A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Transmission problem. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem. Need help!

so I’ve got this issue on my 1996 a4 2.8L automatic I’ve been trying to diagnose for a while now. When first driving the car it will go up to about 30km/h and then feel like something is slipping and feels like there’s friction slowing the car down. Then when I go up a hill whatever causes that goes away and the car drives and shifts just fine until it’s turned off and then it does what it was doing prior. Anyone one have any idea what’s causing this? I’ve changed the fluid and filter and added an additive that’s supposed to help with gunk and all that bs but to no avail. Can someone help, has anyone else experience this?
Old 10-08-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Is the car shifting smooth and going up through the gears as it should when it is doing what you described? If not, what gears does it go through? What gear is it in when it acts as you described? When you changed the fluid and filter what fluild did you use? How did you know when it was full? What additive did you use?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clancy
Is the car shifting smooth and going up through the gears as it should when it is doing what you described? If not, what gears does it go through? What gear is it in when it acts as you described? When you changed the fluid and filter what fluild did you use? How did you know when it was full? What additive did you use?
When it’s doing what I described it only makes it into second gear before it falls on its face. Once I head up the hill by my house it starts shifting excellent, up and down. I changed the fluid with Klondike universal synthetic ATF. It matches the specs for what is required. I filled it to what my manual said. On jack stands, level, tranny at 35-45*C (I was at 37) and fill it till some starts to come out the check plug. I added in a half bottle of lubegaurd platinum which my local transmission guy swears by. Would a transmission filter gasket potentially cause this? When I changed the filter I used the old one because I couldn’t get the new one to fit.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clancy
Yes. Kind of sounds like not enough fluid. The angle of the car going up hill might be transferring fluid to where it's needed, then it eventually drains back when the car sits level again.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

We have a 2000 A6 2.7 Tip and a 2001 A6 2.7 Tip. Both do not shift well when first started. The 2000 trans has been rebuilt and does better, it needs about a minute of idling before driving. The 2001 has never been rebuilt and needs longer. If I drive it sooner then it stays in first for longer than it should. When we lived at 8500 feet and needed to drive up a steep driveway first thing in the cold mornings this idling for a minute meant the difference between going up the driveway easily and getting partly up and then stalling, not the engine stopping, rather the car just not moving forward. Both have 200+ thousand miles. I accept these issues as old age. Maybe old seals that allow fluid to drain out of torque converter when sitting overnight. Maybe valve body tiredness. Not certain I know why. Both have regular fluid changes and filters and are filled correctly. Otherwise they drive just fine. Just moved to a new home 2000 miles away and they drove fine. I have learned to not over worry as these cars age and perform less perfectly.

What I am saying is some of these issues are necessary to correct, and some are not. If you know the fluid is filled to the correct amount and it is the right fluid then maybe you just drive it until it dies. If you like to fiddle or tinker then do another fluid and filter change and drop the valve body and clean it. Personally I will not put a couple of thousand into the trans until it just quits. The cost to pull the trans and rebuild is about the same now as a preventive or later IF I just drive it until the trans dies. The 2001 had the torque converter lock up quit over 125,000 miles ago. My Audi shop said just keep driving it and change the fluid regularly. No need to rebuild just for a couple of miles per gallon. As long as I did not mind the lack of a lock up making it a bit of a slushy ride. I am all for maintaining the vehicle, especially safety related issues. But a 20 year old car has to die sometime and I am okay with that. Decide whether you need to do this before it leaves you by the side of the road. Or, take a chance. How much do you want to spend on an old car?