A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

TICKING/CLICKING NOISE WHEN ACCELERATING.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by djgoldeneye
ok ill try these two options. but please tell me none of these options will make it worse.
No they will not make it worse and they are easy things you can do yourself without having to go to a shop.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
No they will not make it worse and they are easy things you can do yourself without having to go to a shop.
this is gonna sound so stupid i dont even want to post it but anyways. the sound that i was so concerned seems to be coming from the muffler. i made a video of the engine being reved please watch.
if this is the muffler im sorry for wasting your time.

however to add i succesfully completed the repair of the gas gauge with a tutorial i found on this site. so thanks again to everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbtp1Tn_Lh0

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cbtp1Tn_Lh0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Damn, sounds good compared to mine...

Theres barely any ticking noise from what I can hear?

On mine its a very distinct loud ticking, I might upload a video soon so people might be able to get a better idea.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KingstonAudi
Damn, sounds good compared to mine...

Theres barely any ticking noise from what I can hear?

On mine its a very distinct loud ticking, I might upload a video soon so people might be able to get a better idea.
im sure the guys here will help to figure out whats the problem.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just throwing in my 2 cents, i had a similar sound that i am hoping after this weekend will fix it. Check your Turbocharger gasket and your Catalytic Converter and gaskets around there. I had a CAT recently changed out and the guy who did it used one of the old gaskets and upon inspection i say my turbocharger gasket showed some white residue (which when i showed my friend who is an Audi Semi-Expert) determined that the gaskets where letting air escape and causing that rattling...

Hope this helps
Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

do u hear the same sound in the video in your car? let me know how your fix turn out.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOCAL_audiA4
Just throwing in my 2 cents, i had a similar sound that i am hoping after this weekend will fix it. Check your Turbocharger gasket and your Catalytic Converter and gaskets around there. I had a CAT recently changed out and the guy who did it used one of the old gaskets and upon inspection i say my turbocharger gasket showed some white residue (which when i showed my friend who is an Audi Semi-Expert) determined that the gaskets where letting air escape and causing that rattling...

Hope this helps
V6. No turbo there.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't hear a distinctive ticking. Sounds fairly normal, but a little on the loud side. When was the timing belt last done? Bad idler, water pump, or belt can make noise.

Why is the coolant in the reservoir not red?

I see the Castrol jug, but what weight is it? Too thin of oil can make noisy valvetrain. Most xx-30's run on the thin side (except GC 0w-30). Depending on climate a xx-40 should be run.

Last edited by 5v/cyl; 05-20-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
I don't hear a distinctive ticking. Sounds fairly normal, but a little on the loud side. When was the timing belt last done? Bad idler, water pump, or belt can make noise.

Why is the coolant in the reservoir not red?

I see the Castrol jug, but what weight is it? Too thin of oil can make noisy valvetrain. Most xx-30's run on the thin side (except GC 0w-30). Depending on climate a xx-40 should be run.
im using 5w40 grade synthetic
Old 05-20-2011, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

im not sure when the last timing belt was changed. should the coolant be red.

Quick Reply: TICKING/CLICKING NOISE WHEN ACCELERATING.