AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   Questions: What is wrong with the factory 16" wheels? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/questions-what-wrong-factory-16%22-wheels-78063/)

Audiboy 05-01-2001 11:14 AM

I weighed Chard's wheels compared to my 5 spokers because I was surprised when I tooked his out...

My scale may be off, but nothing is adding 5 lbs everytime I roll the 5 spokes in it. They are light and very noticeable. I also compared my friend's wheel back in '99 when I worked on his suspension. Not bad for a stock wheel.

Andy Hedin 05-01-2001 11:37 AM

Was this with the same tire in the same size?

Tire weight will differ from brand to brand. To do it properly, you should probably weigh the "naked" wheel sans tire.

Reggie3 05-01-2001 11:46 AM

Wrong - my seven spokes with SP8000 was 43lbs and the post was correct less than

a pound different in weight.

Reggie

98.5 2.8QMS

Audiboy 05-01-2001 12:34 PM

No, he had SP8000's on, I have the old goodyear RSA's. My experience with rubber of different types

but same size (205/50/16) was they varied very slightly - 1-2 lbs at most.

Audiboy 05-01-2001 12:35 PM

Ok,then you have a different scale. Can I roll in my 5 spokes there and see 48lbs? It's relative.

Do a comparison. Don't just post one.

Reggie3 05-01-2001 01:02 PM

The postings were correct about 20lbs for both. Somehow you

have a variable that is hard to explain. 38 lbs seems way too light for a wheel and tire combo for the seven spokes. I can't explain it, but I can confirm that I get very similar results to the results posted for the 5 spokes.

Audiboy 05-01-2001 01:44 PM

See my post below. Like I said, my scale may be off, but nothing will keep it from adding about 5

lbs when I roll a different tire in there. Chard saw me weigh his wheels. Plus, they were noticeable much lighter that I can pick it up with one hand - which is why I weigh them in the first place because I was curious. BTW, Chard's tires were almost worn out, maybe 20-30% tread left. Mine are about 80% new. But I have weighed my MAE's when the tires were new (225/40/18 SP8000) and weighed them again when they where corded and got a 1 lbs difference 53lbs vs 52 lbs. My scale is not the most accurate scale, but it does agree with my weigh from the Gym. However, like I mentioned, it is all relative. Tire Rack told me that my 17" Borbet weigh 16 lbs.

Well, guess what. I weighed my Borbet's with their new BFG tires on and got 42lbs. I bought some new Kuhmo tires and weighed them and got 22lbs. I had the Kuhmo's installed and weighed the BFG's and got 21lbs. I weighed the Borbet's with the Kuhmos and got 43lbs. I took all the air out and weighed again and got 43lbs. Guess how much the rims might weigh? Not 16. Maybe 19-20 lbs, otherwise the wheel weights they put in there are over 3 lbs. So, if the same scale is used for all these tires I weighed in my garage, and my biceps tell me that I can pick up one 7 spoke wheel and bolt them in with the other, whereas on my MAE's I have to use one hand and a foot, then they are probably significantly lighter. Otherwise there must be helium in there :)