A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Secondary Air Intake (quite lengthy)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-1999, 02:00 PM
Scott

Default Secondary Air Intake (quite lengthy)

Right before my 7500 mile checkup, Check Engine light came on. I figured it was just a service reminder (and it may well have been), but when in service I had a problem with "secondary air intake). Before I got home from the service the light was back on. (I never noticed if it was off after the service) I called Audi service (Pray Audi in Greenwhich...THEY SUCK), and they told me that they just needed to reset the light, as they had forgotten.) I am a busy guy, so by the time I get my car back in it has been 2,500 miles. They go to reset the light, run the diagnositcs and discover that I have a secondary air intake problme (again!...meaning it was never fixed). So now, I have to wait 11 more days till they can schedule a servicing. So, first of all, what is a secondary air intake problem? Did I damage my car driving around for 3,000 milese with this problem??? And, can it cause problems in the future? Thanks!!

Scott
Old 08-05-1999, 05:46 PM
Audiboy

Default Re: Secondary Air Intake?

If I am not mistaken, the 30V may share the same concept as my 12V as having two intake runners - long and narrow and short stubby ones. The long ones for lower rpm and short for high rpm. They are controlled by a vacuum diaphram via a vacuum solenoid to the ECU. I don't know what engine you have but for the 1.8T, there is no need for the long vs short runners as forced induction motors behave differently.
So, if you have the 30V and the secondary air intakes are a problem, symptoms are not very smooth idle and power delivery from low rpm.
Old 08-05-1999, 07:47 PM
Doug

Default Re: Secondary Air Intake?

I had this problem on my old GTI VR6. The secondary air intake is in front of your air filter, and it likely uses the main filter as its own filtration. It controls cold startup, and the amount of air consumed until the car is warmed up.

I actually had a dealer once look under the hood and tell me that they wouldn't even inspect my SAI, because I had a P-Flow installed. The little chrome filter used with a P-flow on a VR6 is for the SAI. Furious, I went to another dealer. It turned out that the problem was a $.69 fuse that had blown.

First inspection, check your fuse box. That can be easily fixed and the code recleared. I'm surprised this wasn't done after originally reading the code at the dealer. Good assertion that the service tech was inadequate.

If the fuse is intact, the pump is blown. Not a major problem in the summer, but should be fixed. The pump is covered under warranty.

Good luck,

doug
Old 08-06-1999, 12:04 AM
Edmund L

Default No, that's not it....

The secondary intake is for emissions control - what it does is that when the car is cold, the computer turns on an air pump which injects more air into the mixture somewhere along the line, which helps reduce cold start emissions and bring the car's cats up to temperature quicker. After the car is warmed up it'll turn off.

I believe doug's explanation is closer to what i'm trying to say, go ahead and check your fuses to see if it's the pump that goes faulty.

But hey, Audiboy did a good job explaining the dual-length intake system on the V6's!!! =) heheh...

HTH,
Edmund Louie
98 A4Q 30V