A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Tiptronic too slow?

Old 01-18-1999, 12:11 PM
David

Default Tiptronic too slow?

The Audi A4 brochure lists 0-60 times of 9.0 for 2.8q Tip and 7.1 for 2.8q 5-speed -- a difference of nearly 2 seconds! Why is there such a huge performance penalty for the Tip?<p>For the BMW 328i, I think the difference between stick and auto is only 0.6 second.<p>Why can't Audi narrow the performance gap between the tip and the 5-speed?
Old 01-18-1999, 12:33 PM
PhilJ

Default Before all you guys jump all over this post...

This has been covered in the forums many many times before, click on "Search Forums" and do a search.<p>Quic k answers:<br>- Depends on whether Audi measured 0-60 while in tip mode or if they just left it in automatic mode. Automatic mode is slower.<br>- torque converter sucks performance out of the car<br>- tip shifting is slower, there's almost a 1-second delay between shifts<br>- Different gear ratios between tip and 5-speed<br>- depends on how you drive the tip- leave it alone and let it shift by itself, or shift manually <br>- tip hardware weighs more than 5-speed<p>- there is at least one company (Garrett) that offers tiptronic mods to reduce shifting time from 1 second down to around 0.2 second. A couple of people have done this already, no idea about how it affects reliability.<p>my US$02,<p>Phil<br>98.5 Wett 2.8 q-tip
Old 01-18-1999, 01:24 PM
David

Default but that still doesn't explain...

the fact that BWM's auto is only 0.6 second slower than its stick while Audi's is 1.9 seconds slower.<p>I like the A4 a lot. I prefer its understated elegance over BMW's flamboyant image. The problem is that I need an automatic, and find the 0-60 time of 9.0 on the 2.8q disappointing.
Old 01-18-1999, 02:02 PM
PhilJ

Default well...

Sorry, I can't really tell you the actual technical difference between the two, but...<p>- in auto mode, the A4 seems (to me) smoother than the 328. Shift points and gearing make a big difference in auto mode. These vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and Audi may have gone towards the "smooth" side rather than the "performance" side of the envelope. That's why the chip for the tiptronic will make a huge difference in performance, in tip as well as auto mode...<p>- I don't know how the quattro's torsen handles auto shifting<p>- different torque converters<p>And lots of other things. I don't have all the answers, you might want to expand your search of the forums.<p>keep in mind that you are comparing many different things at once when you compare the two. Their auto transmissions are designed differently depending on their priorities.<p>-Phil
Old 01-18-1999, 02:35 PM
Greg

Default Try Garrett's chips

I've got Garrett's tip chip, and the difference is night and day- rest assured it doesn't take 9 seconds to run from 0-60! That sounds VERY conservative to me.
Old 01-18-1999, 04:24 PM
Cureous

Default How does it affect the regular shifting

**<br>
Old 01-18-1999, 04:31 PM
Ali B

Default what exactly does the Garrett chip do?

Is it a performance ECU chip like TAP, Wett or Neuspeed, or is just for the transmission. I have seen the Garrett name on this forum only lately, and was just wondering what their chip does. Thanks.<br>
Old 01-18-1999, 05:24 PM
Dank

Default A guess: Gear ratios.

My first guess would be that the manual gets to 60 in second gear, but the auto needs to shift to third. And both BMWs probably reach it in second. Those numbers would sound right to me.
Old 01-18-1999, 05:26 PM
Greg

Default Re: what exactly does the Garrett chip do?

He's got ECU chips just like TAP and Wetterauer, but is the only one reprogramming the tip box. It makes all the difference in how the car runs.
Old 01-18-1999, 05:27 PM
Greg

Default Re: How does it affect the regular shifting

Shifting is even smoother than stock, but much quicker, especially in tip mode, where it is manual-like. Driveability is just like stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tiptronic too slow?