A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Roof cargo box--anyone have one or now about them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-1999, 08:06 AM
Bill S.

Default Roof cargo box--anyone have one or now about them?

I'd like to get one, but first would like to hear others' experiences. I LOVE my Avant, but on road trips with two people and two dogs, just not enough room! What I've learned:<p>Audi offers one, very expensive (>$500), very long (for skis), opens from the side, looks nice.<p>Thule offers a short one, opening from the back (a major disadvantage in my mind), plus several long ones opening from the side. But Thule's fit guide does not recommend these boxes for the A4. I spoke with Thule about it. They said the A4-recommended crossbar placement will not provide for proper support of their boxes. I'm not sure exactly what they mean, and I'm not sure that you couldn't safely use the Thule boxes with some common sense on loading.<p>Yakima and one or two others offer boxes similar to Thule's. I suspect the fit issues would be similar to Thule.<p>Any experiences or thoughts? By the way, I have the Audi crossbars.
Old 01-03-1999, 08:22 AM
Steve S.

Default I have the Yakima RocketBox (but not on my A4)

I would think mine would be too long for the sedan...and it would be questionable for the Avant. Just my opinion..the thing is long, and might not have enough support for the long boxes. You might want to check with NeilM...when he gets back from the auto show (with Jason and Matt)...he carries kayaks, skiis, bikes, etc...on his Avant.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 01-03-1999, 12:36 PM
Josh

Default I have the Thule Adventurer 650...

It's 7 1/2 feet or so, hinged on one side, and fits on half the rack (so you can use a bike or ski attachment at the same time if you want). I used it on my 94 VW Passat, but haven't actually attached it yet to the A4 (will be doing so when I move). It's holds a ton of stuff. You can order from <B><A HREF=http://www.ageebike.com/prod01.htm>Agee's Bicycles</A></B>.<p>-josh<br>98.5 2.8qms<ul><li><a href="http://www.ageebike.com">Agee's Bicycles + Racks</a></li></ul>
Old 01-03-1999, 05:36 PM
DJW

Default Re: Yakima RocketBox (longish)

I have had the RocketBox on my Avant (although neither it nor the rack are mounted right now). It fits fine, but there isn't much flexibility in mounting location.<p>I mount the Yakima crossbars at the designated points on the roof rails. In this position, the rear of the box just clears the antenna and the open tailgate, but the box must be mounted off to one side. Center mounting might "look" better, but side mounting is really the only practical way anyway, if you're short like me.<br> <br>There are a range of holes for the front and rear mounting areas of the box. With the bars positioned as above, the box attaches via the closest together positions, which also is not perhaps aesthetically perfect. However, from my manipulations, there is no other combination of crossbar and box positions which will allow adequate clearance behind the box.<p>With this arrangement, you can fully tilt the sunroof open with just the crossbar in place, even though it sits right over the middle of the glass. This is not possible when the box is mounted, as the bottom of the box rests slightly lower than the crossbars. That's the only significant drawback to the setup if you use your sunroof for more than just extra light.<p>Lest it sound like I'm complaining, I have no complaints about the setup. This is just info for you to consider. Yakima also has a newer long box called the SpaceBooster, I believe, which is a bit shorter in length than the RocketBox. Might be worth a look. In case you aren't aware, you can browse the products at:<p>www.yakima.com<br>www.rei.com<p><br>Regards, <br>Dean W.<p><br>
Old 01-03-1999, 06:43 PM
Bill S.

Default Re: Yakima RocketBox (longish)

Thanks for info. Questions:<p>1) Isn't a lot of the back end of the box unsupported due to the forward-mounted crossbars? Is the ABS plastic box rigid enough to support cargo in the back of the box without worry? <p>2) Does the front of the box extend over the windshield, and if so, is that a problem?<p>3) Does the box have internal mounting points for securing the cargo so it doens't slip around?<p>Thanks!
Old 01-03-1999, 07:50 PM
Steve S.

