A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

So how do you like the Hyperco springs? How do they compare to, let's say Eibach?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So how do you like the Hyperco springs? How do they compare to, let's say Eibach?

Or how do they compare to any other spring that you have used? Stasis makes the spring right?
Old 06-29-2002, 09:51 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they come in different spring rates.. i have eibachs now, and want to move ot Stasis 500lb/600lb
Old 06-29-2002, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What is the general price range for Hyperco's?
Old 06-29-2002, 09:57 AM

Default they used to be $300. now i think they're more like $400.

but good luck finding some.
btw, i love my ride. it gets kind of annoying around long construction routes (all around my work), but as far as handling and looking, its awesome!
Old 06-29-2002, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, Stasis does not make the spring. They're Hyperco, like you said. They're just 'custom built'

by Hyperco per Stasis' specs.

I know that a lot of people here have them and I have never heard anything but good results. But be careful about bumping up to a super-stiff spring. The upper tower sheet metal on our cars isn't really designed to handle the kind of abuse over time that those kinds of spring rates will be dishing out - especially over potholes, speed bumps, etc.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:59 AM
vik
AudiWorld Member

Default I will have a set for sale at some point in the next month or two.

Replacing them with Koni coilovers. They were just a bit too stiff, ride-wise, for my taste. But the handling is wonderful -- my 911-driving instructor at Watkins Glen two weeks ago was surprised at how well my big old four-door sedan did. It was not an easy decision to take them off, believe me!

-vik
99.5 1.8tqms
Old 06-29-2002, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Remember though...that your choice in damper is likely to determine to a far greater extent

how much damage the upper shock tower sheet metal will incur from the use of an aftermarket suspension. This is one of the reasons I would suggest not getting Bilstein dampers as they have what are IMHO excessively high compression damping values. Bilstein has for a long time marketed their product as an upgraded shock for your existing suspension...as such the OEM sport spring for instance when used in conjuction with the Bilstein will give the impression of a much firmer ride...the reality is it's merely a much harsher ride :-( Their low speed compression damping isn't so bad...but the high speed damping is like off the F#$KIN' charts...so any sharp bumps like you find where pavement has been lapped etc will be crashed over because of the piston speed associated with that event and the level of damping the Bilstein will provide at that piston speed.

Springs like the STaSIS Hyperco 450/500 would probably be best paired with a Koni damper. I currently run the STaSIS coil overs with 500/550 springs and would say the ride is every bit as good as my old Koni setup with was 1/2 that spring rate...if the shocks are done right you can run reasonably high spring rates w/o putting ridiculous loads on the shock tower sheet metal. Take a heavy spring and pair it with a shock that has waaaaaay too much compression damping and Jussnb is right...you're going to fatigue the sheet metal a lot sooner than would be normal.

Regards,
Old 06-29-2002, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Anand the spring rates you're referring to are racing springs 2.5" ID which go on their

coil overs. I don't think Hyperco make springs for the B5 which are wound to use conventional shocks in spring rates that high. For the coil over setup you can go above 1000 lbs/inch if you want to. But when making a conventional spring there is the issue of having to wind in dead coils to hold the suspension together when the car is off the ground. I was told that 500 is getting pretty close to the highest practical values for that style of spring on these cars...but maybe it was bad info I dunno.

If you want to go to values that high you're probably going to have to buy the STaSIS coil overs...which are great BTW...one of my better purchases in recent memory.
Old 06-29-2002, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor

woops, i meant to put 400/500... i was however thinkin bout their coilovers too!!
Old 06-29-2002, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default James...

I'm running a set of Intrax springs w/Koni adjustable shocks right now, but I've been seriously considering moving over to a Stasis/Hyperco spring.

Given your experience with their stuff, what do you think would be a good fit for my 2.8? I have found my Intrax springs to be too a little too bouncy. What spring rates do you think would offer a firm yet comfortable ride? And do you think I'd be OK with my existing Konis?

Quick Reply: So how do you like the Hyperco springs? How do they compare to, let's say Eibach?