A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

So my oil is still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my oil is still leaking

I replaced the valve cover gaskets, and both cam chain tensioner metal gaskets and half moon seals. My car is still leaking oil and I cannot pinpoint its origin. Any help would be great, on the ground the oil is under the oil pan and oil filter and near the back a little. Every now and then it smokes and the smoke comes from near the firewall near the left head as well as right head. I had about an 1/8-1/4 quart every week which I'd estimate about 200-400miles a week. Any input would be helpful at this point. Also to throw in this post, I think my pcv is clogged because on the ends that plug into the valve cover, there was a little sludge and cleaned it best I could..Car is an 98 a4 2.8 5spd quattro. Its also got 187,xxx miles
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

did you replace or check the rear cam Plugs? on the rear of each head is a round rubber plug about 1.5 inches round. they just pop in and leak often, when they leak they can drip on the exhaust, or just down the rear of the block. just feel behind the head and you will see it. if it's wet replace it.
Also if your PVC system is clogged it can blow oil out of many places! this must be clean and working properly, check your suction pump, this is the first thing to get plugged and then the ends of the plastic hoses as you saw!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jschick
did you replace or check the rear cam Plugs? on the rear of each head is a round rubber plug about 1.5 inches round. they just pop in and leak often, when they leak they can drip on the exhaust, or just down the rear of the block. just feel behind the head and you will see it. if it's wet replace it.
Also if your PVC system is clogged it can blow oil out of many places! this must be clean and working properly, check your suction pump, this is the first thing to get plugged and then the ends of the plastic hoses as you saw!
how easy are the cam plugs?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

actually, it was relatively easy, only needed to do the drivers side as the passenger side is dry, all i had to do was get a flathead and a hammer and hit it a few times and it fell out. Popped the new one in by hand and was all done within 10mins.Passenger side you need to move the intake tubing and the driver side youll need to move the coolant resevoir out of your way. I noticed there was plenty of oil directly under the drivers side cap/plug on what appears to the control arm/subframe and looks like a little pool.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yep, these plugs go bad often, and very easy to replace! hopefully that takes care of it for you!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yea, i hope so too, but most likely it wont clear up until after i replace the pcv