Default Since these are generic Yakima RocketBox questions...I can answer

You asked....<p>1) Isn't a lot of the back end of the box unsupported due to the forward-mounted crossbars? Is the ABS plastic box rigid enough to support cargo in the back of the box without worry? <p>The RocketBox is strong enought to support sleeping bags, snowboards, ski boots, skiis,<br>and some ot the softer luggage (there is a limit to the weight though - sorry I forget the amount...maybe 120 lbs)<p>2) Does the front of the box extend over the windshield, and if so, is that a problem?<p>Yes, It will definitely go over the windshield...it did this on my Jeep Cherokee...not a problem<p>3) Does the box have internal mounting points for securing the cargo so it doens't slip around?<p>Inside the box it has tie down straps...two or three I think...I used them when I could..most of the time I just put bulky things like sleeping bags up in the box...pillows...and smaller luggage items...but you could put ski boots, skiis, etc. up there as well.<p>Let me look for a pic of the rocketbox on the Jeep...I will scan it and post here if I can find it.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 01-04-1999, 09:16 AM
jp

Default Thule box w/ Yakima bars on Avant (long)

I have a Thule Adventurer (650?) box on my Avant. I had to use the Yakima crossbars, since the Thule mounting arms would not fit well on the luggage rack. <p>The box seems to work well. We did need to push the crossbars further apart than the position marks on the roofrack so they met the minimum distance for the cargo box. Doesn't seem to be a problem though. The box will bend the antenna a bit - but its flexible, so I don't think it will be a problem.<p>As long as you can push the Audi crossbars further apart, you should be able to use the Thule box on them.<p>BTW: I have also used a Thule box on an A4 sedan. I had Thule crossbars. It worked great. You could go this way on the Avant (roof mount crossbars rather than on the roof rack), but since you already have the other crossbars, it probably doesn't make much sense.<p>Also, the Thule box has a new attachment mechanism which is WAY better than their old one (& the one Yakima offers, or so I'm told). Much easier to get the box on & off.<p>good luck!!!<p><br>
Old 01-04-1999, 02:44 PM
Bill S.

Default Re: Thule box w/ Yakima bars on Avant (long)

Thanks for the info. The Thule dealer said you could just drill some new holes if the crossbars were too close together. I am a little worried about compromising the strength of the box with supports too close together, but I guess it would be OK if you loaded the box lightly. Your solution is probably OK, too, I would guess, although Audi most likely recommends the bar positions based on the amount of structural support underneath.<p>How long does it take you to mount/dismount the box? Does it have tiedowns inside for securing cargo? Does the windshield overhand bother you?
Old 01-04-1999, 10:17 PM
DJW

Default Re: Yakima RocketBox

"Isn't a lot of the back end of the box unsupported due to the forward-mounted crossbars? Is the ABS plastic box rigid enough to support cargo in the back of the box without worry?"<p><br>Actually, the front and rear mounting points for the box are about eqidistant from the center of the box. Mounting crossbars toward the front of the roof rails simply positions the whole box closer to the front end of the roof, which is also closer to the midpoint between the axles. It DOES place the front of the box over the windshield but as Steve S noted, it isn't a problem.<p>Regarding load placement, I try to put heavier items as close as possible to the crossbars, preferably between them. I also try to put primarily light, bulky items in it if I have a choice, however either end will also support reasonable loads. The box is fairly rigid longitudinally once closed and latched. Great way to carry a baby stroller on extended trips!<p>Sorry, no pictures available ...<p><br>Regards,<br>Dean W.<p>
Old 01-05-1999, 08:31 AM
jp

Default Re: Thule box w/ Yakima bars on Avant (long)

Mount/dismount (just the box): I think it took me about half an hour to mount the box the first time (to assemble to mounting mechanism). If I had known how the new mechanism worked, I think it would of been less. I haven't removed the box yet, but with Thule's new mounting mechanism I suspect it's about a 5 minute job to remove or install the box.<p>Tiedowns: The Adventurer has two tiedowns. I've rarely used them in the past. Ski's don't really need them, & usually if I'm putting luggage in, I've been able to arrange things so they don't slide around.<p>Windshield overhang: I've used these boxes on different vehicles for about 10 years now - you just get used to the overhang. It really doesn't interfere with any useful vision, anyway. The only thing I have noticed w/ the overhang, is you will get some hard water spots on the windshield from dripping off the box (condensation, etc.) - easily cleaned off, though.<p>good luck...

Quick Reply: Roof cargo box--anyone have one or now about them?