A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

rant on a4 reliability

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-1998, 06:27 AM
John K

Default rant on a4 reliability

There is always much talk of reliability on this forum. While it is hard<br> to say exactly how reliable the a4 is, it seems safe to say that is less reliable than<br> almost all of the major Japanese brands (especially lexus). Why is it so hard for<br> the Germans to build cars as reliable as Japanese models. The country where the cars are built<br> doesn't seem to make much of a difference since Honda and Toyota build reliable cars in the U.S.<br> The Japanese have been building more reliable cars for years, so their methods aren't a big<br> secret. Sometimes, people use the excuse that European cars are more "innovative" and<br> more on the cutting-edge of technology. But they both have things like ABS, xenon healight,s<br> sunroofs, traction control, turbos, multi-valve engines, electronic transmissions and engines,<br> and on and on. In some cases, the Japanese have been more innovative. In fact, German cars generally have less features than Japanese cars<br> at a given price range. So, why for example, do Audis still have more electrical problems (sunroof switches, door locks, headlights are not<br> is not cutting-egden more mechanical problems (things like synchros and wastegates are hardly<br> new technology). I could forgive first-year model teething problems (even though Japanese makes tend not<br> to have these problems), but it seems like Audi still makes the same mistakes year after year,<br> model after model. I'm equally amazed that the Japanese can't make a car that<br> drives as well as German cars. But, that could be seen as more a concious engineering<br> decision. Choosing poor quality, I hope, is not. I'm just frustrated b/c, as much as I want<br> an A4, its hard for me to spend so much money on a product that is so faulty compared with<br> others in the same price range. But in the end, I know I will .
Old 11-10-1998, 06:39 AM
T2

Default Re: rant on a4 reliability

You'll certainly get a variety of responses to your post. I don't have the answers, but in my experience with a Honda CRX prior to my A4, I did not consider the CRX reliable compared to other Honda owners I know. I'm not sure if I got a bad one, or if I'm more particular or what??? It's really tough to judge on personal experience or on a few opinions. For what its worth, Consumer Reports has rated the A4's reliability better than average (as good as some Japanese cars - maybe not Lexus though). In my experience, I had one turbo hose noise problem that was fixed and I have a couple of rattles/creaks that are annoyances.<p>Tom<br>1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 11-10-1998, 06:57 AM
Cris

Default Japanese reliabilty - my theory...

Don't the Japanese use super glue to put their cars together? I have come to the realization that super glue must be what they use to put them together: no creeks, nor squeeks...everything is so reliable,...UNTIL they start falling apart due to the weakening of the super glue bonds with age. Super glue would also explain when their cars don't have the solid "thunk" when you close the doors! Even the driving experience... the super glue can only do so much... it's certainly not going to give you the German teutonic driving experience.<br>Hmm.. I wonder which brand of super glue it is that they use? <br>The truth is out there....<p>Cris<br>
Old 11-10-1998, 06:58 AM
AlexS

Default Don't know if I agree...

I'm not certain that I agree with you here. My wife and I have had several Japanese-made cars over the years and I don't think that our Avant is any less reliable than any of them. We've owned: Supra, Camry, Integra, RX-7, Corolla, Accord. Each of these cars had some type of problem: My Supra used to blow oil-pressure senders (what a huge mess!), the RX-7 ate three clutches in 12K miles, Integra wouldn't shift 2->3 when cold, Corolla was pretty stable, Accord had heating/AC/electrical problem for all 3 years we had it, Camry had AC trouble and blew a lot of oil from every orifice.<p>In any case, I'm not bashing any of the above cars. In general I feel that they were all reliable (I put 175K miles on the Supra and it started all but 3 times). My Avant had a wierd Tiptronic problem (fixed by changing the ECU) and it still has some soft rattles around the top of the door frame. I don't find this to be any better or any worse than any other car I'v owned (alright it's better than my Saab 900). But the Avant is without any doubt the best drive I've had in a very loong time!<p>Alex
Old 11-10-1998, 06:59 AM
hans

I agree, my TL is more reliable (and faster) than my A4 (nt).
Old 11-10-1998, 07:31 AM
John Costin

Default My take on this issue related to this forum ... (long)

is that so many things are discussed here that I don't think it is fair to assume that A4s or any other German automobile, is less reliable than their Japanese counterparts. Sure there are problems and I think it's safe to assume that this would be true of any make of automobile. Information is just not concentrated because there are no forums that exist for every make/type of automobile out there. If that were the case, I think we would hear more problems similar to what we experience in this forum. <p>I know that people seem to take offense when a particular model is targeted. Hell, I can rant and rave about how reliable my old Toyota 4x4 was and how it started everyday. But it cause me some problems along the way to 113,000 miles. The vehicle itself was recalled twice, had problems with the valve-cover gasket, brake problems, and so on and so forth. But the important thing is that the manufacturer owned up to it and fixed the problems. Maybe, when people pay a certain price for a certain vehicle, they automatically assume that phrase, "You get what you pay for." It should be true to an extent, but, let's not forget that these are still mechanical/electrical devices that do have a finite service life and have been touched by human hands. So, you get a lemon once in a while. Even the Nordstar system has its faults.<p>Just my humber opinion.
Old 11-10-1998, 07:32 AM
John Costin

Ooops ... that was my HUMBLE opinion.
Old 11-10-1998, 07:37 AM
Eric

Default Very well said......

I'm in the same boat. I love the way the A4 looks and drives, but the amount of problems that surface on this board is a little overwhelming. I wonder every day if I should go ahead and buy the A4 like I've been planning. But, since there's so few drivers cars out there, I guess I'll bite the bullet and hold my breath.<p>If only Honda built the A4 as we know it today.<p>And all these guys that try and rationalize that the A4 really isn't any worse (from a reliability standpoint) than Japanese cars. Please. Give us a break. Nobody can match their quality and reliability.
Old 11-10-1998, 07:54 AM
E

Default Very well said!

RANT ON ;-)<p>I bought two new 96 A4's, one for me and one for my fiance. They were built and delivered 6 months apart - i.e. different shipments. Both cars have exhibited identical problems - front suspension lower links, clutch master cylinder, power window motors, squeeky seats, rattles, etc. Most if not all have been fixed, but I do not want to spend any money on these cars when the warantee expires in Dec and June. I am in the process of negotiating with AoA to extend my Audi Advantage. I recommend this for everyone (with a 96 or 97). I am not alone out there. I have spoken with many disappointed Audi A4 (mostly 96 and 97) owners at my dealership. People on this bb have fooled themselves in believing that this car is reliable. IMO, Audi has done an excellent job in prodding their customers in giving an "excellent rating" to Audi, CR, and JDP. Most of these problems surfaced after 6 months, long after the reports have been compiled. Also, IMO this BB represents the Audi enthusiast - the consummate apologist for the car. <p>I will stop here. RANT OFF <p>E<br>96 A4QM<br>96 A4QM<br>86 4000S
Old 11-10-1998, 07:56 AM
Unbiased

Default Sorry I cannot agree.

Japanese cars are stale for one, not to mention I have seen plenty of Japanese lemons as well. The construction is getting to the point that it as flemsy as American cars. Both cars have their good as well as bad points. If you want to overpay for an overglorified honda, nissan, or toyota by buying an acura, infinity, or lexus then do so. As someone once said, "A fool and his money will soon part!"<br>Do you want to be cattle or an innovator. MOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: rant on a4 reliability