A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChenga
can it be done without rewiring? my audi a4 is a 2000 model with full lcd, can i just install the stalk and it will work? if i don't add the wires what functions will not work?
cheers
no, if you want to switch between menus on LCD then you need to run wires from the stalk to cluster there are 3 wires required..
otherwise will be pointless to install the wiper stalk
Old 09-15-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 90 Likes on 86 Posts

Hey audifirst. Quick question. I have a 2001 cluster and want to know what the pin outs are for the lighting? I want to make my cluster lights turn on when I start the car so the locations I would need are the lighting pin and a switched power pin. I tried to decipher the manual but all that are mentioned are Terminal XX and Terminal YY and I don't know what those are. I thought I'd ask here before getting out the multi meter. Let me know if you know. Thanks.

Doug
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

I have a problem with a cluster on my audi a4 b5 2000/5. I have found out that something is emptying my batery to fast and all is indicating on the cluster. When i disconected the green conector on the cluster the curent felt from 0,24 mA to 0,04 mA. If anybody had that problem or maybe know a solution please share.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wondering if you can help me. I have an instrument cluster (8DO 920 950) which has an apparently rare 34 pin Half Screen LCD (most are 26 pin I'm told). Do you know where I can get one of these? Or if the unit 8DO 920 950LX would have the same 34 pin half screen as mine so I could buy it and use the screen. I have a late 1999 1.9tdi and I'm told that the LX cluster is for a 1.6 Petrol 2000 > 2001. If I can't get a new screen is there any way that I can get a different instrument cluster to work in my car? My Wiper Stalk does not have any reset buttons etc on it but I could obviously change that if need be. Hope you can help me with this. Should mention I am in the UK with a UK car and my problem is that the LCD screen doesn't work. If the 8DO 920 950LX one is compatible could I just fit that and get my the mileage set? Would be really grateful if you can help me on this.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just to add, the LX cluster looks the same as mine (half screen) but with a Voltmeter & an Oil Temp gauge, I'm assuming this is where the LX comes in.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi,

I have a question:
I put in the main instrument cluster (no oil temperature and voltmeter) to replace the oil temperature and voltmeter version?
Or required extra cabling?

Currently:

New:
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

X means it is refurbished cluster
Old 12-12-2012, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Trianta
Hi,

I have a question:
I put in the main instrument cluster (no oil temperature and voltmeter) to replace the oil temperature and voltmeter version?
Or required extra cabling?

]

first test the cluster in your vehicle and see if the voltmeter and oil temperature will work, your vehicle might be pre-wired for this option,
Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
Hey audifirst. Quick question. I have a 2001 cluster and want to know what the pin outs are for the lighting? I want to make my cluster lights turn on when I start the car so the locations I would need are the lighting pin and a switched power pin. I tried to decipher the manual but all that are mentioned are Terminal XX and Terminal YY and I don't know what those are. I thought I'd ask here before getting out the multi meter. Let me know if you know. Thanks.

Doug
is your vehicle imported from US ?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Englishpaul
Wondering if you can help me. I have an instrument cluster (8DO 920 950) which has an apparently rare 34 pin Half Screen LCD (most are 26 pin I'm told). Do you know where I can get one of these? Or if the unit 8DO 920 950LX would have the same 34 pin half screen as mine so I could buy it and use the screen. I have a late 1999 1.9tdi and I'm told that the LX cluster is for a 1.6 Petrol 2000 > 2001. If I can't get a new screen is there any way that I can get a different instrument cluster to work in my car? My Wiper Stalk does not have any reset buttons etc on it but I could obviously change that if need be. Hope you can help me with this. Should mention I am in the UK with a UK car and my problem is that the LCD screen doesn't work. If the 8DO 920 950LX one is compatible could I just fit that and get my the mileage set? Would be really grateful if you can help me on this.

Who is manufacture of your cluster Bosch VDO or magneti marelli ?
When you are looking for another cluster with the half/screen LCD you need to buy the same manufacture cluster to get the same LCD

Quick Reply: Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues