A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Rear Foglamps: Dealer says that only the left rear is supposed to work. Is this B.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-1998, 08:32 AM
Tom S.

Default Rear Foglamps: Dealer says that only the left rear is supposed to work. Is this B.S.?

I recently turned on my front and rear fog lamps on my new A4 and noticed that the right rear fog lamp did not work. I assumed it was a faulty bulb and contacted a dealer regarding repair. He told me that this is normal and that Audi had, for some reason intended it this way. Anyone else have any info on this?
Old 10-31-1998, 08:35 AM
Bob Petruska

Default That is correct!

Or otherwise it would look like your brake lights were stuck on if you forgot to turn the real fogs off. It would attract cops!
Old 10-31-1998, 09:17 AM
Gene E.

Default Dealer is Correct

nt<br>
Old 10-31-1998, 11:21 AM
Josh L.

... But Right is wired (not difficult to enable - requires cutting hole open and putting bulb in - check archives)
Old 10-31-1998, 11:45 AM
James

Default Re: Not true for '98s . . . [more]

Hey Josh,<p>Tom said his "new" A4, so I'm guessing it's a '98 on taillight. It may be true that the '96 and '97 taillights are pre-wired for the passenger side rear fog, but it is not in the '98 taillight. The bulb holder contact for the rear fog on the passenger side is missing. It's not hard to put a contact in if you know what you're doing, but you do have to finish the electrical connection before placing a bulb in. And yes, you still have to cut out the plastic to fit the bulb into the lense part of the assembly like the '96 - '97 taillights.<p>One more thing. The taillights in the '98 on taillights use #1057 bulbs for the rear fog, the back-up light, as well as for the turn signal. Good luck finding this bulb in any local auto parts store. No one carries it, not even a VW/Audi specific parts store in town. I was told by someone who worked in a VW dealer that there's some kind of diagnostic system on board that detects a fault if the bulbs on the left and the bulb on the right does not match up. That's why I was searching so hard for the #1057 bulb. Finally, I decided just to try and put in a #1156 bulb in there. I figured since there was no bulb in there in the first place, it shouldn't give out a fault warning. I was right. The #1156 bulb worked just fine. I even tried putting it in the back-up lights and turn signal just to see if I get any warning. I didn't. I don't have the trip computer though, so that may be why I didn't get a warning. <p>Hope this helps<p>James Wu<br>A4 Club of Vancouver<br>1998 Black/Onyx 1.8tqa<ul><li><a href="http://avant.extreme.com/va4">A4 Club of Vancouver</a></li></ul>
Old 10-31-1998, 02:07 PM
Josh L.

I stand corrected - this helps since I was going to do it soon
Old 10-31-1998, 03:07 PM
klidge

Read your manual. There's only one rear fog lamp.
Old 10-31-1998, 08:37 PM
Dale B

Early 98s (amber turn signals) have the wiring/socket. Apparently later 98s don't.
Old 10-31-1998, 08:40 PM
Dale B

Default Of course...

It would also attract cops if you have only one fog light, since they could think that only one brake light is stuck on. I guess if a cop looks interested in your rear fogs, put the brake lights on for a second and he should lose interest.<p>Actually, cops seem to be pretty disinterested in these types of defects. There are so many people running around with 1 (or none at all!) headlights, multiple brake lights out, etc., that it is ridiculous.
Old 11-01-1998, 08:47 AM
Alan G

Two fog lights can give false braking impression

Quick Reply: Rear Foglamps: Dealer says that only the left rear is supposed to work. Is this B.S.?