A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's virtually useless. I Have Bentleys for Saab 900s, BMW E30s and E36s, and Mk V VWs, and the B5 A4 is the worst of them by a margin. The Saab and BMW books are good enough you'd never consider the factory manual, but the Audi book is, at best, a broad overview with little detail. The exploded diagrams are often nice, but the words provide little insight to guide you.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is the harness in question as well as the back of the wiper stalk. All removed from a 1999 Audi A4 1.8t FWD sedan. The cluster is a full LCD cluster with an analog clock.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ok, probably the 4pin connector they mention is 6 pin, just have to look at the wiring when I will have chance and connect the dots , and make correction
Old 07-31-2011, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I know what the problem is. I looked at the Bentley for my Audi A6 , so the pin layout is for Audi A6, not Audi A4, I will have to delete the information, the stalk wiper/cruise control and headlight arms are different between Audi A4 and Audi A6
Old 09-17-2011, 10:36 AM
NOS
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all.
I just joined to get some feedback. Thanks in advance.
So..i did the following swap today. I have 1997 audi A4 avant 2,6 V6 FWD european version.
I had cluster I, with no computer and no voltage and oil temp. gauges.
I got both, gauge II and gauge 3(with partial computer)
As i heard cluster 3 is already from year 2000 and up and uses CAN BUS, so its not suitable. So I chose cluster II - though with max 5000rpm, cause its from diesel.
For my great surprise almost 95% of wires color codes matched.
I just pulled out the old wire pin and put it in the new original assigned pin.
Almost all went perfectly. For the fuel consuption i added 1 wire to ECU-s red plug to pin 8.
For the computer red plug some wires were left unplugged:
5 - Outside air temp.
6 - Selector lever display
9 - Washer fluid
10 - Hydraulic pressure
16 - Taillights/headlight low beam
19 - Brake lights

Also oil temp. left unplugged cause i didnīt had the sensor.
As a final result i got blinking immo light, glowing airbag,
and on the display i got 4 screens running:

and no other screens, no radio info and trip computer info either.

So any help (how to get rid of those warnings and display to work) would be appreciated, thank you
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Updated information all the pinout from 1996 to last B5 model A4 2001.5, and wiper terminals enjoy
Old 09-20-2011, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NOS
Hi all.
I just joined to get some feedback. Thanks in advance.
So..i did the following swap today. I have 1997 audi A4 avant 2,6 V6 FWD european version.
I had cluster I, with no computer and no voltage and oil temp. gauges.
I got both, gauge II and gauge 3(with partial computer)
As i heard cluster 3 is already from year 2000 and up and uses CAN BUS, so its not suitable. So I chose cluster II - though with max 5000rpm, cause its from diesel.
For my great surprise almost 95% of wires color codes matched.
I just pulled out the old wire pin and put it in the new original assigned pin.
Almost all went perfectly. For the fuel consuption i added 1 wire to ECU-s red plug to pin 8.
For the computer red plug some wires were left unplugged:
5 - Outside air temp.
6 - Selector lever display
9 - Washer fluid
10 - Hydraulic pressure
16 - Taillights/headlight low beam
19 - Brake lights

Also oil temp. left unplugged cause i didnīt had the sensor.
As a final result i got blinking immo light, glowing airbag,
and on the display i got 4 screens running:

and no other screens, no radio info and trip computer info either.

So any help (how to get rid of those warnings and display to work) would be appreciated, thank you
these are signals that you are missing, either your car is not wired or doesn't have the module or sensor basically you need to run new wires from cluster to each module /radio/ sensor in order to be seen by cluster, like you did to your ecu
Old 01-06-2012, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi, I've been driving my 1998.5 A4 1.8T FWD 5-speed with cluster #2/no LCD for almost 2 years now and decided I wanted the LCD display. So I got a cluster #2 with LCD (part # 8D0 919 930 LX) that still had the connectors with about 4 inches of wire still attached to each. I also got the new wiper stalk with TRIP buttons. (Paid $119 for all of it)

Today I pulled my old cluster, and discovered it doesn't have the
RED 20-pin connector as suggested in your first post. Instead my car has a BLACK 10-pin connector in its place with only 4 wires (brown/yellow, gray/yellow, black, brown). What do you think about this situation? Have you seen/heard of it before?

I don't care about pins 12, 13, 15 because I have an aftermarket head unit. Also, it is interesting that the connector that came on the LCD cluster #2 doesn't have a pin for RED 10 - where hydraulic pressure would go.

Do you have any advice here, maybe you have information about this black 10-pin connector and its 4 wires? I could easily tell you which pin slots are occupied by the wires as well.

This is the cluster originally in my car:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-98-AUDI...#ht_545wt_1163
Old 01-07-2012, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Today I pulled my old cluster, and discovered it doesn't have the
RED 20-pin connector as suggested in your first post. Instead my car has a BLACK 10-pin connector in its place with only 4 wires (brown/yellow, gray/yellow, black, brown). What do you think about this situation? Have you seen/heard of it before?

I don't care about pins 12, 13, 15 because I have an aftermarket head unit. Also, it is interesting that the connector that came on the LCD cluster #2 doesn't have a pin for RED 10 - where hydraulic pressure would go.

Do you have any advice here, maybe you have information about this black 10-pin connector and its 4 wires? I could easily tell you which pin slots are occupied by the wires as well.
]
Your vehicle will not have red connector because originally your car didn't come with full size LCD, so you have to make new connection with wires to those sensors pin 10 hydraulic is your oil sensor pressure
what are the wire colors for the 10 pin connector and which pin they occupy.
one of them is
Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audifirst
Your vehicle will not have red connector because originally your car didn't come with full size LCD, so you have to make new connection with wires to those sensors pin 10 hydraulic is your oil sensor pressure
what are the wire colors for the 10 pin connector and which pin they occupy.
one of them is
The wire colors I have listed above, but I haven't had time yet to disassemble the black connector to find out which position each wire occupies.

Pin 10 on RED I'm not worried about since my RED connector doesn't have a pin there, and on the BLUE connector there's already a wire for the oil pressure switch.

Do you happen to have a wiring diagram for "8D0 907 557 P" ECU? If you do we could find out which wire from the ECU can connect to pin 1 on RED for "Fuel consumption signal".

And as soon as I get time I will individually unplug each of the four wires from my 10-pin BLACK connector to determine their purposes. Then I will report back here so hopefully others can benefit from that information. As it is though, one of them is for cluster backlight dimming (my LCD cluster currently doesn't dim with the headlight switch), one will be for outside air temp display, and the other two we will just have to wait and see.

Quick Reply: Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues