A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-1999, 08:46 AM
Anna

Default Roof Rack

I have an A4 Avant with factory rails and need a rack. I was ready to buy a Yakima, but wish there was something that would look better, like a factory rack. Any ideas. Is there anywhere to buy this?
Old 09-27-1999, 09:00 AM
Rich W

Default Try a Saris Roof Rack...

Saris are nice because of their Aero, "Wing-Like" profile. They also make less wind noise. I'm not sure if they make a unit that attaches to the factory roof rails. Try calling them.

If not Thule or Yak is the way to go. I do know that Thule makes a nice connector that works with lengthwise factory roof rails.

Below is a link to Saris' website...

Good Luck
Rich W 99.5 1.8TQMS Sedan<ul><li><a href="http://www.saris-products.com">Saris Roof Racks Website</a></li></ul>
Old 09-27-1999, 09:22 AM
Peter Brennan

I've got one for sale-see classifieds
Old 09-27-1999, 09:25 AM
Space

Default Thule 751 Rapid Railing...

I'll post more after my Avant is delivered, but this looks a lot sleeker and faster for on/off than Thule's older system.
Old 09-27-1999, 09:36 AM
Rick Snyder

Default One important thing...

Anna,

I have an 98.5 Avant QMS with a Thule rack. I went with the Thule because it was about 3/4 of an inch lower then the Yakima version, which seemed to look better to me. However, I have since found a slight problem, I can't fit my skis in the rack now. My skis have a riser plate under the binding, and I have to split the skis up and face them up. I can't get my snowboard in either. So, remember to consider what you will be putting in the rack before deciding. If you aren't going to be putting anything like that on, you'll be fine with either.

Just something to consider,
Rick
98.5 Avant QMS
Old 09-27-1999, 09:54 AM
Anna

I looked for your ad, but didn't see it.
Old 09-27-1999, 10:46 AM
Peter Brennan

Default E-mail me and I can give you the particulars

In a nutshell,
saris racks
2 full tray bike holders
2 2-piece bike holders (handy when you take it on/off all the time
1 ski carrier 4 pairs or 2 snowboards
Cable lock
Clips for VW Fox Rain gutter type (fits any car w/gutters and clips for VW Golf.

I'm in Westchester NY if you live in the area and want to look.

I'll sell it for a good price.

Please e-mail me as It was probably deleted
pjb@poyryusa.com
Old 09-27-1999, 11:53 AM
Peter Brennan

Default Thule's are too easy for thieves to steal

Lost a Thule set-up(w/fairing) in less than 5 minutes. Thule rep stated "the locks are only there to "Keep honest people honest" not to prevent theft at all.

Just something to think about.

Peter Brennan
Old 09-27-1999, 01:18 PM
Jack Martin

Default Re: Roof Rack

Audi does sell a set of pretty low profile, high capacity (rated for 220#) crossbars which are a great fit and present a slightly lower profile than most of the Thule and Yak racks and create slightly less wind noise. They go for $250 for the bars alone, though, so they are not price-competitive with the standard Yak and Thule systems. But they are very easy to install and remove, unlike my experience so far with my Yakima "DoubleCross" brackets. However, you'll have to go with Audi accessories --- unless you want to try to kluge something together with Yak or Thule parts --- and there's not a lot of choice there. Your dealer's parts people can get them for you.

The Thule 751s are new, and look like good options, but they're pretty long for Audi A4 installation, and, unlike standard bars, it appears that they can't be shortened to make a better aesthetic fit. They'll stick out about four inches past the rails at the front bar and five inches past the rails at the rear bar.

For ease of operation, the stock Audi parts are low profile, low noise, lower utility, high quality and capacity, and really high price.

Jack Martin
Old 09-27-1999, 01:45 PM
Anna

Default Re: E-mail me and I can give you the particulars

My email didn't make it.
I looked at the Saris site. i don't think I can use their racks with my factory rails.

Thanks anyway,

Anna

Quick Reply: Roof Rack