A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Unable to find any shops that use 3M tint film in my area..

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-1999, 07:18 AM
GusS

Default Unable to find any shops that use 3M tint film in my area..

The brands that they've mentioned are Llumar, Madico and Ray Ban. Some of the posts in the archives say that Llumar and Madico are top notch brands. I wasn't able to find anything on Ray Ban. I was quoted $200 CDN for regular film and $250 CDN for Ray Ban by Lebeau (the largest chain of local automotive glass shops), and around $225 by the others using Llumar & Madico.<br>What would you recommend? <br>Anyone else agree with BruceW that metallic tints look horrible on silver? I will most likely be keeping my A4 for another 5 years so I am inclined to go with metallic.<p>
Old 07-22-1999, 07:30 AM
IronMike

My Madico Autolux titanium tint has a slight green hue. Looks nice.
Old 07-22-1999, 07:42 AM
Chris K

Default Re: Unable to find any shops that use 3M tint film in my area..

Have a friend who just finished going to school for window tinting. Based on what his instructor told him, Lumar tints are by far the best quality tints available on the market.<p>Chris K<br>98.5 1.8TQTS Tap Stage II
Old 07-22-1999, 08:11 AM
sdb

Default my thoughts

I do not know a bunch about different types of tint but I have heard that Lumar makes the majority of tint out there. My understanding is when a company advertises 3M, it means the adhesive they use to bond the tint is made by 3M, but the tint is still usually Lumar.<br>As far as the silver metallic on a silver A4, I think it looks great. One of the car salesman in dallas has a silver A4 with the silver metallic tint, and his car looks fantastic. If I had a silver car, that's the route I would go.
Old 07-22-1999, 08:59 AM
Andy Hedin

Default I've got Llumar on my A4....

Looks great....too soon to see how it will hold up over the long haul.<p>Andy Hedin
Old 07-22-1999, 09:02 AM
cytoe

Default Just got SunGuard 30% put on my silver A4....

This tint has metalic content... doesnt seem to affect radio reception or decrease my V1 range. It looks very dark and not shinny (like luminar film). The dark non-reflective tint contrast the silver paint very well. Looks great IMHO.
Old 07-22-1999, 09:36 AM
Another Drew

Default Isn't the green hue from the glass and not the tint?

nt<br>
Old 07-22-1999, 09:46 AM
Chris Gerard

i have a metallic johnsons tint, slight green hue and similar to mirror tint. Looks great
Old 07-22-1999, 10:41 AM
GusS

Default Is there a brand/type that prevents heat from getting in better than others?

Old 07-22-1999, 11:20 AM
loreon

Default Having 3M metalic tinting done this weekend....

... the heat here in DC has been a killer. <p>I expect the tinting to help somewhat. Will post my thoughts/observations next week if you are interested.

Quick Reply: Unable to find any shops that use 3M tint film in my area..