A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

POLL - Rebuild the same? Rebuild better? Or don't rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 05:29 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting a building back is not a testemant to commerce.

It's a testament to how we will not allow an act of terror to change our way of life, our world. A memorial would be as much a place indicating sucess for their act as a place of mourning. I for one do not want them that luxury.
Old 09-13-2001, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed, but it's hard to justify building an office on a spot where maybe 10,000+ lost their...

lives.

I just can't help thinking that there WILL be bodies that are never recovered, and potentially we could be raising new skyscrapers on top of their bodies. I know that it will probably happen anyway, but I think that it is disrespectful, in a way. Our nation goes to great lengths to protect Indian burial grounds, for example. This should be treated no differently, IMO.
Old 09-13-2001, 06:57 AM

Default Not to be insensitive but most of the bodies were cremated. If the heat was enough to weaken the

steel it easily cremated people. They said that the rubble pile was like a camp fire, it may lok like it not still lit but if you poke at and move some of the wood you'll see the inside is still red hot.
Old 09-13-2001, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True...and my point becomes that much more relevant. It's not that there might be actual bodies...

but there will certainly be the remains of potentially thousands of people. It would be hard to justify building much of anything on top knowing that.

I don't believe in Karma or anthing like that...but I don't think I'd want to go work in a building every day that's sitting on top of the remains of maybe thousands of people. I'd feel like I was being disrespectful to their memory.