A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Radio Security Feature. Has anyone asked dealer to turn radio security on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-1999, 05:04 AM
Brad Bilut

Default Radio Security Feature. Has anyone asked dealer to turn radio security on?

We talked about this in last forum. I had to disconnect my battery last week and I was expecting to have to enter security code into radio. It did't happen. <p>Someone has said that the security feature has to be activated through the OBDII, and US models have it disabled from the factory. <p>One guy said he had his radio out of his car for 3 months and put it back in and it didn't ask for code.<p>Radio book says if you disconnect power to the radio or disocnnect your battery the word 'SAFE' will be on the radio when you turn it on next time. <p>I would just like to have that feature on. If some poor bastard steals my radio I would like him to have a suprise.<p>I figured I would ask the dealer to turn radio security on when I go in for my next service. When I ask I have a feeling they will have no idea what I'm talking about.<p>Thanks!<p>Brad Bilut 98.5 A4 2.8Qtip
Old 01-21-1999, 05:27 AM
Chris T.

The radio manual includes the security code that you can enable your radio yourself. No OBDII involves here, do it directly on the radio
Old 01-21-1999, 09:37 AM
Tony

Default Re: Radio Security Feature. Has anyone asked dealer to turn radio security on?

My 99 code feature was not activated either, I suppose the dealer is supposed to do this, but who knows how many Audis are running around with this unactivated. The Concert radio owners manual does not even mention that the coding feature can be enabled / disabled, as did previous Delta and Gamma (Blaupunkt) radios. On the Concert, turn on radion ,press and hold bothe the FM2 and RDS buttons, if "CODE" appears on the display, the coding feature is NOT on. If "SAFE" appears, it is ON. To activate it, continue holding FM2 and RDS depressed, untill display changes from "CODE" to "1000", then release both buttons. Using sation preset buttons #1 (for firt digit) thru #4 (for fourth digit, enter your radio code, then press and hold FM2 and RDS untill display says "SAFE", and then release.