A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Starter problem, no crank, no click, new starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problem, no crank, no click, new starter

Hello,
I own a 1998 Audi A4 1.8 and I have a strange problem with the starter motor.
When I try to start the car, the headlights go out as they should, but there is no click from the solenoid and no cranking. I have tried to start it with other batteries from other cars and still no difference. I measured 12V at the wire connector on the solenoid on the starter connected to the ignition key while turning key, 12V at the big positive wire to the starter solenoid and almost no resistance between starter motor surface and battery negative.
By these measurements I thought the starter was bad so I replaced it with a brand new one but still not starting!!! Still no click or crank. Tried with a fresh battery with no luck. I measured the wires again with same result as before.

The car is easily push started and runs great so there is no problem with spark plugs or fuel pump. There shouldn't be a problem with key anti theft programming either as there is no blinking yellow light on the dash.
I appreciate all help I can get!
Old 07-01-2019, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vingateo
Hello,
I own a 1998 Audi A4 1.8 and I have a strange problem with the starter motor.
When I try to start the car, the headlights go out as they should, but there is no click from the solenoid and no cranking. I have tried to start it with other batteries from other cars and still no difference. I measured 12V at the wire connector on the solenoid on the starter connected to the ignition key while turning key, 12V at the big positive wire to the starter solenoid and almost no resistance between starter motor surface and battery negative.
By these measurements I thought the starter was bad so I replaced it with a brand new one but still not starting!!! Still no click or crank. Tried with a fresh battery with no luck. I measured the wires again with same result as before.

The car is easily push started and runs great so there is no problem with spark plugs or fuel pump. There shouldn't be a problem with key anti theft programming either as there is no blinking yellow light on the dash.
I appreciate all help I can get!
Try the Starter Relay (J682).
I think it's under/behind the dash somewhere.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi! Thanks for the answer!
The relay seems to be working because there is voltage at the positive connection on the solenoid from the ignition when turning the key.
If the relay would be broken there wouldn't be amy current comming through right?
Appreciate the help!
Old 07-15-2019, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Solved!

Hello again,
I got the new starter out again and tested it and the connections turned out to be in another order than on the original starter motor. I tried connecting the small 12V cable from the ignition to the other small connection on the solenoid and it started without problem. I put the starter back in and the car started up!

Btw, on the 1998 1.8l model without turbo you do not need to remove any part except for the wheel and the wheel cover thing to get to the starter. You can pull the starter out through the wheel well right over the axle.

T
Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for posting the resolution.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Getting ready to do the starter motor on a B5 A4 12v Quattro. (Any tips?). No crank, no click, fuel pump primes, dash lights up, push starts. Haven't measured power at the starter + but the battery guage shows a slight load when key is turned.