A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Regarding my previous posting: I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY A4 AND NEED YOUR HELP

Old 12-28-1999, 01:25 PM
Bob Shakib

Default Regarding my previous posting: I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY A4 AND NEED YOUR HELP

Dear fellow A4 owners,

Some time ago (10/13/91) I posted to this forum asking for your help in giving input
regarding the vibration at idle problems I was having with my bran new 99.5 Audi A4 2.8 Quatro. I had mentioned that after numerous failed attempts by the Audi rep and dealer to fix the
problem, I finally took Audi of America to arbitration to plead my case.

I just wanted to let you know of the outcome. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED TO LOSE
THE ARBITRATION!!! AND DISGUSTED IN AUDI OF AMERICA FOR REFUSING
TO BACK THEIR PRODUCTS.

The arbitrator was an older retired German fellow (A Mr. Fred Kirschner from San
Francisco). He was not only completely clueless about cars but he was clearly on
Audi's side from the beginning. For example I presented among other documents
printed copies of some of your responses to my question reagrding any vibrartions
with your cars from this forum. He scoffed that vibration is a subjective thing and that
input from other Audi owners means nothing in the way of any evidence. He also
disregarded a signed letter from an independent mechanic who had examined my car
and stated that the problem was not normal. He also broke the rules of arbitartion but
seeking input from the arbitration coordinator regarding the vibrations.

Representing Audi was Mr. Jim Oldham (a non technical manager type of person who
was there because Mr. Mora the rep who worked for him was transferred to Florida).
Also they had
a mechanic (Rick Taft) from the Sonnen dealership in San Rafael (where I had the
misfortune of purchasing my Audi) who had first worked on my car there to testify that
there was nothing wrong with the car!!! Even though he himself had spend a day trying
to get rid of the vibrations
by looseing and tightening the engin mounts...

Audi's postion was basically that the numerous repair attempts (4) were in fact not
repair attempts but attemts to PLEASE THE CUSTOMER! They claimed the
vibrations are within spec but they failed to show any spec specifying vibration
characteristics. It's very disappointing to see that after all the reputation problems Audi
has had in the US they are still playing these slimy games and not taking responsibility
for their defective product.

By the way I did have one other person contact me from this forum and showed me his
car which has the same exact problem (but somewhat less exaggerated). He is also
wondering what to do with his Audi...

At his point my options are:
1) waste a lot of time and restart the arbitration process (allowed in California if
another repair attempt is made) and see if I am more successful this time.
2) Try to reason with th enew Audi rep in Norther California and see if he/she is willing
to help
(I have asked for an appointment but have not heard back in 2 months)
3) Sue Adui and Sonnen Motors to get the car replaced.

Neither of the above choices are exactly how I like to spend my free time but I feel that I
have to do something to stand up to Audi for their irresponsible behavior.

Thanks for listening and let me know if you have any input or advice for me.

Regards,
Bob Shakib (shakib@pacbell.net)
Old 12-28-1999, 01:32 PM
Philip M

Default OK - I'm not really an expert but ..

Aren't there lemon laws in CA that might apply in this case based on the number of repair attempts? I don't think going to arbitration eliminates your option to go after them by way of the lemon laws.

I'm not an expert on these vibrations and I don't know the specifics, so this is just an off the cuff response to the issue as stated.

I'd have to think that civil action should be at the bottom of the list of options, but I understand your frustration.
Old 12-28-1999, 04:08 PM
Rich L.

Default Sorry to hear about your continuing problem.

That's an awful situation. If you're looking to get out of that car, try selling it to that same dealer. Maybe a trade for another make they sell. I know trading a newer car is expensive, but maybe cheaper/easier than futher legal action. You have ample documentation that the car is in top shape...

Good luck,
Rich L.
Old 12-28-1999, 06:20 PM
Matthew

Default Please read

I think you should again have your car looked at by another audi dealer without telling them your previous problems or dealings. Then go to another indepedent mechanic and have him give you a written statement(as well as the different audi dealer) then you should show these to the california Audi rep and Audi Of America. If they are still not helping you get a lawyer and hit them with your letters and anything you can get from the lemon laws of Californa. Hope this helps
Old 12-29-1999, 03:59 AM
Monkeyboy

Default Try to resolve....

I agree with the other posts in that you best course of action appears to be:
1) Try to resolve by going to another Audi dealer - get them on your side. Just bring it in, work (nicely) with the service folks. Starting off with an attitude about the cars past won't get them on your side. I would assume that your car has its service record accessible to all Audi dealerships, so they may already be able to pull up the past work done on the car.
2) If above fails, look at bringing it to an independent garage. Yes you will be paying for it, but it sounds as if you cannot live with the car in its present state. Will be cheaper and less frustrating than arbitration (again).
3) If above fails, look at the cost of selling the car and getting another. Yes this is extreme, but if you cannot live with the car in its present state, this may be a viable option. Look purely at cost.

You main goal should be to
Resolve the issues with this car. What can be done to get it done for free. What is the minimal cost route if you cannot get it done for free.

Do not get tied up with the legal battles as you will lose in the long run (time, frustration, cost). Yes, the car may not be right, but (unfortunately) you do not have a cut and dry problem. Sound, feel is subjective - they will hide behind the "within spec" crap and show all of the time they spent trying to fix and will illustrate that the problem may be with your expectations.
Old 12-29-1999, 05:19 AM
Troy J

Default Don't give up, keep applying pressure....

I had Dodge buy back a truck from me after 5 months of pressure. The truck had a rough idle and hesitation problem after sitting over night. I took the truck to a couple of different dealers who claimed there was nothing wrong with my truck.
I started the arbitration process and went through two inspectors before I got Dodge to buy the truck back. The first inspector completely ignored me, would not allow me to explain the problem to him and knew all of the mechanics and salesmen at the dealership. It should clearly state in the arbitration rules that the inspector should have no ties with the dealership where the truck is being inspected.So after the inspection, I wrote a letter to the arbitration board and explained how I was treated by the inspector. And of course he said there was nothing wrong with my truck after only looking at it for a couple of hours. So Dodge sent out another inspector a few weeks later. He kept the truck for two days and a week later I got a call from Dodge claiming that there was nothing wrong with my truck but they just wanted to satisfy me as a customer. What a line of crap. So I took my money and bought a Toyota truck.
One word of advice: KEEP GOOD RECORDS!!!
I would write Audi a letter and tell them about your experience with the inspector. It is better to write letters and send them certified mail that way you have everything documented. If you make a phone call document it. If they see that you are serious, they usually will cooperate with you. Good Luck!!