A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Reviving the fun o' the forum with Audi content

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-1998, 10:27 AM
stevebrown

Default Reviving the fun o' the forum with Audi content

Here's a weird thing about the A4 Concert stereo system:<p>Four different speakers. Ok, yeah front & back are OK if they are different, but right to left? Now it has been said that one of the fronts may be dual voice coil for cell-phone, but upon looking at mine, neither front speaker (speaking of mid's here) has dual inputs for dual voice coil.<p>Now this is just weird: Driver front is NOKIA. Passenger front is Blaupunkt. Different cone material...slightly different cone shape. Rear speaks are different (one looks like it powers both rears with some kind of little amp). BUT, cone material is slightly different on the mid...AND the center is inverted on one, but not the other. One tweet has AUDI rings covering it, one has a plastic doohicky that looks like a diffuser. <p>Didn't look closely when I removed them, but I was stowing them in a box this weekend as I cleaned the garage & took a closer look.<p>steve
Old 10-27-1998, 11:04 AM
Gary J

Default Steve, what did you replace the OEM speakers with? Did you need/use the MBQuart adaptors (or others) --- more inside

I've been gathering info via the archives for a couple of weeks on how to upgrade my 98.5 non-bose speakers (with a 4 channel amp of course and base to be added later). Here's what I know already (I think). <p>MBQuart makes adaptors for the front that allow 5 1/4's to be installed. I can't find out whether these adaptors will fit other speakers. I understand they have a 2 3/8" mounting depth. Do you think these adaptors will fit any speakers (with a good seal) if they satisfy the mounting depth, or am I stuck w/ the MBQuarts.<p>What size speakers fit in the rear deck? Do I need any adaptors?<p>If you speak to specific speakers, can you give me model numbers. I've also read that some of the 5 1/4" MBQuarts don't fit in the front. Also I've read that imaging is a problem in replacing the front separates. Do you recommend using coaxials instead?<p>As you can see, I still have a lot of questions, although none if them bash anyone else and they're definately audi content.
Old 10-27-1998, 11:13 AM
Koushik

Default This might explain why a lot of people dislike the sound quality from the stock Concert setup...

<p>.. just my $0.02, but having two different models of loudspeaker on left and right probably means that you get a different sound profile (freq. response, transfer function, whathaveyou) on each ear. If significant enough, this difference can be truly annoying to the listener. <p><br>-K.