A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

RKA other S4 owners who still Lurk, and all us A4 owners!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RKA other S4 owners who still Lurk, and all us A4 owners!

Hey Guys,

So I've been researching some stuff for my friend because he was looking into getting an S4, and when looking through the archives I've stumbled upon some A4 vs S4 stuff that went on back in the day. I stumbled onto some musings like

1.8T vs 2.7T from ol SameerP:
https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/794923.phtml

And other posts comparing A4 and S4, which is better etc. Now before I say anything, I just want to say I'm not re-starting the war or a big debate, just my own 2 cents, and what conclusions I'm drawing. They could be different a few months from now, but at this very second is what is going on in my head. Now right now I'm a poor college kid, but I always thoguht after college I would like to own an S4. But now I think my views have changed. I've read how basically (I already knew this one) but basically both the A4 and S4 are basically the same car. Besides different engine, side moldings, and front and rear bumper stylings we're looking at a souped up A4 aka S4 =)

Reading Sameer's post reminded me that the 1.8T is a very powerful engine, while being a little rough compared to the 2.7T is it still a good performer. But one of the things that worried me mainly about the S4 were the turbo issues. I know alot of people say just don't do any engine mods, and you'll be okay. Well I've read that even stock S4's have blown turbos, but face it, we all hang out here in Audiworld, we are all going to get pressured and have "itch" for some more speed. So we chip and run a good % risk I feel with the S4 turbos...I believe RKA said in an earlier post he feels the turbo's went out on S4's because of the small engine space. Basically sticking the 2.7T in an enviroment where the 4 cylinder 1.8T is comfortable = alot more heat. While A4's 1.8T is pretty much a bulletproof engine, especially since our block's were originally designed for a diesel design. One positive for the A4.....

And now a new factor I didn't really think about until I started researching was the weight of the S4 is alot more than A4 1.8t....while the obvious difference between that is gas mileage a big factor, I never really thought about handling. Yes I know you can slap some coilovers on the S4 and it will handle well, but it seems that people who went from A4 ---> S4 always commented on how they miss the lightweight,docile, tossible nimbleness of the A4 especially from the frontend.

That being another + for the A4....as well as that a stage 3 A4 is quicker than a stage 2 S4. While I believe I read Stage 3 A4 was about 280HP and ur looking at Stage 2 S4 at around 300HP, I believe the weight issue came in again making the A4 quicker. (someone want to confirm?) This without really risking, at least in my opinion, too much. Stage 3 A4 safer reliability wise more so than Stage 2 S4? At least thats the kind of feeling I get from reading everything on both boards.

My final point is that it costs alot more to fix and mod an S4 that an a4. Some of the mod's I have seen fo the s4 are nearly double the cost of the same for the a4, while some of you may have steady incomes, I think that it would be alot of cash. I read some people said they feel better putting $10K into a $25K A4, rather than $10k on a $40k S4. While these numbers were both when each car was new, and now you can get A4's and now S4's for under 20K I don't know how much value that statement still holds.

But basically what I am trying to get at, is that I am not putting S4's down, or putting A4's up. It's just that I feel alot of people on here are driving A4s until they have enough for an S4. I was in fact one of them, but now after reading this I am not so sure anymore. Maybe I'll look into getting a 2001 A4 1.8T as DBW technology seems to be promising with APR and other companies slowly. Or maybe find another 99.5 and put my money into, I'm just saying right now I'm not really sure. Maybe my opinion will change after school, but as of right now I'm not so sure about the S4 as I once was. As well as I'm not sure what to tell my friend right now. I'm kind of inclined to say maybe an A4 will be the better value in the long run...I just don't know...But I do feel proud and lucky to be driving such a great car as the A4, it brings back alot of things that I had forgotten back into mind about the car. I think I will go and wash it right now, thanks everyone and please add your comments, opinions, etc. Peace

--Asif

Last edited by A4orce84; 06-20-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:32 AM

Default I think others will share my opinion when I say: There is no way in hell I'm reading all of that.

Certainly not without paragraphs.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

your wish is my command mike =)
Old 10-03-2004, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

i read!!
Old 10-03-2004, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default A4s are definitely more expensive to mod

To get an S4 deep in to the 13s, you buy a $300 chip. To get an A4 to the same place, you buy a $4-5000 big turbo kit, clutch, and exhaust.

The S4 is like the A4, but much much faster, with a much higher performance ceiling, and turbos that occasionally blow stock. With its 6th gear, 2 extra cylinders, and gobs and gobs of torque, it is also a better highway car.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well I can tell you that it's not short by any means.............

But you do have some good points. Someone once said that the A4 Forum is full of S4 wannabes. Obviously untrue. I'm not saying I wouldn't want an S4, but I'm very happy with my A4. But bottom lines, I don't think any of us really should be debating about anything in here as far as "My car is better than your's." B/c we're all on the same teams right? I've come over from the dark side (BMW) and at first I was suprised how much nicer everyone was here. But then there's those days where someone gets a little out of hand, and people's fellings get hurt. It's just like the BMW forum. Anyway, that's my 3 or 4 cents worth.........
Old 10-03-2004, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my 12v is better than both 1.8T and 2.7T

so there.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default It's a car, not a wife

We should be able to say one is better than another without getting offended.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ??? my wife is better than your car???

what about that sort of thing
Old 10-03-2004, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Your wife definitely revs higher, that's for sure

My car doesn't seem to make nearly as much vacuum either.

;-D

Quick Reply: RKA other S4 owners who still Lurk, and all us A4 owners!