A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A possible solution for all of you who feel your chipped 1.8Ts aren't as fast as you remember...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-1999, 03:16 AM
Gilbert

Default A possible solution for all of you who feel your chipped 1.8Ts aren't as fast as you remember...

Before going in for my 22,500mile service, I wasn't getting the usual grin from having a wett-chip in my 1.8TQM, plus the power delivery down low wasn't the same as I used to remember and if I floored it on a hot day I could hear some slight pinging. This situation had been gradually appearing from around 15,000 miles. So at this 22,500 service, the mechanic showed me my sparkplugs. They had a Thick coating of carbon! To make a long story short once those were replaced I was smiling all the way home. Power was back in a very noticable way even from low down in the rev range, pinging was gone, and did I mention that the power was back. The workshop also bled the brake system putting new brake fliud in and the usual oil change, air filter change.
I still can't believe what a difference it all made, especially the sparkplugs. The brakes are also much better now especially from high-speed stops. They feel much beefier. The moral of this story is; if any of you feel your chipped 1.8Ts are not performing the same as when they were new, check your sparkplugs! suddenly my journey home seems way too short.

one very happy owner,

Gilbert
A4 1.8TQM with Wetterauer chip
Old 10-27-1999, 03:43 AM
JayP

Default ecms: differences between tuners

My tech keeps a sample of plugs to show customers what can happen to an engine.

He changed the plugs out of my car and said they looked really good- dark brown without any significant buildup. He was surprised to see a clean plug since I am running a modchip.

He pulled one out of the can-o-plugs and handed it to me... said it was from one of my pals with a modchip. It was black with alot of buildup.

I run 93 octane only, which probably helped. I have no idea what fuel the other person used but I don't think that was the only 'fouled' plug I've seen from that tuner.
Old 10-27-1999, 04:26 AM
DRF

Default Plugs and wires?

Is there such a thing as getting better plugs and wires? I have seen aftermarket wires, usually colored, but I figured those were just for people who wanted to make their engine "pretty". Not true?
Old 10-27-1999, 04:42 AM
Rodney

Whose chip do you have?
Old 10-27-1999, 04:44 AM
Foo

Larger Gage Wire = Less Resistance = Better Spark
Old 10-27-1999, 04:58 AM
Paul H. (in MD)

Default It would be helpful if you could mention the actual tuners..

I have noticed a buildup of [black] carbon in my tailpipe, and that recently adding a can of Techron (removes carbon buildup and combustion chamber deposits) to a tank of gas did improve performance noticeably. I have the APR chip.

Paul
'98.5 A4 1.8TQTS
Old 10-27-1999, 05:51 AM
Foo

Ermm SMALLER GAGE = Larger Wire Diameter= less resistance.... LOL...sorry. )
Old 10-27-1999, 06:15 AM
Terry D

Default Not on the A4........

......as it uses a "coil" at each spark plug, and does not have the conventional distributor and high voltage spark plug wires.
Old 10-27-1999, 06:18 AM
DaveN

Default Most plug "wires" are not wire...

they are made from a carbon impregnated material, and have a resistance of about 20 KOhm. This is done to minimize radio static as it limits the current rise time at the spark plug. But don't bother measuring the wires on your 1.8T, it doesn't have any.
Old 10-27-1999, 06:23 AM
JayP

Me: mtm Him: Wett

Quick Reply: A possible solution for all of you who feel your chipped 1.8Ts aren't as fast as you remember...