05-1999, 06:12 PM
Steve S.

Maybe it wasn't Cosmoline but some thing else....hmmmm?

Quick Reply: The past few days I've noticed a melting plasticy smell after stopping the car...