A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

REPOST: Anyone know how to remove the wires from the taillight harness?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-1998, 05:25 PM
James

Default REPOST: Anyone know how to remove the wires from the taillight harness?

Hey Everyone,<br> <br>I got one reply from Mathieu Lapointe on my last post, but he instructed me on how to remove the bulb holder in the taillight instead. (thank anyway Mathieu). I want to knowabout the actual wires leading into the hanress that plugs onto the bulb holder. So I ask again:<p>"I'm trying to take out a couple of wires from the taillight harness. I've opened up the harness itself, but the wires are in there pretty tight. I can't figure out how to task them out.Are they clipped in there somehow? "<p>Thanks for your help.<p><br>James wu<br>A4 Club of Vancouver<br>1998 Black/Onyx 1.8tqa<ul><li><a href="http://vancouver.a4.org">A4 Club of Vancouver</a></li></ul>
Old 12-21-1998, 11:36 AM
mywheels

Default What the !@#$% Try again.

No offense Wu, but I can't figure out just what the hell you are asking for and I'm sure many others here are just as puzzled. I see posts like yours that I am unclear about what you are asking and I generally just skip it since I don't need the information. Point being, re-phrase and use different terminology each time you ask, you'll likely get better results.
Old 12-22-1998, 12:46 AM
James

Default I thought I was clear. I guess that' why we need others to proofread our essays. . . Let me try again.

Hey Mywheels,<p>I thought my description was fairly clear. Oh well. Let me try this again. (In a few more words)<p>I've unplugged the wiring harness from the taillight. As I mentioned in my last post, the wiring harness (that's what they're usually called isn't it?) is the thing that plugs into the bottom of the bulb holder (as the Audi manual call them). <p>Now, I've opened up the harness by prying one side of it open as it's suppose to, now I'm trying to get the wires out. (that's also what they're usually called isn't it?) My problem is that they seem to be in there pretty tight, and I can't get them out of the harness.<p>If you really want to get specific, it's not really the wires, but the ends of the wires which make the connection with the hold holder, but it's basically thing.<p>Now can anyone help?<p>James Wu<br>A4 Club of Vancouver<br>1998 Black/Onyx 1.8tqa<ul><li><a href="http://vancouver.a4.org">A4 Club of Vancouver</a></li></ul>
Old 12-24-1998, 12:47 PM
mywheels

Default Re: I thought I was clear. I guess that' why we need others to proofread our essays. . . Let me try again.

O.K. I think what you are talking about is the plug that plugs into the taillight. The harness is the wiring bundle. I have changed my taillights but I didn't open the plug, I had no need to do so. Why are you doing this? If it is anything like other plugs I have taken apart, there should be a plastic tab holding the clip in the plug. The clip is the metal piece that the wire is connected to, the clip connects to the taillight assembly when the plug is pushed in. There are several of these in the plug. Anyway, you should be able to use a small (jewelers) screwdriver to press the plastic tab out of the way and pull the wire to remove the clip from the plug. Don't pull too hard on the wire, you could risk pulling it loose from the clip. It should reinsert back into the plug fairly easily.