A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes had a 98 with cluster 1. Worked fine. My second 98 has cluster 2, but the screen seems to be heat sensitive. Works when car started, and works if outside temps are in the 40 and below, fades out otherwise.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 1.8t Quattro b5

hello guys please help me I have an audience a4 1998 1.8t Quattro manual transmission and have lost the only key I had. And I have another audi b5 with auto transmission 1.8 that has the key..can I swap the ignition barrel and ecu to the other one to use the key?
Old 09-24-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Start a new thread

Originally Posted by Eymans
hello guys please help me I have an audience a4 1998 1.8t Quattro manual transmission and have lost the only key I had. And I have another audi b5 with auto transmission 1.8 that has the key..can I swap the ignition barrel and ecu to the other one to use the key?
You will likely get a better response if you start your own thread. Your problem is completely different than this thread.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi.
I've recently done a cluster swap on my '97 A4 AEB, mostly due to the old cluster being LED backlit and getting pretty dim. also i didn't want to bother with cluster disassembly and soldering. so i bought a full-fis "highline" cluster. plugged straight in, no soldering, no immo bs, worked a treat right away EXCEPT... fis is not displaying anything, just backlight. i also installed new stalks with buttons, soldered them in, continuity tested them, only thing i can do is turn the fis on or off with reset button, nothing else. it really pisses me off that i got this far with everything working (except oil temp, which i know why) and fis sitting there doing nothing. i know temp and consumption signal has to be connected, but i don't feel like doing it if i don't know if fis will display it. it even has just one dead pixel row, as i found out while output testing with vagcom. after coding all warnings off, it beeps once on turn on and that's it, upper backlight stays yellow, but doesn't "display" anything. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default HELP - 98 Cluster upgrade without lcd

Originally Posted by audifirst
I will post part# tomorrow for conversion into LCD cluster
hello , I got a 01 cluster an the arm from the same car, is there a wiring diagram with the color of the wires ? I have all the necessary plugs , there’s a 10 pin plug on the cluster 2 I took out an there’s no right up for that harness .
if I could get pointed in the direction where to find the layout on the harness that goes to that so I can change the wiring so I can get all the sensors working an the wiper arm. Thanks
Old 08-18-2020, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@audifirst Hello,

Thank you for the detailed information! Do you happen to have the pin out of the outside temperature display (with outside temp & gear selection)? It seems to be a 10 pin connector but I am having a hard time figuring out its harness pin out.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-29-2023, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hi
i know that this is an old thread but it very helpfull
i have an A4B5 1.6 8valve 1999 facelift and two days ago i replace the cluster with one from A6C5 1.8T 20valve 1998

A4B5 VDO 8D0 919 861 H
A6 VDO 4B0 919 860 XP

dashboards are identical (no center LCD screen, 32pin back green & blue connectors, 10pin back center black connector)
just the A6 have 2 extra gauges of oil temperature & battery voltage.
Everything is working great apart from two things

A. the oil temperature gauge level is not working
B. the rear trank door open indicator is always on

any info how can i correct this issues?
The guy that swap the clusters and copy-write the immo and eprom could not help any farther

Old 05-27-2023, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Question about revving

If you have questions please post them here and I will answer them to best of my ability.[/QUOTE]
​​​​​​i have a b5.5 audi A4 I did an engine and gearbox swap from a 2000 a4 with a digital clock can the clock cause it to not rev up?
Old 05-30-2023, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello!!!
I have this cluster (Audi A3 8L), are the pinout the same as cluster 2? and if not can you please help me?

thank you.
Old 12-12-2023, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi, I have cluster 1. I am having an issue. My speedometer and Tachometer do not work. Then once in a while (rarely) they work on startup. When they do not work they make a whirring sound and seem to vibrate slightly on zero. I hooked up my laptop to the OBDII and even when they do not work The digital gauges show they are working. So wouldn't this indicate it is not the vehicle speed sensor? Which is why I think it is the cluster unless someone has another idea.
1. I want to test the electrical plugs/harness that plug into the Blue and yellow pin connectors with a multi-meter. How does one do that, what setting, etc.? Also which pin is number 1?
I want to do this before getting another cluster.
Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues