A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Turn Signal Fix (2001 Hazzard Switch Replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This worked for me

I changed it without any difficulty. Used two screwdrivers at the top of the switch to remove it once the bezel/trim was off. The only thing I would add is that if you plan to swap relays as per the original post they are soldereed in.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=queezy;2500048]My trun signals went intermittent then failed last friday. Thanks to info on AudiWorld I figured the Hazzard Switch was to blame, but I could not find a HOWTO except for the TT, and my Bentley manual did not have proper information for the 2001 style controls.

So here's how I fixed it:
(usual discailmer: instruction worked for me, but proceed at your own risk.)
">

I hope this information is helpful.

Absolutely amazing - thank you looooooads!!! Fixed it in 5 minutes (after order taking a few days and £28ish online. I wonder how much a garage, local or Audi!? Registered just to say thank you!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default About the hazard switch and turn signals

I read this post and thanks for the valuable info. We took apart the hazard switch and started messing with it. We cleaned the contact points on the relay on which the turn signals which werent working slowly started to connect and work. As well as the hazard lights they finaly connected fine for now. So instead of replacing and wasting 60 bucks. Go ahead and give it a try and scrape the connections with a flat screwdriver and it very well could help you have 60 bucks in your pocket.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good write up, very helpful! I went the route of cleaning the contacts, seems to work for now. Saved me some $$$, Thanks!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi S4 B5 Signal flasher replacement

Took less than 5 minutes to remove and replace with new,
made a video to show how simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fci0HENT85Q
Old 05-02-2013, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just had my turn signals go out after owning my B5 S4 for 11.5 years and so had to go through this myself. Here are my comments for those in the future reading this thread:

My cupholder faceplate pops off easily and with it off I found my Audi key works even better than a small flathead, bent butter knife (although this is a good second), or even the 90' bent poking tool. I even had at my disposal a set of wax carving tools that were similar but just weren't the best tool. Let me clarify. I have a 2002 (really 2001.5) and the clips are really just push on type so an easy way of pulling straight out is needed. (I wonder if a suction cup would work? hmm.)

Using the Audi key I put the key in under the cup holder at the bottom right corner and put somewhat gentle prying pressure against the cup holder and the bottom and top right of the trim popped out so easily. Moved to the bottom left of the cup holder which is right next to the middle bottom clip and pushed against the cup holder and the middle bottom and top clips popped free just as easily. Now the left two are easy to get behind with just about anything but putting your hand behind and counter pushing would work or using the key again to pry it off the rest of the way is trivial. At that stage you won't need guidance as it is self evident.

I didn't notice the brittle nature or ever fear of breaking the male side of the clips as it seemed pretty sturdy and the female side of the clips (on the faceplate) releases easy enough. But I do trust others have had issue and would still advise caution from twisting or getting too angled. Ideally the faceplate pulls straight back towards the back seat evenly if that helps to visualize what is ideal (hence the suction cup concept).

I had more trouble getting the hazard relay module out but two screwdrivers and a whole bunch of prying let it release.

FWIW, I opened up and cleaned the contact on the turn signal relay, could see the corrosion and scratched it up until it was shiny metal again but it never did work after that.

I can confirm the relay's are soldered on and so swapping them is way more involved than saying it. The dealership had it for $59 or $64 out the door but I just bit the bullet so I didn't have to wait for cheaper online options to arrive.

Last point: It is the same part as the A4 and is even stamped with an A4 on the red hazard button plastic piece and confirmed with the parts guy.

Hope this helps others who have to do this!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have an intermittent problem with my turn signals that started a year ago. Sometimes when either left or right turn signal is engaged all of my turn signals blink as if my hazard switch was on. Tried replacing the switch, took apart and cleaned the stalk, nothing seems to help. Problem comes and goes spontaneously. It's a 1996 a4 quattro. Any ideas?