A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Service for "Check Engine" Light and Audi Quattro/Handling Claims

Old 12-29-1998, 09:43 AM
GaryJ

Default Service for "Check Engine" Light and Audi Quattro/Handling Claims

Service: I tell this story just to relay the facts so others may benefit from my experience. Yesterday, coming home from work, my "check engine" light came on. I was very concerned as my car only has 3,700 miles on it and Wed I leave for a week long snowboarding trip. I got home at 5:30, called the Audi dealer and explained the situation. The service guy I talked to said no problem, bring it in early on Tuesday and they would fit me in. This made me extremely happy, especially with the service department who was turning people away on Tues. morning because they were booked up. I brought the car in, they looked at it and it turned out to be a missing gas cap. PLEASE, AUDI, CONNECT THOSE DAMN THINGS TO THE CAR FOR US FORGETFUL FOLKS. The dealer said the lost gas cap was my fault, and that the diagnostic to determine the problem was not under warranty and I would have to pay for the labor, as well as a new gas cap. Oh well, live and learn. 1/2 hour of labor was charged me (the service mgr said he was giving me a break as it actually took 45 minutes). It indeed took 45 minutes as I watched my car from the waiting room. What I don't understand is that for about 35 of those minutes, the car just sat there; it was only worked on for less than 10 minutes. Oh well, live and learn. BTW, labor was $90/hour (WOW, I'm in the wrong business) and the gas cap was $13. . I then pay and pick up my car and look for the new gas cap; When I look I see a familiar trademark stamped on the gas cap: VW, not Audi. I went back in asked about it and the service guy said they were out of Audi caps and the VW one should work fine. Good enough BUT it bugs me having a VW cap (I also think they should've told me, but I am kind of ****). I know some of you think I'm nuts, but I'll probably order another Audi cap later on. Lesson for today: LEAVING YOUR GAS CAP BEHIND WILL COST YOU $60 AND AN HOUR AT THE DEALER: DON'T LEAVE IT BEHIND.<p>Audi handling claims: While at the dealer, I read several brochures I had not seen before. One, an explanation of Quattro. In it, Audi states the following: "Only quattro has 3 differentials, including the torque-sensing TORSEN center diff. that automatically transfers power between the front and rear axles. Not only does this make the car more neutral in its handling -- neither tail-happy nor nose-heavy -- it allows for far better cornering than two-wheel drive systems." I'm confused. I thought many people were posting that there was virtually no difference between the quattro handling and the FWD handling. Any comments?<p>Also, I started talking to the service guy about all that I've learned on A4.org and he almost went ballistic. Starting going on and on and remote range fixes and reprogramming the remotes and how they weren't supposed to be doing any of that work here in the US, blah, blah, blah. He started complaining about the fact that the internet was allowing people to obtain/share information that was never available to the public before (he didn't like the fact that the TSB's were out there in the world). Anyway, he really turned me off. I can understand some of his points about "recoding the remotes" but I didn't think he should complain to a customer about other customers finding out about the range fix TSB, and then asking there dealers to perform this fix.<p>I left the dealer happy that I didn't have a bigger problem, happy that they fit me in, but with that overall feeling of mistrust that I've alway had towards service depts.
Old 12-29-1998, 09:54 AM
andrew h

Default thoughful post...

this is the kind of constructive post that is much more helpful than post we see that are completely irate and combative. Just wanted to chime in and say that this kind of post is welcome, as far as I am concerned...<br>Cheers,<br>Andrew
Old 12-29-1998, 10:33 AM
Gene E.

Default Re: I agree

This is an honest and helpful post.<p>Gene
Old 12-29-1998, 10:44 AM
kj

Well said!
Old 12-29-1998, 10:47 AM
Drew S.

Default Does the VW gas cap have two notches in the rim?

The Audi gas cap has these notches and it is designed so that you can hang it on the top of the gas filler door while you pump. It would be very hard (though not impossible, I suppose ;-) to forget to replace the gas cap when you have to remove it to close the filler door.<p>I had reservations about putting the gas cap on the door and affecting the paint when I first got the car, but I quickly got over it. It is not causing damage and I have never forgotten to replace the cap after filling.<p>Hopefully your VW cap will have the same feature and this will help you.<br>
Old 12-29-1998, 11:01 AM
Miles

Default Re: They do

I always get a Jetta as a loaner from my dealer, and it has the two-notch gas cap as well. I think its the same cap, probably just stamped differently. I think the cap is designed well, and I've never even come close to losing mine. So, I don't think Audi should be blamed for not tethering the thing to the car.<br>I don't think it matters at all that its a VW and not an Audi stamped cap. No one will ever notice. Of course, I was a bit turned off by a Saab I was driving when I noticed that all the little plastic parts were stamped "GM," so I understand where you're coming from.<p>Miles
Old 12-29-1998, 11:08 AM
vik

Default On gas caps and vehicle dynamics (damn long!)...

