A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Rough Running Early 99 A4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Running Early 99 A4 Quattro

I have an Early 99 (9/98) A4 Quattro with 168K on it. I just recently had to bring it to the dealer, lack of time more than anything else and they replaced a single coilpack.

I just cleaned the throttle body and ran some seafoam through it and everything was running good for a few days. The throttle response from a dead stop is still poor, as it has been for 60K miles that I have owned the car, but overall everything was fine, now the car is running very rough again (misfires) and is undrivable.

I have an old ICM that was replaced when it was still good, and tried swapping that out, that did nothing. I replaced the plugs as I thought that maybe the seafoam fouled it...nothing.

I do not have access to a Vag-COM so I can only use a standard code reader, I was getting a PA103 code MAF or VAF. I tried clearing the codes after replacing the ICM and the engine light has stayed off, but stilla rough ride. I have read that the coilpacks on the AEB engine do not usually fail like the new ones, but should I consider replacing the other 3?

I took the car for a 10 minute test drive (to the autoparts store and back) and when I opened the hood the turbo and exhaust manifold were glowing like I beat on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Engine is a 1.8T

Engine is a 1.8T
Old 09-23-2009, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

For the lag from a dead stop, our cars kkk turbo's dont kick in til around 2700. You wont get any true power til the boost kicks in. Also when one coil pack goes, usually another will go shortly afterwards. Find out which one it is. You can read up on it in here but its very easy DIY.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i had very similar symptoms on my 01 1.8t last year. i think it is your coil packs. I had to replace all 4 twice. got a bad batch for the replacement (go figure). mechanic got them replaced no charge. once this was fixed, the car ran like new again and the turbo is no longer cherry red.
i was beating my head against the wall thinking it was a bad cat, clogged jets (lean), and on and on.

I know its not a cheap fix, but I think you are heading down this road already. Viceprp is on teh mark. the packs do fail around the same time. 168k miles, you could be due for another set (mine went at 80k).

bk
Old 09-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Not the Coil Packs

So I replaced the Coilpacks, No Go, I specifically had the guys that I know at the parts store pull all new ones from the central warehouse instead of using the ones off of their shelf. In theory, they could be bad, but who knows.

I did however notice a leak in the exhaust system, I can;t tell yet if it is the cat, or post. I was thinking the same thing earlier today, could the cat be clogged causing this? If not, maybe I have a fuel issue, Should I try replacing the pressure regulator or possibly the fuel pump?

I know I am at a huge disadvantage without a VAG, but after spending $150 of Coilpacks that I didn't need, I would like to prevent ordering a VAG unit right now.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Joel
Old 09-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default MAF

Also, thinking back to the code pulled off of the Generic Code scanner, any chance it could actually be the MAF?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Reset check engine light

Just took a spin down the autoparts store, reset codes, now car seems to studder at idle only when first started, not at traffic light sonce the car is running (as if there is a vacuum leak) than even out. Drove the car a few miles home, no misfires or engine light, popped hood when I got home, Turbo is still glowwing cherry red.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It's not the Coil Packs, Plugs, MAF Sensor, now what?

I replaced all the above mentions items. I also hollowed out the cat that seemed to be clogged and was the original cat from manufacture and installed foulers to prevent CEL from the cat. Buttoned everything back up and started the car, it seemed to be running good.

I left the car running to let is warm up and went inside, when I went back outside, the car was off. I restarted it and the idle was very bouncy / rough. I took it for a quick spin and am having the same problems, the car in tiptronic runs okay up to about 5K in 1st gear, but in 2nd or 3rd, it jerks as if there is a fuel cutoff. Again though, at idle, it is running very rough and will even stall out if left alone.

Could this be caused by a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor?

The only code that I have been able to pull was from a Standard scanner and came up as MAF Sensor.

Any help appreciated.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

MAF sensors can and do go bad, my 1.8T Passat shook and ran crappy until it was changed (under warranty). Using a PC running the VAGCOM program is the usual way to watch the grams/second air flow, which should be zero when the engine is off, and a few g/s at idle. Now I clean mine every time the air filter is changed, because the MAF sensor is right there in the filter housing. Even a dirty or corroded connection could cause it to malfunction, so take a careful look at the connector parts.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Brand New MAF

In theory, it could be the MAF, but it is brand new. I will try to get my hands on a VAG and check it out.

Thank you
Joel

Quick Reply: Rough Running Early 99 A4 Quattro