A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Should I get this for my 2.8 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get this for my 2.8 ?

Looks pretty sweet.<ul><li><a href="http://www.electricsupercharger.com/products-eram.html">http://www.electricsupercharger.com/products-eram.html</a</li></ul>
Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh damn! Immagine that+ electric supercharger+ Tornado= Something that would

Put any stgIII to shame.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Go speed racer go.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 AM

there is no way an electric supercharger will give you any decent flow to matter
Old 04-22-2008, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

does. not. compute. too. much. power.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Copied and pasted from the testimonials page :-)

Audi A4

As far as how these Audi people are taking it, a few people thought that I still had a belt driven supercharger specially when I passed the other Audi's on the track. I had to explain it was E-RAM - lost the posting as there was a problem with the website several times this month. But I did post pictures of the ERAM installation process in my
car. Just thought I would like to share that with you. Here is a complete picture posting of my car air intake mods as well as individual ERAM pics.

Eugene

In-depth response from A4 owner added 2/5/00:

One "ERAM" electric supercharger unit costs $300 back then. I just visited the ERAM site today and it looks like they got quite a few other options now. I have 2 units in my car - I felt that one unit was not enough but most likely due to the very restrictive intake plumbing of the A4 (1.8, 2.8 etc). So all in all, I spent over $650 in the car, and just like you mentioned, everything counts on this 12V. I had to custom make a tube - like a cone conversion kit so that I can use the ERAM inside the air box. The other ERAM is in between the air meter and throttle body. Other custom
fabs I have is the throttle switch which I bought from radio shack - because it works better than the fatter switch provided with the ERAM back then. Only cost $2 anyway. I also custom built a vacuum switch - which I know
they sell somewhere, but couldn't find it in time for a race. The vacuum switch ties with the secondary intake runner control valve that goes on at 4000 rpm. Therefore, I have one ERAM going on at full throttle, the second
ERAM turning on at full throttle and 4000 rpm - provides a smoother power flow than just 2 of them turning on at the same time - confuses my ECU somehow.

Does it make a difference? - Not very dramatic, but for the price you pay, it is not bad. I figured that I added enough horsepower on this car to make it perform as well or better than 30V 2.8's running at 190 hp. Testimony? I have it all on tape - From Sears Point Raceway to Laguna Seca. I have footage of my car gaining on Christine's AMS chipped 30V 2.8Q on a long straight of Laguna Seca. Too bad I did not have 20 more horsies to pass her. I have footage of passing an E30 M3 in Sears Point, I have footage of passing a Type R in Laguna Seca on the back straight - we're very close to equal. I have a GTECH that I measured 0-60 runs at consistent 7.2 seconds. Without the ERAM, 7.5. 0.3 sec? In Corkey Bell's book on Turbocharging, that's roughly over 10-12hp increase. By matching "chipped" 2.8's 30V, I say, I am running an additional 12-15 hp with the ERAM's. So, with my "custom" exhaust, TAP throttle body - which did not help any in my opinion as the ERAM'' were doing all the work already, I believe my car is doing a tad over 190hp - up from 172hp - and that's how I keep up with the newer 2.8's. And in my book, that's good for a car with virtually no mods out there. So, let me know what you think.

BTW, do you have a picture of your cone conversion kit you can email? I can recommend where you can put the thing because it is easier if you already have the kit.

BTW, will I stop here? No. I am looking at fuel pressure risers. I will also get VAG software/cable to see what air/fuel the 12V is at. There is more to gain with the ERAM's with added fuel and timing. I found a piggyback computer module from "The Racer's Group" - a Porshe racing fanatic group whose 600hp C4 took us like we were standing still - and I was in one of the 300hp Porshe's in the track. If this module knows how to cheat the 12V ECU to add more timing and fuel, it is better than a chip - so I'll check it out. I won't stop till I get 240hp on this car. Not be
possible with the ERAM's but they will always be there as they help anyway.

-Audiboy
Old 04-22-2008, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oh my god

who is Eugene? cowboy up, whoever you are!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

But he has it all on tape, how can you argue that?...:::LOL:::...
Old 04-22-2008, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dir. Eng. Thomas Pirowski - Vtech

Renault Safrane 2.5L Stock

"Dear Sir We have received your products (e-ram) we have ordered as Vtech. As we are dyno manufacturer, we have tested your e-ram on our labolatory dyno. We have tested one e-ram in stock Renault Safrane 2.5L gasoline engine (using labolatory dyno with 0.1 HP proven accuracy) and the rounded results are as follows (wheelpower HP, wheeltorque, Nm)

Before - 109 HP / 182 Nm After - 119 HP / 195 Nm

We will test another cars now (e.g. Ford 500 3.0 V6, Ford Mustang 2005 4.6).

Let us know your e-mail, so we can send you results with dyno printouts. Also A/F ratio and other parameters are tested along with measurement. Maybe this will be interesting for you.

Regards

Dir. Eng. Thomas Pirowski
Vtech
Old 04-22-2008, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually there was one done which really did make a difference in HP, but it was much larger than

the engine, and there was no practical way to generate the voltage needed to power it. There was something done in the Automotive engineers journal.

Quick Reply: Should I get this for my 2.8 ?