Re: the gas cap... If I'm not mistaken, the gas cap has a couple of molded "fingers" that will clip it onto the fuel filler door. That way you can't forget it, because the door won't close with the cap clipped to it. Am I wrong here?<p>That said, it seems to me the service guys did some serious gouging. I've been reading posts on this board for only a month or two, and I'm aware that a missing gas cap will trigger the check engine light. The logical thing for an honest service technician to do when presented with a check engine light is to take 30 seconds and check the gas cap first, it would seem. And yet these guys let the car sit for 35 min. before they got around to looking at *anything*, much less the gas cap? And then charged $45?! Smells fishy to me. Gary, if I were you, I'd take my business elsewhere.<p>(Also, Gary, you're not ****. I'd order the Audi cap too! :-)<p>*************<p>As for AWD, in theory the Audi brochure is right. Think of it this way: "nose-heavy" = understeer = front tires lose traction first, "tail-happy" = oversteer = rear tires lose traction first. <p>In a FWD car, the front tires are required to steer AND accelerate the car. Since both tasks demand traction, the fronts will typically reach their limit before the rears do, since the rears are basically just tagging along. Ergo, most FWD cars will understeer. (There are several other reasons, but I'm trying to simplify the discussion.)<p>In a RWD car, cornering and acceleration are decoupled. Depending, therefore, on how hard you're cornering and how much throttle you're feeding, the car will either over- or understeer. This is what people mean when they talk about "steering the car with the throttle".<p>In Audi's quattro setup, however, things get more complicated. The torsen diff will send torque to whatever axle has the *most* traction, up to a 70/30 split if I remember correctly. This means that if, say, the front is slipping, the torsen will take torque away from the front axle and give it to the rear axle. Since the front tires are now putting less *power* to the ground, they can use more of their available traction for *cornering*, which will reduce or eliminate slip. The torsen is doing this continuously, which means that it's constantly adjusting the axle torques to maximize grip at *both* axles, (which is a good thing). Basically, this is what Audi means when they talk about "neutral handling".<p>The flip side of this is that you're lugging around 230 extra lbs with the quattro hardware. Vehicle weight is directly related to the maximum velocities you can carry around corners without slip, and quattro adds something like 7% GVW. <p>This, I suspect, is why that magazine (Automobile?) that tested quattro vs. FWD A6s ended up with its conclusion that quattro was no better in the dry. Also remember that the magazine tested with pro drivers, who were able to extract the maximum performance out of the FWD car. AWD is much *easier* to drive when at or near the limit, so you and I would almost certainly run faster laps in a quattro-equipped car.<p>Side note: this stuff applies in the snow, too. I've seen a lot of posts here talking about how quattro accelerates better in bad weather but has no effect on stopping or cornering. While I agree that quattro will not shorten stopping distances, I do believe that a torsen-equipped AWD system will provide significant cornering benefits in the snow. The caveat is that I have never actually *driven* said system in the snow myself, but the logic tells me it has to be better than 2WD.<p>(BTW, read Bondurant or any other vehicle dynamics books for a much better explanation of vehicle handling. The concept of traction circles illustrates this stuff very effectively. Also, I went from memory, so all you handling gods, please correct any mistakes gently. :-)
Old 12-29-1998, 12:22 PM
Greg Slater

Default Re: On gas caps and vehicle dynamics (damn long!)...

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "handling god", but I am an SCCA regional autocross champion and I do have a physics degree, so I'm not completely clueless about this stuff either. As for quattro vs. non-quattro "handling" issues, I simply look at it this way: For most people, car "handling" gets ugly when wheels lose grip, and with a quattro, the application of throttle is less likely to result in any wheels losing grip due to acceleration.<p>Get both cars up to speed, COAST them through identically-sized and identically-shaped corners in identical conditions, and they'll both do pretty much the same thing. But once you get any throttle application involved, the quattro is much less likely to get any wheels spinning, so there'll be no corresponding loss in traction due to spinning tires, and this is generally a more "stable" condition for most people. On dry pavement with a 150 HP car, you're not likely to notice the difference. With a 190 HP (or more) car on snow/ice, it should be rather noticeable. I gurarantee that I can accelerate better out of a snowy corner in my quattro than I can out of a snowy corner with a FWD A4. If this means it "handles" better in the snow, then so be it...
Old 12-29-1998, 12:25 PM
GaryJ

Default Both have the notches. (more)

I really love the Audi/VW gas cap that hooks on the door. Funny thing is, my last car didn't have this feature and in 7 years I never lost the gas cap. It took me only 3 months in the Audi to lose one; go figure. Anyway, I never noticed my fuel door being left open, so I can only assume after I left the cap off that someone closed the door, or the wind closed it. Hopefully this $60 fix is engrained in my long term memory and won't forget again.
Old 12-29-1998, 12:32 PM
Chris L.

Default $6 plus shipping

I had the same thing happen.... lost my gas cap, purchased an aftermarket cap at a local auto parts shop and the next day the check engine light came on. When I called the service department at my dealer, the RECEPTIONIST told me to check the gas cap (obviously A4 owners lose alot of gas caps...). When I told her that I had indeed lost the OEM cap but replaced it, she suggested that I check to ensure that it sealed correctly. Not wanting to take any chances, I called Clair Auto Parts and ordered an OEM replacement cap for $6 plus shipping. Cap came 2 days later, check engine light went off the next day.<p>Sounds like the receptionist that I dealt with would have been fired at your dealer for costing them $60 worth of business!<p>Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service for "Check Engine" Light and Audi Quattro/Handling Claims